• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 18th Motor City Comic Con

13 posts in this topic

This year marked my 18th year in a row going to the Motor City Comic Con. It was only by a fluke that a friend convinced me to go in 1994 with a free pass. I had been done collecting for 9 years by then and had sold off some of my collection during college. But, by 1994, I was 28 and realized I could afford JLA #3! ($40 in G+ 3.0) So, I bought it and the collecting bug was back in my system.

Now, let me be fair. I take a camera with every intention of taking pictures. But, I get there and I resort to laying low and really don't feel comfortable asking people to take a picture or just snapping some. But I did take this dull one while standing in line.

001-4.jpg

I got there later than I planned. Due to construction, it took 75 minutes to get there instead of 50 minutes. I thought the line would be reasonable at 1:00 pm. I was wrong. It stretched outside and then wound it's way inside. Took about 30 minutes to get in. One hold up was that Motor City wanted a form filled out. I thought that was absurd. Ask me nicely for my info, don't tell me I have to do it to get in.

There was a lot of eye candy this year. Many times it's someone dressed in something that doesn't flatter their figure. But this year there were some "aye carumbas". ^^

I had asked Dale Roberts and Bob Storms to bring some books as usual. They are my constants at this show. But first, I hit Lange and a few other dealers for some great buys on non-expensive BA books that fill my collection holes. (early 80's Brave & The Bolds, Avengers, DC Comics Presents, GL, Flash, MTU, Marvel Two In One, etc. )

Now, I've brought a Want List since 1995 but in the last few years I've tried a new angle for part of my purchases. I still focus on the Want List but if I come across some books I used to own but aren't on my List and were lost to memory, I buy the, It feels impromptu and kind of rekindles the old "magic" when I was younger. Chalk it up to nostalgia. Here's 3 books with no great significance except that I had bought them new at the drug store back in the day and got rid of them 26 years ago.

004-1.jpg

All of them gave me pause, a smile and flood of memories. It's as if I can smell Lindau Pharmacy in downtown Sylvania, Ohio. I don't have those titles on my Want List so I rarely visit those areas.

After that, I went over to Dale's booth. I've said it before and I'll say it again, buying from Dale is always a pleasure and a tradition. I have literally bought something from Dale at every Motor City Show he's been to since he started in 1996 or 97. He always has great stock and one of the most personable people in the business. Many of my late SA JLA's came from him and he's a big reason I was able to complete that run. He brought these 2 CGC Avengers with him for me.

002-3.jpg

And I also found a great Action #340 (1st Parasite) and Amazing Adventures #9.

005-4.jpg

After visiting with Dale, I went over to my other dealer constant, Highgrade Comics aka Bob Storms. Bob brought a few CGC books I enquired about and offered up some advice when I asked him. I got these 2 beauties from him, when I was thinking I'd only be able to get one.

003-3.jpg

I've been eyeing a TOS #49 for about 5 years but never really found one that struck me. They were either overgraded or out of my price range. Bob had a really nice 6.0. Plus, the X-Men #51 has White pages and Bob's advice regarding buying that due to Steranko over #21 CGC 9.2 made a lot of sense. Bob was great to chat with and hear his stories as well as his knowledge on the industry. It's funny, Bob told me to try Wizard Chicago because there are a lot of dealers. I told him I did last year and I spent 90% of what I bought there with him and Dale. lol

What I really appreciate about Dale & Bob is that they have exceptional customer service. I'm not a big spender, maybe $200 - $500 with each per year. But they go out of their way to help me with what works for me in my collection. (I hope there will come a day when I bring $2000+ to a Comic Con vs. $600 - $800. lol )

I also got to say Hi to Detroit Mike and chat briefly at the Motor City booth but they got busy so I didn't want to be a bother. Other than that, I saw no one else I knew. By 5:00, I was done and made for the exit. I'm happy with what I purchased this year. I've got to imagine the dealers get tired by each night. I'm pretty sure those shows can be mentally and physically tasking standing on the cement all day, keeping an eye that books don't "walk away", etc. It would probably be interesting to help out (a dealer) some year to experience it. I volunteered with Motor City a few years ago and it stunk. But, I also felt they had no clue how to manage volunteers and shift their duties to prevent boredom. (I got a fire door to sit by for 6 hours - trust me, it wasn't worth free admission and an autographed picture of C-list celebrities.)

OK, I've went long enough. Thanks for letting me share!

I see that you bought a lot more exciting stuff than I did. Thanks for stopping by to say hello. It was pretty busy today. I'm very happy to see a huge surge in attendance this year. The hobby is pretty strong right now and it's going to be a great season for conventions all around the country.

Nice report. I love your explanation for buying those three non want list books, that's what the hobby is all about IMHO. :applause:

Yeah, I agree. Now I just wonder if they'll read as well as they did to a 13 year old back in the day... lol

This year marked my 18th year in a row going to the Motor City Comic Con. It was only by a fluke that a friend convinced me to go in 1994 with a free pass. I had been done collecting for 9 years by then and had sold off some of my collection during college. But, by 1994, I was 28 and realized I could afford JLA #3! ($40 in G+ 3.0) So, I bought it and the collecting bug was back in my system.

Now, let me be fair. I take a camera with every intention of taking pictures. But, I get there and I resort to laying low and really don't feel comfortable asking people to take a picture or just snapping some. But I did take this dull one while standing in line.

001-4.jpg

I got there later than I planned. Due to construction, it took 75 minutes to get there instead of 50 minutes. I thought the line would be reasonable at 1:00 pm. I was wrong. It stretched outside and then wound it's way inside. Took about 30 minutes to get in. One hold up was that Motor City wanted a form filled out. I thought that was absurd. Ask me nicely for my info, don't tell me I have to do it to get in.

There was a lot of eye candy this year. Many times it's someone dressed in something that doesn't flatter their figure. But this year there were some "aye carumbas". ^^

I had asked Dale Roberts and Bob Storms to bring some books as usual. They are my constants at this show. But first, I hit Lange and a few other dealers for some great buys on non-expensive BA books that fill my collection holes. (early 80's Brave & The Bolds, Avengers, DC Comics Presents, GL, Flash, MTU, Marvel Two In One, etc. )

Now, I've brought a Want List since 1995 but in the last few years I've tried a new angle for part of my purchases. I still focus on the Want List but if I come across some books I used to own but aren't on my List and were lost to memory, I buy the, It feels impromptu and kind of rekindles the old "magic" when I was younger. Chalk it up to nostalgia. Here's 3 books with no great significance except that I had bought them new at the drug store back in the day and got rid of them 26 years ago.

004-1.jpg

All of them gave me pause, a smile and flood of memories. It's as if I can smell Lindau Pharmacy in downtown Sylvania, Ohio. I don't have those titles on my Want List so I rarely visit those areas.

After that, I went over to Dale's booth. I've said it before and I'll say it again, buying from Dale is always a pleasure and a tradition. I have literally bought something from Dale at every Motor City Show he's been to since he started in 1996 or 97. He always has great stock and one of the most personable people in the business. Many of my late SA JLA's came from him and he's a big reason I was able to complete that run. He brought these 2 CGC Avengers with him for me.

002-3.jpg

And I also found a great Action #340 (1st Parasite) and Amazing Adventures #9.

005-4.jpg

After visiting with Dale, I went over to my other dealer constant, Highgrade Comics aka Bob Storms. Bob brought a few CGC books I enquired about and offered up some advice when I asked him. I got these 2 beauties from him, when I was thinking I'd only be able to get one.

003-3.jpg

I've been eyeing a TOS #49 for about 5 years but never really found one that struck me. They were either overgraded or out of my price range. Bob had a really nice 6.0. Plus, the X-Men #51 has White pages and Bob's advice regarding buying that due to Steranko over #21 CGC 9.2 made a lot of sense. Bob was great to chat with and hear his stories as well as his knowledge on the industry. It's funny, Bob told me to try Wizard Chicago because there are a lot of dealers. I told him I did last year and I spent 90% of what I bought there with him and Dale. lol

What I really appreciate about Dale & Bob is that they have exceptional customer service. I'm not a big spender, maybe $200 - $500 with each per year. But they go out of their way to help me with what works for me in my collection. (I hope there will come a day when I bring $2000+ to a Comic Con vs. $600 - $800. lol )

I also got to say Hi to Detroit Mike and chat briefly at the Motor City booth but they got busy so I didn't want to be a bother. Other than that, I saw no one else I knew. By 5:00, I was done and made for the exit. I'm happy with what I purchased this year. I've got to imagine the dealers get tired by each night. I'm pretty sure those shows can be mentally and physically tasking standing on the cement all day, keeping an eye that books don't "walk away", etc. It would probably be interesting to help out (a dealer) some year to experience it. I volunteered with Motor City a few years ago and it stunk. But, I also felt they had no clue how to manage volunteers and shift their duties to prevent boredom. (I got a fire door to sit by for 6 hours - trust me, it wasn't worth free admission and an autographed picture of C-list celebrities.)

OK, I've went long enough. Thanks for letting me share!

Thanks for the high praise. It is customers like you that make dealing in comics a pleasure, and makes it likely that I will be back year after year. Thanks a bunch for the business. Its always great to see you.

Thanks for the high praise. It is customers like you that make dealing in comics a pleasure, and makes it likely that I will be back year after year. Thanks a bunch for the business. Its always great to see you.

You mean you have difficult customers at times? :devil: