• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

I was wondering if the colour touch is applied in blocks of colour or do you mimic the dot matrix?

While I wish I could say we painstakingly recreate the dot matrix printing process, that would be a lie.

The original dots are so small, that even if you tried to recreate the dots by hand, layer by layer..... you are left with something worse then trying to blend the area as a whole with a color that mimics the color the dot pattern creates.

It all comes down to layering colors that mimic the original inks.

Here are some photos that show way too much, but when viewed in hand do not hopefully stand out as much.

closeb4_zpsa8b95af5.jpg

close2_zps33234c33.jpg

close2b4_zps4fbc16e3.jpg

close2after_zps571593df.jpg

“If I spit, they will take my spit and frame it as great art.” a quote from Picasso I believe.

chewing pulps for leaf casting certainly will give my spits some contribution to great slabs :roflmao:

I wasn't kidding.

Here is an excerpt from Robert Futernicks 1982 article on leaf casting.

chompers_zpse90dc0e6.jpg

I think he was serious too, because the way you break down pulp for casting directly affects the results.

Beaten, or broken down fibers retain their length and aid in bonding, as opposed to a blender macerating them to death.

That said, I am not 100% sure "spit" is considered archival materials!

Believe it or not, it is. Povertyrow and I had this discussion about seven years ago. I think I found some references in the JAIC about it if I am not mistaken. As long as your mouth is clean (use Listerine), your spit is ph neutral.

That color matching is just ludicrous. (worship)

And you say this is showing "too much"? :eyeroll:

Wow, that's no exaggeration. I had to look twice to see where the retouched areas were. I'd say that's as close as anyone could ask for. With the book of mine you have, there's a lot of retouching that maybe be required in black areas (yes?). Does this make it easier to deal with the fact it's black, or harder to match values or appearance?

“If I spit, they will take my spit and frame it as great art.” a quote from Picasso I believe.

chewing pulps for leaf casting certainly will give my spits some contribution to great slabs :roflmao:

I wasn't kidding.

chompers_zpse90dc0e6.jpg

I think he was serious too, because the way you break down pulp for casting directly affects the results.

Beaten, or broken down fibers retain their length and aid in bonding, as opposed to a blender macerating them to death.

Believe it or not, it is. Povertyrow and I had this discussion about seven years ago. I think I found some references in the JAIC about it if I am not mistaken. As long as your mouth is clean (use Listerine), your spit is ph neutral.

lol That was a most vigorous conversation. Around 2005 as I remember it. I DO remember your telling me later that you were trying to get me to spit on one of my comics, but I foiled that by testing the spit on the bent corner of a 4-color glossy sales catalog. As I recall the spit did no harm but it did reduce the gloss a bit.

Uh Oh! It may be on again. I looked up the PH of Listerine and it comes in around 4.2. As 7 is neutral, a PH of 4.2 is fairly acidic.

I wasn't kidding.

chompers_zpse90dc0e6.jpg

lol That was a most vigorous conversation. Around 2005 as I remember it. I DO remember your telling me later that you were trying to get me to spit on one of my comics, but I foiled that by testing the spit on the bent corner of a 4-color glossy sales catalog. As I recall the spit did no harm but it did reduce the gloss a bit.

Uh Oh! It may be on again. I looked up the PH of Listerine and it comes in around 4.2. As 7 is neutral, a PH of 4.2 is fairly acidic.

Could you please elaborate on this vigorous discussion please.

Were you guys discussing whether or not a spit shine was considered Restoration?

Was this a wine enhanced conversation?

:insane:

Really great work. Especially amazed by the varnish removal. It's odd that a rusted/rotted out car can be given new life by resto, yet the same intentions on a comic is frowned upon, except by the few here who seem to appreciate the labor involved.

Another irony is how NOS ("new old stock") parts are considered original when installed on an old car restoration yet replacement parts on comics garner the scarlet-letter "married pages" designation. :eyeroll:

Really great work. Especially amazed by the varnish removal. It's odd that a rusted/rotted out car can be given new life by resto, yet the same intentions on a comic is frowned upon, except by the few here who seem to appreciate the labor involved.

Another irony is how NOS ("new old stock") parts are considered original when installed on an old car restoration yet replacement parts on comics garner the scarlet-letter "married pages" designation. :eyeroll:

The restored car analogies are actually pretty similar to what extensive resto is nowadays.

Wash a comic to get down to original material, fill in, and reinforce the missing areas, CT what is necessary. That is pretty darn similar to sandblasting an old rusted car, applying bondo to the missing areas, and then painting the thing to make it pretty.

And since most of the books we get in that need extensive work were either previously restored, or taped to the gills, or in such disrepair the book is in pieces. So doing this amount of work is warranted vs the old mindset that it was ok to restore fairly decent condition books.

Main difference, as you guys said.

Restored Cars people love.

Restored comics people run away from!!

:ohnoez:

Speaking of which, who wants to see some?

I forgot all about this old thread.

oboy-oboy-oboy :banana:

. . . taking it another step forward - the use of leaf casting is akin using molten lead filler in quality car restorations vs bondo which i'd compare to the using rice paper.

http://www.google.com/search?q=lead+body+work&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-JovUc6DHcny0QHLyYHwCA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1254&bih=855

There is a huge premium paid for matching number muscle cars with original paint.

The restored car analogies are actually pretty similar to what extensive resto is nowadays.

Wash a comic to get down to original material, fill in, and reinforce the missing areas, CT what is necessary. That is pretty darn similar to sandblasting an old rusted car, applying bondo to the missing areas, and then painting the thing to make it pretty.

And since most of the books we get in that need extensive work were either previously restored, or taped to the gills, or in such disrepair the book is in pieces. So doing this amount of work is warranted vs the old mindset that it was ok to restore fairly decent condition books.

Main difference, as you guys said.

Restored Cars people love.

Restored comics people run away from!!

:ohnoez:

Speaking of which, who wants to see some?

I forgot all about this old thread.

Would love to see some!!!

There is a huge premium paid for matching number muscle cars with original paint.

The same could be said for unrestored comics, ...no?

I think Spideyfan was talking about the acceptance of restored cars vs restored comics.

This was an old resto job gone bad.

Inks were washed off the cover from over solvent washing?

And for some reason they stopped trying to CT the reds.

Bat1tpb4sm_zps435b57b1.jpg

Was sent to us to fix what CT we could, while leaving the book intact.

Look Ma, no brushmarks!

bat1aftersm_zpseaefa467.jpg

And their old attempted black line work

DSC05438_zpse8e328a7.jpg

DSC05446_zps41028bf9.jpg

And what it looks like normal size, and yes... the second U is off. :pullhair:

DSC05446_zps4cd37c16.jpg

A poor Tec 38, all taped up and dirty. :(

Interior was brittle in places, and the entire thing was attached with tape.

DSC05236_zpsed5cb626.jpg

DSC05243_zps08dd8e00.jpg

DSC05240_zps62ba64cf.jpg

After tape removal, washed and leaf casted.

fullcoverafterwash_zps30b36e3a.jpg

Cover after CT.

fullcoverafter_zpsbe38f986.jpg

Chippy interior before/after.

tec38inttopedgeb4_zpsb649e485.jpg

tec38inttopedgeafter_zps813cea6a.jpg

DSC05249_zps6c643076.jpg

DSC05335_zps2c6fc0e7.jpg

tec38makingsonfcb4_zps4a654077.jpg

tec38makinsonfcafter_zps8283de17.jpg

tec38makingsonbcb4_zpsa1457b74.jpg

tec38makingsonbcafters_zps489d4aed.jpg