• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing

17 posts in this topic

Hello. I don't know if this is the right page to ask, but I was wondering, why do people ask if a comic book has been pressed? From what I have read, pressing isn't considered restoration.

The CGC stance (I hope I get this right) is that pressing does not add anything to the book, so it is not a form of restoration. Keep in mind that there are forms of restoration that involve removal from the book (trimming).

The CGC stance (I hope I get this right) is that pressing does not add anything to the book, so it is not a form of restoration. Keep in mind that there are forms of restoration that involve removal from the book (trimming).

Trimming isn't restoration it's damage. It will get a purple label, but if no other work is done there will be no notes regarding restoration level (slight/moderate/etc).

Also, many ask because if the book hasn't been pressed, they see an opportunity to buy the book, press it, then flip it at a higher grade.

Some people also ask because they don't want pressed books in their collection.

A couple years ago I tried to keep only unpressed books in my collection but it became

a futile effort. Now, I don't mind if the book does not look pressed. For me, it's just another aspect of the book, like centering, that I now watch out for. If I am buying from a non familiar source I like to know if the book is pressed and who pressed it. If Matt or Joey pressed it I know it will look good, otherwise I will trend carefully.

Also, many ask because if the book hasn't been pressed, they see an opportunity to buy the book, press it, then flip it at a higher grade.

Oh, totally. That was assumed.

If I find a comic that was sitting in an attic that was pressed out of alignment would that be considered pressing? Probably not right. What wrong with getting it corrected by having a professional repress it back to the way it was?

Oh, totally. That was assumed.

lol

If I find a comic that was sitting in an attic that was pressed out of alignment would that be considered pressing? Probably not right. What wrong with getting it corrected by having a professional repress it back to the way it was?

Tread lightly and give the Gods of Funny Books 20 Hail Borocks. (tsk)