• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Younger Silver Age Collectors

133 posts in this topic

I'm 30 and started colecting modern marvels and worked my way back to the point where I am now refocusing to only collecting SA. I will most likely hit GA at some point. but I am not there yet (thumbs u

I'm 22 going on 23 in October. I've read some Marvel Omnibuses and Essentials that focused on the silver age through the years, but never bought the real comics since the money wasn't there for it. Got into the collecting of the original issues about a year ago now that my pocket money can afford to buy SA stuff. I was more a reader, less collector as a kid/teenager. Now its a little more balanced.

I'm 22 going on 23 in October. I've read some Marvel Omnibuses and Essentials that focused on the silver age through the years, but never bought the real comics since the money wasn't there for it. Got into the collecting of the original issues about a year ago now that my pocket money can afford to buy SA stuff. I was more a reader, less collector as a kid/teenager. Now its a little more balanced.
Best way to do it. I did it backwards, I'm now picking up all the hardcovers to read all of the stories. When I first purchased raw I did read them though, couple tape pulls here and there lol.

I'm 38, collected in the early 80's and started with SA first. Feeling older now since I've been adding more GA to the collection. ;)
Some collection you've assembled. I wouldn't even fathom that at 38. My goal is ASM 1-10 8.0(exception of my asm 3 7.5) 11-20 8.5 21-50 9.0 and I hope to complete that by 26/7. I'm afraid that's all I can invest into my collection because I will probably getting engaged/married shortly after.

Your Spidey run is awesome in my books. Nice to see you are assembling books that appeals to you. I was on an off, so collect gradual with passion.

Thanks, after the first spidey movie was released it was Spidey all the way. I used my birthday money for a VG ASM 17 21 25 after watching that movie. It's insane how the movies appeal to kids/teenagers, I wanted the original comics after I watched it. I guess that's good news for our hobbies future.

I remember my mom handing me a dollar and directing me over to the 10-for-a-dollar bins. But my eye was already on the Tarzan Treasury Sized edition. . .the green-covered one with him locked in mortal combat with a lion. She calmly explained that I could buy that ONE issue, but it'd cost the whole dollar and if I bought stuff out of the 10¢ each bin, I could get 10 of 'em. I would have nothing of it and insisted on blowing my only dollar on the Tarzan.

Best fükkin thing I ever did!

The art was so moody and just masterful that I couldn't believe that comics could be this good.

TOTALLY!

(I was getting my first silver age comics around age 15, at local shops.)

I just recently turned 30 and started freaking out a bit. I've been a collector on and off my entire life. I build up a nice collection over a few years and then dump it all in sales and start again. There are a lot of things I'd like to own (Showcase 22 for example) and recently turning 30 made me realize how fast time goes. So now I'm trying to focus and really save and hunt down the things that I want.

I just recently turned 30 and started freaking out a bit. I've been a collector on and off my entire life. I build up a nice collection over a few years and then dump it all in sales and start again. There are a lot of things I'd like to own (Showcase 22 for example) and recently turning 30 made me realize how fast time goes. So now I'm trying to focus and really save and hunt down the things that I want.

(thumbs u Pretty much exactly what I'm going through right now.

I'm selling books I never thought I would, all in the hope of getting 1 or maybe 2 books I've always really wanted. Your Showcase 22 is my Amazing Fantasy 15.

I am starting another mentoring project!

Years back, I was able to nudge a mid-twenties, non-comics buying Bat-Man fan into a full-fledged, ASM #1 owning SA collector/junkie.

Now, using the same gateway drug, a low-grade Fantastic Four #48, I'm getting a 30-ish Star Wars fan seriously jonesing SA Surfer appearances. Genuine enthusiasm is contagious!

I am starting another mentoring project!

Years back, I was able to nudge a mid-twenties, non-comics buying Bat-Man fan into a full-fledged, ASM #1 owning SA collector/junkie.

Now, using the same gateway drug, a low-grade Fantastic Four #48, I'm getting a 30-ish Star Wars fan seriously jonesing SA Surfer appearances. Genuine enthusiasm is contagious!

Nice (thumbs u

im 37, started collecting in the mid 80s and have always been a fan of silver age Marvel. I credit that to Marvels great strategy of reintroducing their fan base to the classics regularly.

My best friend and I loved the Marvel Saga series as much as our current ones. That got us the bug for collecting silver age FFs - which as a kid was hard, even if you could get most mid grades of early issues for under $100 - which may as well be a million for a 12 year old kid (not these days anyways)

some of my most prized comics are my fair condition, water damaged FFs ranging from 12-30. I was so excited to own something over 20 years old - especially the classic hulk, avengers, and xmen crossovers.

Today I try to include GA and SA DCs into my collections, but i just dont have my heart into it. Once I got FF #1 (and now have most of 1-30) theres not much more I want except for AF 15 and ASM 1.

SA Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense are also big parts of my collection, and still relatively cheap.

In summary, Marvel Saga ruined me for other time periods and publishers.