• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a difference a couple months makes on Thanos prices

150 posts in this topic

I'm going to go on a limb and say that (money-wise) IM55 is going to be regarded in the same company as Hulk 181, ASM 129 and X-Men 94.

I couldn't tell you how much I disagree with the above. Even just money-wise IM55 will not have the staying power of 181 (9.6 averaging $4000 for over 6 years) and 94 (9.6 averaging $3000 for 3 years). You are comparing the first appearance of a (great character-wise) super villain to the one of the key bronze-age issues in all comics and first appearance of a character that shaped the Marvel Universe for years to come.

Sorry but they are not in the same league. 2c

I'm going to go on a limb and say that (money-wise) IM55 is going to be regarded in the same company as Hulk 181, ASM 129 and X-Men 94.

I couldn't tell you how much I disagree with the above. Even just money-wise IM55 will not have the staying power of 181 (9.6 averaging $4000 for over 6 years) and 94 (9.6 averaging $3000 for 3 years). You are comparing the first appearance of a (great character-wise) super villain to the one of the key bronze-age issues in all comics and first appearance of a character that shaped the Marvel Universe for years to come.

I disagree and see Thanos as the number one villian in all of comic book history,while Wolverine has lost popularity over the years just like

Chris Claremont and John Byrne have. In other words Wolverine`s best days are behind him,while for Thanos the skys the limit.

tumblr_lkuht8PHXd1qa0xnuo1_500.jpg

I have been on a Thanos kick since I was about 7:

IMG00261-20110119-2231.jpg

That's pretty amazing.

thanos has always been cosmically cool... but a 5 sec. post credit cameo has brough the character to the forefront... sure, he is not going to be a villian in the next avengers movie, but that shouldn't stop folks from seeking out comics with him in it, and that increased demand relative to current supply, is the reason for the spike in pricing... will folks grow tired and dump later, maybe..time will tell

I disagree and see Thanos as the number one villian in all of comic book history,while Wolverine has lost popularity over the years just like

Chris Claremont and John Byrne have. In other words Wolverine`s best days are behind him,while for Thanos the skys the limit.

In all comic book history? I can't take your post seriously after reading that.

In all comic book history? I can't take your post seriously after reading that.

He's been on a roll the past few days with wacky comments. :baiting:

I wouldn't say my statement applies to right now, but like I said - I do think it is going that way. Of course, it requires the right writing, stories and appearances of Thanos. The depth of his personality, power and objectives have untapped potential.

Those are all the makings of making a character popular. Wolverine started out the same way. What made him popular was the writing, his personality for the time and how he was utilized.

I totally see Thanos falling into this category. I have always felt this way, it just needed the right catalyst to propel him into stories that utilize his attributes to thier potential. Marvel is very smart when it comes to their film franchises - I believe we're going to see a lot more of Thanos in comics as they start laying the foundation for him in the films.

That Darkseid sketch on the bottom looks cool.

Almost as cool as the Superskrull in the middle.

Oh, you guys are going all Harold Fuller in this thread now. :censored:

And who's to say that Thanos won't pull a Benjamin Linus - bouncing back and forth between good and bad depending on the means to his ends? The anti-hero was big in the 80's with Wolverine and the Punisher, why can't the anti-villain be the next big trend in writing?

A character who's sympathies, loyalties and allegiances change with the circumstances is much more interesting than dyed-in-the-wool baddies like Dr. Doom or Loki.

Not that those two are bad villains - they're defining of the role. But it could be time for a new style of villain, and Thanos has mostly been written like that. We may find that fans are more receptive to a new type of villain.

Oh, you guys are going all Harold Fuller in this thread now. :censored:

Don't make me post a pic of myself in my girlfriend's halter top.

I wouldn't say my statement applies to right now, but like I said - I do think it is going that way. Of course, it requires the right writing, stories and appearances of Thanos. The depth of his personality, power and objectives have untapped potential.

Those are all the makings of making a character popular. Wolverine started out the same way. What made him popular was the writing, his personality for the time and how he was utilized.

I totally see Thanos falling into this category. I have always felt this way, it just needed the right catalyst to propel him into stories that utilize his attributes to thier potential. Marvel is very smart when it comes to their film franchises - I believe we're going to see a lot more of Thanos in comics as they start laying the foundation for him in the films.

I have to agree with Dr. Balls on this one.... the setting is set for a perfect storm, if that storm actually happens no one can know? (shrug) But it might, and if it does look out! :o

lol

Starlin added the flyaway eyebrows and chin ruffle to avoid the confusion (and trademark violation.) :)

How could someone confuse Darkseid with himself? (shrug)

lol

Starlin added the flyaway eyebrows and chin ruffle to avoid the confusion (and trademark violation.) :)

How could someone confuse Darkseid with himself? (shrug)

Here is the best visual I have - Half Darkseid Half Thanos:

IMG00246-20110119-2215.jpg