• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Josef Rubinstein - Bad Commission Experience Warning!!!
1 1

128 posts in this topic

I am sure that Mr. Beck is a wonderful humanitarian, but remember, since Rubenstein is his client, any bad press about JR could affect Beck's bottom line.

It’s just good business to take (or at least appear to take) some action to rectify the problem.

I completely disagree with you -- Spencer is a great guy and has helped out in these situations for many fans of many different artists, clients and non-clients. He does this for the good of the industry and fandom and not for some monetary benefit or client benefit. I think you have this one all wrong.

Michael

This guy is still taking new commissions.....wow

DUDE!!! Please stop trying to stir things up here. Sheesh, isn't there a car wreck you should be chasing?

Look, Joe messed up and got behind. WAY behind. Spencer and him are doing the best they can to fix the situation. Did people get screwed by his taking so long? Absolutely but at least they are addressing the situation instead of just pretending it doesn't exist so be glad you're getting something instead of nothing which has happened to me more than one.

so be glad you're getting something instead of nothing which has happened to me more than one.

Yeah we'll see about that ! So far all I got is plain insults ( in private ;) )...which for the amount I've been ripped off is quite ..... absurd !!?? you tell me !

I think if he cannot be responsible for the work that was paid for while at the same time getting new work is a real problem for the new buyers who may be unaware of the situation, if you look at the link on his website it says approx 90 days with no refunds and no firm date, I guess they forgot to say up to 2 years. Trying is talking....doing is called the right thing....so is his website FAIR to buyers whom are getting NEW commissons...you make the call, but it is Fair game to comment.

Edited by Mmehdy

Romain,

I can't say what is going on with you but you have made clear that you do not want your piece. I am reaching out to the Hero Initiative as I think we may have Joe just do a piece directly for them. It will be more valuable to the charity than your simply tossing it up on eBay. It is very kind of you to resolve your disagreement with Joe by allowing the artwork to be donated to the Hero Initiative. It is a wonderful gesture and I believe they are likely to have Joe do a different piece that they feel will do even better. It is very kind of you and much appreciated.

I think if he cannot be responsible for the work that was paid for while at the same time getting new work is a real problem for the new buyers who may be unaware of the situation, if you look at the link on his website it says approx 90 days with no refunds and no firm date, I guess they forgot to say up to 2 years. Trying is talking....doing is called the right thing....so is his website FAIR to buyers whom are getting NEW commissons...you make the call, but it is Fair game to comment.

I don't understand why you are kicking someone who is way down. Spencer was clear -- he will take on new commissions as he needs to pay bills. By the way, there are MANY people for whom Joe has done commissions and done them quickly. There is a SMALL group of people (SMALL) for whom he has been terribly, terribly, terribly late. There is NO EXCUSE for that but please don't confuse the fact that he has delivered the vast majority of his commission work on time and will continue to do so. Again, that is of little consequence to the few people who have had to wait so very long BUT Joe is going to get to them and Spencer is working hard to make that happen.

I would think that this is a good story -- it was brought out in the public that a few fans were way way overdue and Spencer has stepped in to get the ship righted and the pieces done. Many artists simply take your money and are never seen or heard from again -- that is not the case -- the vast majority of folks who have dealt with Joe are HAPPY and received their work on time. There is a small group who have had a horrid experience and Spencer is working with Joe to turn that around. We've already heard that the painting is done so lets see what happens with the next one. Give Joe a break, please. Have you never done anything you are ashamed of or done something wrong -- he is trying to make it right so why persist in piling on again and again.

It is very kind of you to resolve your disagreement with Joe by allowing the artwork to be donated to the Hero Initiative.

Out of curiosity, does the HI give receipts for contributions? I don't know French Tax Code, but there might be some chance Romain could salvage a small deduction for charitable giving with a receipt...

(shrug)

Just a thought.

Andrew

Wow that's some news !!! Thanks Michael for not keeping me in the dark !!!! much appreciated !

So I totally agree and stand on my position regarding the Hero Initiative and I very much appreciate if all can be taken for since I've no idea how I should proceed myself ...

But I find it very pityful the piece Joe will donate to the HI be not the exact commission I paid $1.2K for .. for the record a double cover cosmic commission Avengers Annual #7 blended with Dreadstar #1 ??!! I mean my hopes are my so big investment and commission idea could possibly sell for a proper amount if it is to be donated to charity auction

Of course I don't bother getting anything for myself ( but simple respect from my pears ! ) but I can't be left in the dark, I'll need all the evidence Joe worked on something at least close to my commission theme and proof it is sold for the HI with no profit at all for any third party !!!

And if I never get these I'll never be even with Joe ...or his lawyers !

meh

It is very kind of you to resolve your disagreement with Joe by allowing the artwork to be donated to the Hero Initiative. It is a wonderful gesture

Goes deep into the heart !!! at last some kind words which are slowly taking me in and curing me of my anger

:hi::foryou::acclaim:

It is very kind of you and much appreciated.

Thanks Michael !!! Means a lot to me, really do !!!

:luhv:

Don't want to be mad at Joe and I'm glad he be doing his best to straighten things up

I think he should in the end ( let him finish the work for everyone first ) address personnally and publicly to the boardies ...I really think it would be the best of things to do

but I hope you understand my need of evidence in the matter of the commission toward charity, I believe a word from the HI should be enough for me though !

Well I'll remember Joe's first thoughts about my double cosmic cover commission when he said to me " that seems a lot of work but that should be fun " and stick to that faint memory while keeping true to my quest for published original comic art !

In the Lichty threads arguments is over what is art and is comic OA simply art ?

What I do know is what I collect, I'm not an art collector though a great art lover but I do collect published things and published original comic art is the best !

Have you never done anything you are ashamed of or done something wrong -- he is trying to make it right so why persist in piling on again and again.

If he was really ashamed, he'd churn out the commissions that he owes people and not take on any new commissions until they are all done.

I think it is a good idea to have an Artist Probation list to warn people of difficulties they've had with getting commissions done. I am astonished that there are a number of artists who take in new money to pay their bills while the people who paid them years ago can go to hell. And even more amazing to me is that the people who demand their work OR a refund (after waiting a ridiculous amount of time) are the ones who are made out to be the bad guys.

Edited by *paull*

I don't understand why you are kicking someone who is way down. Spencer was clear -- he will take on new commissions as he needs to pay bills. By the way, there are MANY people for whom Joe has done commissions and done them quickly. There is a SMALL group of people (SMALL) for whom he has been terribly, terribly, terribly late. There is NO EXCUSE for that but please don't confuse the fact that he has delivered the vast majority of his commission work on time and will continue to do so. Again, that is of little consequence to the few people who have had to wait so very long BUT Joe is going to get to them and Spencer is working hard to make that happen.

I would think that this is a good story -- it was brought out in the public that a few fans were way way overdue and Spencer has stepped in to get the ship righted and the pieces done. Many artists simply take your money and are never seen or heard from again -- that is not the case -- the vast majority of folks who have dealt with Joe are HAPPY and received their work on time. There is a small group who have had a horrid experience and Spencer is working with Joe to turn that around. We've already heard that the painting is done so lets see what happens with the next one. Give Joe a break, please. Have you never done anything you are ashamed of or done something wrong -- he is trying to make it right so why persist in piling on again and again.

Hear hear! There is no better process for this situation, given the facts. I don't know why people can't just give this new process a chance to work.

Hear hear! There is no better process for this situation, given the facts. I don't know why people can't just give this new process a chance to work.

Because despite the intervention, some people are still pissed about being strung along and screwed over--and rightly so.

It is very kind of you to resolve your disagreement with Joe by allowing the artwork to be donated to the Hero Initiative.

Out of curiosity, does the HI give receipts for contributions? I don't know French Tax Code, but there might be some chance Romain could salvage a small deduction for charitable giving with a receipt...

(shrug)

Just a thought.

Andrew

Andrew, they do give receipts BUT they are only good for US law. Some of you know I lived in the UK for 3 years and my accountant in the USA disallowed foreign donations we made as a UK Charity is not a 501©(3) of the IRS Code charity.

Wow that's some news !!! Thanks Michael for not keeping me in the dark !!!! much appreciated !

So I totally agree and stand on my position regarding the Hero Initiative and I very much appreciate if all can be taken for since I've no idea how I should proceed myself ...

But I find it very pityful the piece Joe will donate to the HI be not the exact commission I paid $1.2K for .. for the record a double cover cosmic commission Avengers Annual #7 blended with Dreadstar #1 ??!! I mean my hopes are my so big investment and commission idea could possibly sell for a proper amount if it is to be donated to charity auction

Of course I don't bother getting anything for myself ( but simple respect from my pears ! ) but I can't be left in the dark, I'll need all the evidence Joe worked on something at least close to my commission theme and proof it is sold for the HI with no profit at all for any third party !!!

And if I never get these I'll never be even with Joe ...or his lawyers !

meh

I do a lot of work with HERO and am taking care of the discussions. We believe that there are some other things Joe can draw that will bring in more money for the Charity and more money to take care of creators is better than less. The funds will go 100% to the Hero Initiative and there shouldn't be any third party profit taking. Of course, the Charity will send you a letter to let you know they have received $1.2K of value -- since you have volunteered to be last, it may be a bit of a wait but Hero Initiative will provide a letter documenting the donation when it occurs.

Because despite the intervention, some people are still pissed about being strung along and screwed over--and rightly so.

They have every right to be unhappy and every right to express it over and over publicly. It just seems suboptimal to do that given that Spencer has said Joe is working to fix things and Joe has finished the painting that started the chain. The gracious thing would be to see if Joe follows through and I would believe that with Spencer's help, he will.

Michael

I do a lot of work with HERO and am taking care of the discussions. We believe that there are some other things Joe can draw that will bring in more money for the Charity and more money to take care of creators is better than less. The funds will go 100% to the Hero Initiative and there shouldn't be any third party profit taking. Of course, the Charity will send you a letter to let you know they have received $1.2K of value -- since you have volunteered to be last, it may be a bit of a wait but Hero Initiative will provide a letter documenting the donation when it occurs.

(thumbs u I'll be waiting ..