• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop grades and slabs their own book...

194 posts in this topic

No bad press for Tate's going on here from my perspective. It's a cool store and I agree people should check it out if down in South Fl.

I posted this because I knew this was not a wise decision on the store's behalf and it deserved to be known what goes on out there.

doh!

Just for full disclosure, I'm friends with Tate and his wife so it sucks for me to have this out there and him getting bad press here. It's a GREAT store that's been around forever. I would tell anyone that if you're in South Florida and you DON'T go there, you need to have your head examined :screwy: As long as you aren't looking for HG slabs, they pretty much have something for everyone and all 15 or so of their staff are awesome, helpful, friendly people.

That said, this was NOT. Good decision by them. I'm trying to decide if I should wait til morning or make a call right now to discuss removing that FAST hm

Regardless, it's fishy as all hell. What would be the benefit of fake slabbing this book. It's a Scummy move on their part

I have family in Fl and have been there before, never again.

Hey, to each his own (thumbs u

I can see people thinking that and obviously I'm biased but I really don't think there was any nefarious intentions (shrug)

Like someone else said, I think he thought this was some neat, gimmicky thing to do and just did a REALLY poor job thinking it thru. Knowing him, that's how his head works in terms of gimmicks/promotions. Others might disagree but I really don't think he has a bad bone in his body and even when I was just some joe schmoe shopping there before we became friends, I NEVER had a bad experience there.

Just to be clear, I'm not defending this, it was a REALLY bad move IMO. I just don't think there were bad intentions or an intent to defraud behind this (shrug)

doh!

Just for full disclosure, I'm friends with Tate and his wife so it sucks for me to have this out there and him getting bad press here. It's a GREAT store that's been around forever. I would tell anyone that if you're in South Florida and you DON'T go there, you need to have your head examined :screwy: As long as you aren't looking for HG slabs, they pretty much have something for everyone and all 15 or so of their staff are awesome, helpful, friendly people.

That said, this was NOT. Good decision by them. I'm trying to decide if I should wait til morning or make a call right now to discuss removing that FAST hm

Regardless, it's fishy as all hell. What would be the benefit of fake slabbing this book. It's a Scummy move on their part

I can see people thinking that and obviously I'm biased but I really don't think there was any nefarious intentions (shrug)

Like someone else said, I think he thought this was some neat, gimmicky thing to do and just did a REALLY poor job thinking it thru. Knowing him, that's how his head works in terms of gimmicks/promotions. Others might disagree but I really don't think he has a bad bone in his body and even when I was just some joe schmoe shopping there before we became friends, I NEVER had a bad experience there.

Just to be clear, I'm not defending this, it was a REALLY bad move IMO. I just don't think there were bad intentions or an intent to defraud behind this (shrug)

If he sells it as a slab, that's bad intent imo.

unless it's just in the slab for display purposes to show the grade, and is given to the eventual buyer raw. It's scammy.

unless it's just in the slab for display purposes to show the grade, and is given to the eventual buyer raw.

So how does this compare to someone selling a raw book in mylar with the CGC label?

doh!

unless it's just in the slab for display purposes to show the grade, and is given to the eventual buyer raw. It's scammy.

Like i said, to each his own and i'm biased so i'm not going to say anything about anyone else's judgement of the situation (thumbs u

doh!

People make mistakes. Don't you?

(shrug)

I'm sure the owner will recognize this wasn't a well planned out idea and will be looked at as a mistake in hindsight. I do not think the intent here was nefarious.

I don't veiw this as a mistake, I veiw this as trying to cash in on movie hype by adding fake integrity to the book.

Now maybe when someone comes in to buy the book, the workers say " here's the Avengers 1, the label and slab are meaningless though. we faked it" but I doubt it.

and yes I make mistakes, and I pay for them.

I don't veiw this as a mistake, I veiw this as trying to cash in on movie hype by adding fake integrity to the book.

Now maybe when someone comes in to buy the book, the workers say " here's the Avengers 1, the label and slab are meaningless though. we faked it" but I doubt it.

Oh, everyone pays for their mistakes...but we all are generally given the benefit of the doubt unless proven guilty.

:)

Jason, I'm sure they're good people and just running a business but I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to let them know that this particular book found it's way onto the CGC board and it's only a matter of time before the company takes action one way or another.

I think that would be the diplomatic solution...

And looking out for those that you have an established relationship with! :)

Jason, I'm sure they're good people and just running a business but I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to let them know that this particular book found it's way onto the CGC board and it's only a matter of time before the company takes action one way or another.

Definitely going to do that but since they have a 2 week old baby, im thinking the morning is better than 9pm (shrug)

Oh, everyone pays for their mistakes...but we all are generally given the benefit of the doubt unless proven guilty.

well I can't prove guilt, but what would be the benefit of fake slabbing something? as Sufunk said, to each their own. But they will never see me again.

Mistakes? I've made a few.

But then again, too few to mention.

I agree. It just seems like an error in judgment. Nothing points to nefarious at this point, just really not well thought out or aware of potential infringement.

The action that is taken after being given notice of the potential problem is more important, at this point, in terms of determining intent.

well I can't prove guilt, but what would be the benefit of fake slabbing something? as Sufunk said, to each their own. But they will never see me again.

You're assuming there was an intent to trick or deceive just from someone posting one picture.

I'd hate to be at the mercy of that kind of jury.

It really depends whether or not he intended to sell the book or not. It could have been a fun way (from his point of view) to draw attention to his store or the book.

I think the people that know the guy and the store are more qualified to talk about his integrity than anyone else.

It's a bit unfair to judge someone without knowing them or their motives.

Definitely going to do that but since they have a 2 week old baby, im thinking the morning is better than 9pm (shrug)

Agreed. (thumbs u