• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop grades and slabs their own book...

194 posts in this topic

As of this morning, when I didn't buy myself breakfast before work, thus obviously providing myself with poor customer service, I have decided to never again shop in my own store. I am such a d-bag!

Richard, breakfast is very important. Please don't let MrBedrock treat you this way. :sumo:

As of this morning, when I didn't buy myself breakfast before work, thus obviously providing myself with poor customer service, I have decided to never again shop in my own store. I am such a d-bag!

Richard, breakfast is very important. Please don't let MrBedrock treat you this way. :sumo:

I had a donut for breakfast this morning. Yum

I would gather by this point that there is not a single shop in North America that board members would set foot in.

I haven't been on these boards even 2 years, and the number of times I've seen the statement "I'll never visit that store" must be in the dozens by now. I believe on 3 separate occasions people here have promised to never set foot in my store because they disagreed with my opinion on a topic.

Yet I'm somehow guessing these people will go back again and again and again to McDonald's, no matter that their error rate on your orders is something like 50%, or go back over and over to K-Mart or whatever Big Chain store with relatively lousy service they frequent.

But have a minority opinion, or make a joke a few people don't get, or make a single grading mistake, or don't answer an email quick enough, and it's "scratch 'em off the list" forever.

Unlike hamburgers or cheap import-goods, I guess there is such an abundance of good comics shops in America to choose from that we can write them off left and right over even tiny or once-in-a-lifetime infractions.

Perspective. It makes the world a better place.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

It doesn't walk OR look like a duck, as I detailed a couple of pages back. (shrug)

To each their own, but however you spin it the book is mis-represented.

It's a counterfeit slab. It's a broken CGC slab, CGC serial#, and CGC Hologram, Manipulated to say TCG. I know It's a low grade book with low value, and I doubt they're trying to scam some one out of hundreds, but it's still a mis-representation, and a bad counterfeit; and in my opinion (and apparently only mine) a dishonest gimmick at the very least.

Well, after the back cover picture was posted and the owner and book grader have posted the story that reveals all this as a harmless joke, maybe its a good thing that your opinion was apparently only yours

Don't really care if anyone shares it, It's my opinion. I stand by it.

I don't really mind being the "bad guy" here. Joke or not, It was a pretty bone-head move. and My perception of the place has changed because of it.

Come on man, just be honest. You do care whether or not people share your opinion. You posted angrily about 4 times on the topic even before you made that post that I quoted. You were definitely trying to make sure everyone knew your stance.

The underlined part of your quoted post that was in reference to your opinion- "and apparently only mine"- comes across as someone who is frustrated that he can't turn this into a witchhunt. That's something very commonly seen on comics general- people want to crucify others (dealers) for not living up to their individual standards, and when people don't mindlessly jump in for the kill fast enough, you can frequently see the offended party pout some sort of variation on "I guess no one cares".

...and it's a bone headed move to have a simple gag gift? That seriously changes your perspective on this particular business?

Lighten up, Francis.

I really don't care, that doesn't mean I wasn't surprised no one else had an issue with this.

I'm not really much for CG, I don't hang out here often. The only reason I even clicked on this thread is because Mark 1 is friend of mine. This whole thing rubs me the wrong way, smells fishy. Maybe I'm wrong, but regardless, It's enough for me to no longer visit a place I go to maybe twice a year.

You don't know me Bill, and I don't know you. So it is what it is. If you think I'm trying to start a dog pile , or that I'm upset that I didn't start one... that's your opinion, your entitled to it.

I'm gonna bow out of this thread, but if you feel the need to continue our conversation, my pm box is always open.

I would gather by this point that there is not a single shop in North America that board members would set foot in.

I haven't been on these boards even 2 years, and the number of times I've seen the statement "I'll never visit that store" must be in the dozens by now. I believe on 3 separate occasions people here have promised to never set foot in my store because they disagreed with my opinion on a topic.

Yet I'm somehow guessing these people will go back again and again and again to McDonald's, no matter that their error rate on your orders is something like 50%, or go back over and over to K-Mart or whatever Big Chain store with relatively lousy service they frequent.

But have a minority opinion, or make a joke a few people don't get, or make a single grading mistake, or don't answer an email quick enough, and it's "scratch 'em off the list" forever.

Unlike hamburgers or cheap import-goods, I guess there is such an abundance of good comics shops in America to choose from that we can write them off left and right over even tiny or once-in-a-lifetime infractions.

It doesn't walk OR look like a duck, as I detailed a couple of pages back. (shrug)

You clipped my post and now it's out of context. :eyeroll:

You clipped my post and now it's out of context. :eyeroll:

hm

Guess so. :foryou:

In the end, I wasn't really replying to you, per se, but to the approach some have taken that indeed, 'if it walks like a duck...'. They don't seem to have considered that there's just no way this is a viable scam idea.

When one considers how sophmoric the humour here can be -- how much free rein a poster can be given -- I am a little surprised with some of the pitchforks in the face of such a mild parody.

It seems that we have found a new heresy.

wilsonnothingsacred.jpg

Wow, I just read this whole thread....what a waste of time. This thread would have been better off if it was never started. The original poster should of gotten all the details before throwing anyone under the bus. $125 for a Avengers #1 in a joke slab with a disclaimer on the back is not ripping anyone off by no means! :sumo:

Too bad they'll never know the awesome power and community influence I wield as owner of an LCS... mayors and city managers and councilmen leap to respond to my every whim! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No wonder Gem City is doing so well (thumbs u

Actually, the Dayton area is doing pretty lousy. 2 more businesses within a block of me just closed down.

I said I had a lot of influence.

I didn't say it wasn't an evil influence!

:devil:

Wow, I just read this whole thread....what a waste of time. This thread would have been better off if it was never started. The original poster should of gotten all the details before throwing anyone under the bus. $125 for a Avengers #1 in a joke slab with a disclaimer on the back is not ripping anyone off by no means! :sumo:

If you read the thread you would know I never threw the store under the bus. I said they were not guilty of doing anything fraudulent. Or did you not read that?

And how am I supposed to know the disclaimer was changed? The font is tiny and I would never know to read it unless it was pointed out to me.

This thread was not a waste of time regardless if it was a joke item or not. I posted it to show what I saw for sale. I left the opinions of it to those on the forum. Some cried foul...some thought no problem.

I gather this is the point in the thread where the attacks on me start. Bring it on if necessary.

Too bad they'll never know the awesome power and community influence I wield as owner of an LCS... mayors and city managers and councilmen leap to respond to my every whim! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No wonder Gem City is doing so well (thumbs u

Actually, the Dayton area is doing pretty lousy. 2 more businesses within a block of me just closed down.

I said I had a lot of influence.

I didn't say it wasn't an evil influence!

:devil:

lol

If you read the thread you would know I never threw the store under the bus. I said they were not guilty of doing anything fraudulent. Or did you not read that?

And how am I supposed to know the disclaimer was changed? The font is tiny and I would never know to read it unless it was pointed out to me.

This thread was not a waste of time regardless if it was a joke item or not. I posted it to show what I saw for sale. I left the opinions of it to those on the forum. Some cried foul...some thought no problem.

I gather this is the point in the thread where the attacks on me start. Bring it on if necessary.

You mother :censored: er!!!! How dare you?!? Who do you think you are!!! :baiting:

I'm just kidding man, you know I have no problem with you. I believe 100% what Tate and his grader have said but if you or anyone else don't, that's fine. Even if you believe the absolute worst, this is a $125 book. Compared to the scams a million and one other people are pulling with comics, this is small potatoes even if you think the worst (shrug)

I believe what they said and will repeat...

I do not think they were trying to scam anyone intentionally. They probably thought it was funny.

I will add to this story that this is not the first time they have "joke" slabbed a comic. I saw two "joke" slabs several months ago at their store (i think they were modern comics but can't recall). At that time I saw them they weren't for sale and the grade was a perfect 10. I took it as a joke then and never thought much about it. I didn't see the joke disclaimer on the back that time either and those slabs weren't sealed up.

So this was not a one off occurrence.