• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Matt and Kenny post before, during, and after photos" Thread.

199 posts in this topic

A question, for books with page edges that are brittle, will leave casting remove the brittless? Or if the page is bent will the corner along with the leaf casted area fall off?

As Nick said, it does not necessarily remove the brittleness, but more reinforces the area by infilling the missing parts, and supporting the surrounding area.

If the brittleness is so pronounced that it goes beyond an outer edge, then you need to further support the casted/infilled area. Or there might be risk the newly casted area might simply break off at the joined seam... where brittle paper meets casted. While uncommon,it might happen on a really brittle book.

Covers are a different beast then interior pages because you typically never want to lose cover art. But in some cases, if conservation is the goal..you need to remove severely rusted/brittle material before casting. Get down to decent, original paper so the casting will take.

Like Bills CMJ #2.

In the case of the TOS 39, the top edge displayed typical overhang SA Marvel brittleness.

All the "loose bits" were casted in place. With newly casted material filling in, and supporting the top edge lightly.

Old School methods would have necessitated the use of white japan paper, and wheat paste to glue a strip of tissue across the entire brittle edge.

Which works fairly well, but obviously does not look, or feel as good.

Kenny, How different is the method that you use to trim your casted covers than someone who is trying to improve the appearance of a book. In other words, why dont you get a notation of "Top edge Trimmed"??

Basically it comes down to trimming right up to, or next to the original edge.

I have yet to see where CGC notes added, and then trimmed material as "edge trimmed"

Be it an entire casted edge, a sealed teal, or an area piece filled by hand.

Kenny this is coming your way. Back looks pretty good, white cover should help the leaf casting, I can't wait to see how it will look.

SMC29cover.jpg

Cool!!!.

I will let you know when I post it on Craigslist.

I mean start work on it.. I meant work on it!!!

:D

Since I have been asked enough offline, I thought I would bump this thread and let everyone know that things have not changed for me, or the work I do with Matt and Classics Inc.

While Matt and family are making the move down south, I am staying put in Indiana. I have quite the studio set up, and there is no need for me to relocate.

Whatever changes are taking place w/Matt, Classics and CGC..they are not fully known to me.

While I know a bit about the big move, I will be waiting like the rest of you to see how this all unfolds.

All I know is I have a boatload of restoration work, and am plowing through it.

With most of it lately for private collectors whose work I cannot share. So there has not been anything to post recently.

But there is some boring conso stuff I can share.

Took a brittle MF 52 interior, and made it not brittle.

Washed, leaf casted every wrap.

What I really like about leaf casting is how it allows you to conserve each wrap, and once assembled it looks and feels closer to an original comic.

As opposed to the mountain of japan paper, and glue it would take to repair this brittle copy the old way.

DSC04690_zps5f59f8bc.jpg

int2_zps428f7d2a.jpg

int11_zps4db9fbcf.jpg

DSC04676_zpsdc6980ae.jpg

int6_zps0719414d.jpg

int4_zpsc500ec26.jpg

int3_zps0cb0fb12.jpg

very nice!

damn these private collectors :makepoint:

I need to re-apply for a job with CGC but this time with Matt's division when he relocated in February...got to bring in more hates for the haters. Don't they need someone to mop up the floor in the leaf casting room?

Congrats to you and Matt..perhaps now you can travel to conventions more often on the company's dimes.... :whee:

Worked on this today.

A taped up/glued up Tec 35. :(

Removed glue and tape, Casted the outerwrap/centerfold.

No washing to the rest..just a light damp press.

tec35intafter_zpsc4d89fa9.jpg

tec35intafters_zps329ebe35.jpg

Now it's toilet paper.

:sorry:

“If I spit, they will take my spit and frame it as great art.” a quote from Picasso I believe.

chewing pulps for leaf casting certainly will give my spits some contribution to great slabs :roflmao:

I wasn't kidding.

Here is an excerpt from Robert Futernicks 1982 article on leaf casting.

chompers_zpse90dc0e6.jpg

I think he was serious too, because the way you break down pulp for casting directly affects the results.

Beaten, or broken down fibers retain their length and aid in bonding, as opposed to a blender macerating them to death.

That said, I am not 100% sure "spit" is considered archival materials!

I've been asked about the MF 52 covers progress, and while not done it's close enough to look at.

Glue and Stain removal was obviously key in raising the apparent grade.

smallb4_zps65210912.jpgsmallafter_zps2e274f9e.jpg

smallb4_zps051e7d76.jpg

smallafter_zpsd6c8f3cf.jpg