• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment Grade Books

26 posts in this topic

I really hope you all are not tired of this question. I am new here. I want to buy some investment grade books and I am looking for any serious advice. After reading through many of the posts here, I don't know if GA will be in my grasp; certainly SA.

Any suggestions (especially from you wise veterans) about which books, raw or slabbed, which grades and where to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Keys from 1964 and earlier can be good investments in almost any grade although it wouldn't hurt to be discriminating about page quality and color strike. If you're looking at nicer stuff....8.0 and above is a good rule of thumb. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If you're looking at comics as you would any other investment, outside of the self-referential world of comic collectors, then you should remove any emotion that could be attached to them, as well as "what's hot" at the moment.

Do your homework on fundamentals and ask yourself if what you're looking at investing in is of overall cultural interest and relevance, but more importantly, if it is likely to remain so for decades to come.

There's a reason Action Comics #1 went for the prices that it has been selling for recently. The character is owned by a large multinational corporation that is keeping it relevant by continuing to release material based on the property, and it is a landmark item that launched a whole cultural phenomenon. There are very few other comics, if any, that have the same amount of cultural value.

Look at Websites like ha.com and study their past sales for items you're considering. You'll find that there are dramatic price decreases for the same item at times, which should give you caution.

Remember that bubbles don't just exist in the stock market. We're currently in what could be described as a bull market when it comes to certain comics, and bulls are often followed by bears.

Also - don't think of comics as an investment, because strictly speaking, like any other collectible or valuable item, they're not. They're speculative items or can function as a hedge, due to their lack of ability to give you dividends or income of any kind. You can only realise profit if you sell them later on.

"Ah the old questions, the old answers, there's nothing like them."

- Endgame, Samuel Beckett

Each time one of these new investor questions appears they seem to use syntax, and terminology that insiders here use, and ask similar questions that are loaded to lead to the same answers.

I really hope you all are not tired of this question. I am new here. I want to buy some investment grade books and I am looking for any serious advice. After reading through many of the posts here, I don't know if GA will be in my grasp; certainly SA.

Any suggestions (especially from you wise veterans) about which books, raw or slabbed, which grades and where to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Want to be good at picking the "right" comics? Want to make money through this hobby? Want to buy things that appreciate in value on a consistent basis? Start by reading comics and looking at the art. Learn to enjoy it, even love it. Then learn to grade. Then buy a few older issues. Then buy one for $5 and try and sell it for $10. Then see how your grades match up to CGC's by subbing a few you bought raw. Rinse and repeat. There are no shortcuts. NONE. You have to earn your experience from the ground up like everyone else. If you don't, you will just be the dumb money who buys overpriced keys from the wrong sellers, then dumps them via auction, takes a 10% vig hit and a 20% value haircut off the inflated prices they paid because they didn't know any better and leaves the hobby disgusted and with a lighter wallet. Happens all the time, sometimes even to experienced crossover collectors from other hobbies.

The best "investment" you can make in comics? Time. Time to learn why comics are awesome. Time to learn how to grade. Time to make your own mistakes and your own scores. Time to realize that you aren't going to make money by listening to someone else's opinions of what's a "good" book to buy.

It's not the sexy answer, but it's the only true one.

Thanks!

Paul

Investment grade can be a .5 to a 10. All depends on the book. Learn the market and how to grade, monitor the auction sites and prices, subscribe to gpa and then make your decision. Only solid advice I can give you is never pay for 9.8 bronze keys. That bubble has burst.

Want to be good at picking the "right" comics? Want to make through this hobby? Want to buy things that appreciate it value on a consistent basis? Start by reading comics and looking at the art. Learn to enjoy it, even love it. Then learn to grade. Then buy a few older issues. Then buy one for $5 and try and sell it for $10. Then see how your grades match up to CGC's by subbing a few you bought raw. Rinse and repeat. There are no shortcuts. NONE. You have to earn your experience from the ground up like everyone else. If you don't, you will just be the dumb money who buys overpriced keys from the wrong sellers, then dumps them via auction, takes a 10% vig hit and a 20% value haircut off the inflated prices they paid because they didn't know any better and leaves the hobby disgusted and with a lighter wallet. Happens all the time, sometimes even to experienced crossover collectors from other hobbies.

The best "investment" you can make in comics? Time. Time to learn why comics are awesome. Time to learn how to grade. Time to make your own mistakes and your own scores. Time to realize that you aren't going to make money by listening to someone else's opinions of what's a "good" book to buy.

Great post.

This should be stickied and brought out every time someone asks about comic investment because it's spot on.

Want to be good at picking the "right" comics? Want to make through this hobby? Want to buy things that appreciate it value on a consistent basis? Start by reading comics and looking at the art. Learn to enjoy it, even love it. Then learn to grade. Then buy a few older issues. Then buy one for $5 and try and sell it for $10. Then see how your grades match up to CGC's by subbing a few you bought raw. Rinse and repeat. There are no shortcuts. NONE. You have to earn your experience from the ground up like everyone else. If you don't, you will just be the dumb money who buys overpriced keys from the wrong sellers, then dumps them via auction, takes a 10% vig hit and a 20% value haircut off the inflated prices they paid because they didn't know any better and leaves the hobby disgusted and with a lighter wallet. Happens all the time, sometimes even to experienced crossover collectors from other hobbies.

Great post.

This should be stickied and brought out every time someone asks about comic investment because it's spot on.

+1000

Thanks!

Paul

Stop giving good advice Andy. For those of us that have put the time in, we need a few rookies now and again to pay over-inflated prices. Just makes life easier. :devil:

Stop giving good advice Andy. For those of us that have put the time in, we need a few rookies now and again to pay over-inflated prices. Just makes life easier. :devil:

Truth. Someone has to pay $30k for a Batman 8 in 8.0....and it sure isn't going to be me.

Thanks, Andy and all for your input. A few clarifications -

My question wasn't a loaded question looking for "the same answers". It was legitimate, using my own syntax and from the heart.

I'm not looking for any shortcuts. I've been reading/collecting and reading about comics for years - never looked at the hobby as a money making proposition. I have always collected for the stories and the art.

Now, I am in a position to actually buy some of the books I could never afford; the first of which I want titles to fill out my collection (mostly x-men or x-men related).

I was hoping for some opinions on reputable places to look for these books.

Again, thanks and I look forward to learning from and participating in these forums.

- Paul

Thanks, Andy and all for your input. A few clarifications -

My question wasn't a loaded question looking for "the same answers". It was legitimate, using my own syntax and from the heart.

I'm not looking for any shortcuts. I've been reading/collecting and reading about comics for years - never looked at the hobby as a money making proposition. I have always collected for the stories and the art.

Now, I am in a position to actually buy some of the books I could never afford; the first of which I want titles to fill out my collection (mostly x-men or x-men related).

I was hoping for some opinions on reputable places to look for these books.

Again, thanks and I look forward to learning from and participating in these forums.

- Paul

Hey Paul,

I started in the same place. Collected as a kid, then as an adult I wanted to get some of the stuff I'd always wanted. Spidey 300, Spidey 129, etc. I took it slowly though and I was glad I did. Too many people get burned by jumping into the deep end. My advice is to go for the common, cheap stuff first and shop around for more expensive books until you get a sense of who grades tightly and who prices well. That takes some time and the more looking and less buying you do to start with, the better off you will be.

The forums are also a really good place to buy. Not better than eBay necessarily, but safer.

Thanks, Andy! I appreciate your advice. I currently do not have any CGC books in my collection. However, I just submitted my first books. I've been trying to get a handle on grading and I am still on the fence about buying raw Vs. CGC.

-Paul