• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop grades and slabs their own book...

194 posts in this topic

I doubt deception was the intent - probably just having some fun, perhaps without thinking it all the way through. If someone was wanting to scam potential buyers I can't see them choosing to do it with a ragged beater that wouldn't be worth a dime more even if it were a gift grade in an actual CGC holder. Now if it were a Bronze Key in a homemade 9.6+ holder that would be another story.

I don't veiw this as a mistake, I veiw this as trying to cash in on movie hype by adding fake integrity to the book.

Now maybe when someone comes in to buy the book, the workers say " here's the Avengers 1, the label and slab are meaningless though. we faked it" but I doubt it.

and yes I make mistakes, and I pay for them.

Oh, everyone pays for their mistakes...but we all are generally given the benefit of the doubt unless proven guilty.

:)

well I can't prove guilt, but what would be the benefit of fake slabbing something? as Sufunk said, to each their own. But they will never see me again.

You're assuming there was an intent to trick or deceive just from someone posting one picture.

I'd hate to be at the mercy of that kind of jury.

To each their own, but however you spin it the book is mis-represented.

It's a counterfeit slab. It's a broken CGC slab, CGC serial#, and CGC Hologram, Manipulated to say TCG. I know It's a low grade book with low value, and I doubt they're trying to scam some one out of hundreds, but it's still a mis-representation, and a bad counterfeit; and in my opinion (and apparently only mine) a dishonest gimmick at the very least.

Jason, I'm sure they're good people and just running a business but I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to let them know that this particular book found it's way onto the CGC board and it's only a matter of time before the company takes action one way or another.

I think that would be the diplomatic solution...

And looking out for those that you have an established relationship with! :)

Definitely going to do that but since they have a 2 week old baby, im thinking the morning is better than 9pm (shrug)

Yeah is better to wait for morning.

if this was a joke to just have fun then it wasn't though out completetly. Just like i said it was could have been a trade in for credit or cash and if that was the case then they got scam.

There sure is a ton of judgmental hoohaw going on in this thread.

does the owner know what cgc is?

how much was the book being sold for and was it being sold as a professionally graded comic?

those kind of questions need to be answered before we jump the gun on labeling this guy a crook

if it was being sold as " yeah we cracked a slab and just made our own label" then it was probably just for fun. if it was " this was graded professionally and we want 10k for it" then yeah it was probably a scam. hopefully the owner can shed light on this tomorrow

Yes it looks shady and was not a smart decision to do it.

I just do not think the owner had any intent to defraud someone. It's a bad decision to even joke about it as a item for sale. It infringes on the CGC name, service and waters down the very books we buy that are legit. That's my feeling on it.

He has a lot of other SA and GA books on the shelf ...no other books were in slabs. So this is an isolated situation. But, was interesting to let you see what someone thought was a good idea.

does the owner know what cgc is? Yes they do

how much was the book being sold for and was it being sold as a professionally graded comic?

Call and find out. :gossip:

those kind of questions need to be answered before we jump the gun on labeling this guy a crook They aren't crooks. That much I can tell you. That's very wrong to say and I'll be the first to say it

those kind of questions need to be answered before we jump the gun on labeling this guy a crook

if it was being sold as " yeah we cracked a slab and just made our own label" then it was probably just for fun. if it was " this was graded professionally and we want 10k for it" then yeah it was probably a scam. hopefully the owner can shed light on this tomorrow

Yes he does know whaat CGC is but there are maybe 5 slabs in the entire store and i dont think any are more than maybe $100. They dont really deal in slabs (thumbs u

does the owner know what cgc is? Yes they do

Call and find out. :gossip:

wait those were rhetorical, i was trying to defend the whole innocent until proven guilty theory

It's a CGC slab, with a CGC hologram sticker, and a CGC label that was altered to change the name and all the information on it.

So I think he probably knows what CGC is...I mean, aside from owning a comic shop in this decade and it not being on the arctic circle. lol

Still, I think this was just an error in judgement to market a high profile key.

Whatever his intent is doesn't really matter,it's the end result.Changing CGC's slab is a misrepresentation of their product,which is fraudulent.

thats true but i checked his website and it seems he has a large, dedicated customer base. iono, just seems like it was purely promotional or a joke

Whatever his intent is doesn't really matter,it's the end result.Changing CGC's slab is a misrepresentation of their product,which is fraudulent.

thats true but i checked his website and it seems he has a large, dedicated customer base. iono, just seems like it was purely promotional or a joke

I GUARANTEE you that it was nothing more than a joke (thumbs u

Im biased like i said so anyone else can form their own judgements and think what they want but i more than anyone other than maybe gator apparently actually KNOW him and how he thinks. Never in a million years would i believe that he did this to defraud or trick anyone.

In my mind, this was a completely innocent JOKE on his part (shrug)

I remember when Tate was still in high school and his mom and/or dad watched the store for him till he got out.

His dad still works there as well (thumbs u

Talked to him for like 10 minutes today, a genuinely good guy ;)

I GUARANTEE you that it was nothing more than a joke (thumbs u

Im biased like i said so anyone else can form their own judgements and think what they want but i more than anyone other than maybe gator apparently actually KNOW him and how he thinks. Never in a million years would i believe that he did this to defraud or trick anyone.

In my mind, this was a completely innocent JOKE on his part (shrug)

Well you know him,and I don't.I see this pic at face value.