• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Younger Silver Age Collectors

133 posts in this topic

I'm 30 years old yet have been collecting silver age Marvels. I was thinking some people might think that strange because I wasn't even alive when these comics came out and didn't grow up reading them like other collectors. I'm guessing most silver age collectors are in their 50s or 60s. Yet, I grew up collecting Marvels in early 90s and love the history of the original 60s comics and the legacy they gave to the comics I read as a kid.

I'm wondering if there are any other younger collectors of silver age comics that weren't alive when they came out?

I just turned 40. Was not alive during the Silver Age either....but LOVE the books! :applause:

.....Yeah you do ! There's nothing else like a SA book ....back in the day, they were actually more sophisticated than the TV or Movies. I was thumbing through my FF 15 the other day and realized Stan was touching on Chaos Theory and Reconbinant D.N.A. before we wereeven hearing about it in school. I like all the different evolutions of the medium (even some of the Undergrounds lol ).....I started buying in the 60's and those books really had a profound effect on me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I saw a very young fellow....maybe 12, buy an Avengers 4 at a show.

It's really good to see you younger guys appreciate the older books,makes me feel confident in our hobby's future growth. :applause:

Yeah without newer, younger collectors the hobby dies. End of story. Would be great to get some teens in collecting Silver Age!

I just turned 40. Was not alive during the Silver Age either....but LOVE the books! :applause:

Ditto.

I'm not as old as grandpa here but also just turned 40. I was born after the SA and didn't start collecting until pretty much the end of the BA but SA is my main collecting focus (thumbs u

It's really good to see you younger guys appreciate the older books,makes me feel confident in our hobby's future growth. :applause:

Yeah without newer, younger collectors the hobby dies. End of story. Would be great to get some teens in collecting Silver Age!

Isn't Liam a 16 year old?

I purchased my first comic book when the first spiderman movie was released, I had to have been in the 9th grade. It was an ASM 17. The movie came out and I found comics in my grandmas basement. The perfect storm. Had a small stack and right then and there I knew I was a Marvel guy not DC. After purchasing a few in the 9th grade, I didn't start collecting again until maybe 2 years ago.

I always thought youse guys were old geezers like me. I too, got started through a relative. My Aunt was a young High School P.E. teacher and wanted to get some books together to ship to the troops in Viet Nam....then she found out the shipping would be the equivalent of several months pay. My cousins and I were the lucky recipients....we each got a stack almost as tall as we were. The trunk of her Chevelle convertible was packed to the gills with comics. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm 40 and absolutely love silverage books. Growing up with bronze and copper, no Internet, and very few reprints, these were the books I dreamed about being able to read.

I am just past 40 - my first comics were Star Wars and a few Hulk (1977) - bought a few here and there, then in 82 started collecting back issues from friends. My town didnt get a comic shop until late 1984 and that was a dream - opened the gate to silver age books. Then i got a J&S catalogue to help supplement. Still love Marvel Silver over all other books (except ECs are a close second)

Chao

Scott