• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree

26 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever submitted a book and have it come back as a pedigree, without them knowing it was one?

I asked in the "ask CGC" forum and it has not posted yet.

I sent a book in on Friday that after doing some research, there is a long shot that it might be a "Larson" copy.

Just curious if CGC can determine the pedigree status and do they search for it, if no request was made by the submitter?

I do personally know of several Golden Age pedigree comics that came back with pedigree designations. The submitters were very pleased to say the least.

Did you specify it as the Larson?

Some Pedigrees are easy to pick out of a lineup, others need some supporting information to verify them.

No, I did not.

It has an "L" on the cover. In my stoopidity, I thought Larson copies all said "Larson".

I did not know that sometimes he put "Lamont" and other times "L Larson" and others just "L".

It is clearly the same style "L" but is such a low grade that I did not think it was from the pedigree.

I was just researching the pedigree tonight and realised there was a possibility.

There are tons of GA books that have an L on them for some reason and most of them are not Larson copies.

Very common mistake. I made it years ago thinking I had a Larson. Sorry to burst your bubble.

:foryou:

This is a book I used to own that had an L on it but was certainly not a Larson as it came from an OO collection called the Detroit Trolley collection.

MarvelMysteryComics54_0ow.jpg

That looks like my L

No bubble to be burst, I seriously doubted that a mid 1940's book in 3.5 grade would be from that mans collection.

SO now I have a new quest............to find out why the hell kids in the 40's put L's on their comics.

That's such a sweet cover. :cloud9:

I know. I miss the book. Sold it last year I think. Probably my #3 cover after #4 and #9.

love the paprika red logo, the greens, the lady in the glass tube, the square jaw on the Torch...the logo, if you look carefully...was hand drawn.

It screams GA.

Oh well, one day I'll own another.

That looks like my L

No bubble to be burst, I seriously doubted that a mid 1940's book in 3.5 grade would be from that mans collection.

The Larsons stop in 1941...

That looks like my L

The Larsons stop in 1941...

guess I should have read more.

That looks like my L

SO now I have a new quest............to find out why the hell kids in the 40's put L's on their comics.

a couple of the lost larsons look like a truck ran over them 500 times. always a shot. (thumbs u

I had a pedigree come back as a non-pedigree. Sent in a Green River Our Army at War 158 with certifacate. It came back with no certificate and without notation that it was a Green River. I called and they said they never got the certificate. I put the certificate in the sealed mylar in front of the cover. :pullhair:

They told me to resub with another Green River book. I had one put it wasn't a book worth grading. Since it has lost it's pedigree maybe I'll press the heck out of it. :devil:

My Amazing Spider-man #4 came from a Pedigree collection. I remember when I bought it back in 2000 that it was part of some pedigree collection. However, pedigree never meant anything to me (doesn't really hold much of my attention today either) and I lost the designation when I changed the bag and board.

So... somewhere out there, if someone is looking for a lost ASM #4 Pedigree book, it resides in the state of NY under my ownership.

It came back as a 5.0 White pages... I thumbed the top cover by accident which may have dropped it a full grade or two. Probably go back to a 6.5 or a 7.0 with a pressing. Oh well... Still a beautiful book.

We found a bunch of pedigree books that people never knew were peds and certified them as such.

Got some nice "thank you" phone calls over the years.

I had a surprise White Mountain ASM. That was pleasant.

One time many years ago at CGC, I found at least 1 pedigree book every day that was not submitted as a pedigree. This happened 9 days in a row!

In one submission, I discovered 3 of the books were San Francisco Marvel Mystery's. Needless to say, that submitter was in awe of what he had.