• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

A book I fought hard to not restore because of it's poor production materials, value, and poor condition.

Bob brow beat me into it.

DSC05364_zps613b914b.jpg

DSC05366_zpsa99b68a9.jpg

DSC05370_zps34bb1be5.jpg

DSC05367_zpsc7819b41.jpg

DSC05378_zpse541a3da.jpg

DSC05375_zpsfb47cfe8.jpg

DSC05395_zpse7d9859c.jpg

hm

DSC05400_zpsd77db649.jpg

Washed and casted interior No CT.

DSC05399_zps2a0c3bc0.jpg

Really great work. Especially amazed by the varnish removal. It's odd that a rusted/rotted out car can be given new life by resto, yet the same intentions on a comic is frowned upon, except by the few here who seem to appreciate the labor involved.

There is a huge premium paid for matching number muscle cars with original paint.

The same could be said for unrestored comics, ...no?

I think Spideyfan was talking about the acceptance of restored cars vs restored comics.

If you pay much more for an original car vs restored that implies a stigma against the restored.

But back on topic, beautiful work as usual.

Not sure if I should show this book, but the BC results should be ok.

Again, lots of old resto all over this book.

wongsredravenbcb4_zps177513fb.jpg

wongsredravenbcafters_zps42370710.jpg

Ooh, I recognize that back cover.

lol

Really great work. Especially amazed by the varnish removal. It's odd that a rusted/rotted out car can be given new life by resto, yet the same intentions on a comic is frowned upon, except by the few here who seem to appreciate the labor involved.

There is a huge premium paid for matching number muscle cars with original paint.

I think Spideyfan was talking about the acceptance of restored cars vs restored comics.

If you pay much more for an original car vs restored that implies a stigma against the restored.

Or it means that unrestored commands a premium. Would you really be ashamed to own the books posted? I wouldn't.

Or it means that unrestored commands a premium. Would you really be ashamed to own the books posted? I wouldn't.

They are different sides of the same coin. If you have a preference for A over B, then by definition you must have a dislike for B over A. So my point was cars are the same as comics. Not that restored comics are bad.

In fact I bought a restored book a few months ago and love it.

Wow, love to see the befores and afters!!!

Show em the shots of you bending the Dynamic 8 and it flexing like a newsstand fresh book. :baiting:

I can't wait to get her in my paws!

Thanks for sharing.

Just like the premiums paid for a pristine unrestored comic. The restored Action # I might be able to own, the pristine mint one , never. Same holds true of the restored vette vs the numbers-matching original. Both however can bring their owners great fun. Just depends at what level you can get in on it.

They are different sides of the same coin. If you have a preference for A over B, then by definition you must have a dislike for B over A. So my point was cars are the same as comics. Not that restored comics are bad.

In fact I bought a restored book a few months ago and love it.

I hear that you agree, I'm not arguing that, but I would add that's it's more then just a matter of preference, in some cases (most probably) its a matter of financial means.

But you're right that restoration has been stigmatized, I thinks it's time it were made more acceptable - and I think maybe the best way will be to develop standards and perhaps change how CGC defines the (amount and quality of the) work done. I'm hopeful this could happen with the formation of CCS or whatever it's called.

Show em the shots of you bending the Dynamic 8 and it flexing like a newsstand fresh book. :baiting:

Like I would actually do that to one of our sacred, historical artifacts.

That was done with Photoshop.

:sorry:

I worked on a few books this weekend.

Jackpot 4, and Action 7.

Both moderate jobs.

Here is the Action 7 interior after tape removal, wet wash and leaf casting to outer wraps and centerfold.

Staples were rusted through, multiple taped up corners, and previous piece fill.

And to think it hasn't even been pressed yet.

DSC05519_zpsb8cfe038.jpg

action7intcoverafterwash_zps429d43a7.jpg

DSC05523_zps00e96ae4.jpg

actioninttopafter_zps8d51f4be.jpg

Casting the cover tomorrow.

:banana:

DSC05375_zpsfb47cfe8.jpg

DSC05395_zpse7d9859c.jpg

I hope you are aware you missed a period here!!!!

(on the last line after STATE)

sheesh, and everyone says you're so good!

such sloppy work.

: )

Let me take this one - this photo was taken before the final stage of sending the books to Matt for finishing.

I can't wait to see and hold the finished book in my hands. I just hope it's soon :baiting:

Easy Bob, I believe Aman was yanking my chain, and picking nits!

There will not be much more done to the interior cover at this time.

Especially where we were on this book price point vs resto cost.

The poor quality of production made this book a real bear to work with. So I was thrilled to have the casted corner filled, and reinforced with casting. And all Aman saw was a tiny missing dot where pulp covers it up!

In hand you cannot even see it.

:D

So...How did the leaf cast for my baby go, Kenny?? :taptaptap:

Your baby?..You mean this rag?

1_zpsc347d1ee.jpg

11_zps8b9d7f2d.jpg

It's ok, if you like really, really early Actions.

Can I keep it?

:D

2_zps2ad1d2c2.jpg

22_zps3b1b6e43.jpg

3_zps15f43309.jpg

33_zps48870744.jpg

Such a cool book.

111_zps28427ef5.jpg