• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book/Collectibles Insurance

88 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a way to insure my comics/collectibles just in case anything bad ever happens. I've looked into a couple of companies such as collectibles insurance services (advertised by comic connect) but I'm still conflicted.

Is it better to go with a company that "specializes" in collectibles or just go with the same company as your car insurance? Have any of you ever had to make a claim? Did you have an easy experience? What companies would you guys recommend?

Thanks for helping a noob like myself!

Raul

I've been looking for a way to insure my comics/collectibles just in case anything bad ever happens. I've looked into a couple of companies such as collectibles insurance services (advertised by comic connect) but I'm still conflicted.

Is it better to go with a company that "specializes" in collectibles or just go with the same company as your car insurance? Have any of you ever had to make a claim? Did you have an easy experience? What companies would you guys recommend?

Thanks for helping a noob like myself!

Raul

I've used Collectibles Insurance Agency for years. Fortunately, I've never had to make a claim, so I can't help you there.

But back when I was getting quotes from various companies, I found CIA's rates were far more reasonable than any other company. Also, the process required by other companies was a massive pain in the behind. Most of them wanted three appraisals from industry experts and a lot of other documentation that would be difficult to provide.

I also use CIA. I think they have a sliding scale of required doc. For my policy, they just needed rough numbers for what kind of collection, and the value. I included my art on the policy too.

A friend of mine had to produce letters from the places he shops about how much he spends, pics, sale transactions, etc.

I think I printed out an inventory list of my books, but they never asked for it.

I am moving from a rental to my own home so was just looking into insurance for my comics. Couldn't incorporate it into my homeowner's personal property limit for reasons I'll give if asked. But I was going to go with Collector's Insurance, which is an affiliate of USAA. But now I'll call CIA and compare rates... Thanks

What kind of information did you have to give CIA in order to get everything insured? Thanks for the help.

I think they wanted the total estimated value of the collection. And an itemized list of any books valued at $5000 or greater.

What kind of information did you have to give CIA in order to get everything insured? Thanks for the help.
I believe books over 5K need to be itemized. Other than that, you let them know how much insurance you want. I believe there's several questions to anwser on the application as well.

I also have USAA for car insurance but wasn't sure if I should go through them, figure it'd be best to ask here.
I have always felt it's best to deal with companies that specialize in the service you need.

I also use CIA. I think they have a sliding scale of required doc. For my policy, they just needed rough numbers for what kind of collection, and the value. I included my art on the policy too.

A friend of mine had to produce letters from the places he shops about how much he spends, pics, sale transactions, etc.

I think I printed out an inventory list of my books, but they never asked for it.

Supply them your inventory list along with values beside each item. If you have a fire and all go up in smoke, it is very hard to tell them you had such and such without prior inventory.

Any thoughts on when it is time to insure your collection? I mean how much might you think is worth getting a policy on? I am wondering if folks with the level of collection I have, have insurance, as I currently don't.

I've thought about, and probably should though.

Any thoughts on when it is time to insure your collection? I mean how much might you think is worth getting a policy on? I am wondering if folks with the level of collection I have, have insurance, as I currently don't.

I've thought about, and probably should though.

Its not expensive compared to what you can lose, I got a quote of like $70 for a year for coverage on $15,000 worth through CIA

A few years ago when I had a bunch of expensive books I had CIA and I not only sent them a inventory , I also scanned every book and put them on a CD and sent them the CD so I could not only prove what i Had but prove condition.

IF anyone wants to know about this, I recently purchased insurance for my small inventory and I can walk you step by step through the process!

I'm glad to help anyone who needs it...all you have to do is ask. You can PM me and I'll gladly supply my phone number.

Can someone let me know what CIA's website is? The name is bringing up several different sites for collectibles insurance. Want to make sure I'm looking at the same one you guys like so much. Thanks!