• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

not an excel person

16 posts in this topic

I asked about cataloguing in another post, a couple of people suggested using excel. I don't have excel so I downloaded a free office suite which includes a spreadsheet app, but I have NO idea how to use it. If any of you use excel to catalogue your comics, can you please send me one of your excel sheets so I can look at how you did it just so I know? I'd appreciate it alot tongue.gif

Vince

shadow2026@comcast.net

Just think of it as a large flat table. I doubt people are using mathematical functions other than to count up the number of books, etc.

Publisher | Book Title | Volume | Issue # | # Copies | Condition | Date Purchased | Purchase Price | Date Sold | Selling Price | Notes

are possible column types

hey, Death, do you really keep tracfk of every Modern book in your collection?

thats a lot of work for $2 books isnt it?

I did not to keep track of modern books, just to be able to find certain books. I have so many long boxes that it was difficult to find anything. So I just inventoried one box at a time. More for organization than value.

For example there was on time Darth mentioned a panel from a Marvel comic referring to an appearance by the Flash. It was extermely easy to find in a matter of minutes.

My spreadsheet has columns for certification?, serial#, GPA Average, Pedigree, original price paid, sold price, and I also calculate eBay final value fees and PayPal fees, profit/loss, etc. Takes about 20 columns or so but I can track my book from purchase to being sold.

eBay Final Value Fees Formula

Assuming final value price was in A1, the formula would be placed in B1:

=IF(A1<=25,1,0)*A1*0.0525+IF(A1>25,1,0)*IF(A1<=1000,1,0)*((A1-25)*0.0275+25*0.0525)+IF(A1>1000,1,0)*((A1-1000)*0.015+975*0.0275+25*0.0525)

Cheers to the formuite who gave us that forumla--it's been a butt saver many a time!

The key is to copy the formula down the column.

So basically, ask yourself "what's important enough to track", make the columns, and start typing. Cool thing about spreadsheets is that you can also do pivot tables, and consolidate and report information in a different format.

For instance, I can do a pivot table that summarizes how many books of each grade I have, by issue, or by publisher--or whatever! You are in control.

I consider spreadsheets "quick and easy". After a while, you will eventually want to be come more of a database guru, since there's less potential for data loss and there's lot of scripting that can be done to make your life easier. (ie design reports, forms, data validation, etc.)

Good point sterling, although I didn't mention graded books because he doesn't have any. I also use a more detailed spreadsheet for graded books, like sterling says that tracks cert #, PQ, price bought for, price sold for, GPA avg, etc.

What are you using --- OpenOffice?

Yea thats the one I'm using

That's my boy! Stop giving M$ your hard earned money thumbsup2.gif

Open Source Rules!

Hehe, ya Microsoft has enough of that already smile.gif

I sorted through the box removing all my FF's, bagged/board (or rebagged/boarded) the ones that were loose. All in all I have 49 different FF's, ranging from a beat up 164 to 392. Most are in great condition (I'd say at LEAST 8 on most of them, probably higher, but I'm no grader yet). Also a marvel guide to Fantastic Four (I'm not sure exactly what it's called, its a comic not an actual book, #8 if I remember correctly, didnt log that and I put my box away so I'm going by memory) and one annual, though again I'm not sure exactly which one. I also have 11 duplicates.

I used deathloks picture as my guide because it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I have 3 "sheets" at the bottom of my spreadsheet file, the first one I named Fantastic Four and put all my FF's into that one. It took a while, and I don't know how to sort it by publisher or date or issue # or price or anything else, all I know is I got a list 27_laughing.gif

I haven't counted the comics yet, but so far 62 total FF's and that wasn't even a quarter of the box!

It's gonna take forever to log all these books, and I'm not sure if I should have a seperate sheet for each title, or just one big sheet for everything. I'll probably end up doing 1 big sheet for everything and learn how to sort them properly. I know all the FF's are sorted because I entered them sorted already, but it would be nice if I could just type in every comic in any order then have them sort themselves out when it's all said and done, first by publisher, then within that by title, then within that by issue #... so in essence it would list first all my marvels, then within the marvels it would sort the titles by alphabetical order, then all the titles themselves would be sorted by issue, making everything neat and pretty.

I gotta learn how to use this program, cuz it would save me alot of work hehe

Vince

Just a suggestion.

I use a sheet for each box. So I would label a box as "A", the next box as "B", and so on. I then enter everything in that box on the corresponding sheet. I also have a combined list that brings over all data from every sheet, which is the picture I have above. So if I need to find a comic I know which box it is in by looking at the box letter on the spreadsheet.

Just a suggestion.

I use a sheet for each box. So I would label a box as "A", the next box as "B", and so on. I then enter everything in that box on the corresponding sheet. I also have a combined list that brings over all data from every sheet, which is the picture I have above. So if I need to find a comic I know which box it is in by looking at the box letter on the spreadsheet.

That's a great idea Deathlok! I have more than 150 longboxes and they are not sorted. I could inventory one box at a time though. Then I'd still know what I have.

Love what you've done with your hair! 893whatthe.gifthumbsup2.gif