• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Submission Calculator: Updated To v7.0! Now Entirely Web Based!
3 3

56 posts in this topic

My CGC Journal keeps giving me errors, and it's not posting to the boards, so I figured I'll just make a post here instead.

From time to time, I like to write down what books I want to be graded in the near future, whether they need to be pressed and how much it will cost.

I know that the fill-able PDF on CGC's website will calculate my total automatically. However, I got tired of having to fill it out temporarily, or print it out just to add books later on and then I have to recalculate everything again. Let alone keep track of which books are to be pressed and how much shipping is.

So, in my free time, I've been tinkering with my own CGC Submission Calculator on Google Docs. It's a Google Spreadsheet that I've shared for anyone to view. You can save it to your own Google Docs account, or save it to Open Office or Excel. I prefer to store on Google so I don't lose the file and I can access it from anywhere, including my Android Phone (thumbs u

I don't know if there is any interest in this kind of thing and I'm only posting it because my wife swears someone will use it lol

As of version 1, it is using the exact same limitation as a real CGC submission form. What I mean by that is, it will calculate insurance up to $25,000, it will only allow 30 books total to be calculated. And I recommend if you are subbing magazines and comics, to use the calculator for each item(s) individually (one for magazines, and one for comic books).

You can select the same options as the PDF form, whether you want it to be fast tracked, have a picture taken, etc. Just be sure you select the appropriate Tier on the left column for your books, along with whether or not you are a CGC member who gets 10% off.

Be sure to fill in the Name of the comic, issue number, value and quantity for it to calculate properly.

I even added the option for whether or not you want a book to be pressed and it automatically calculates that in as well. Just select Yes/No under the Press Book? Column. Pressing costs are based on CFP Comics' prices. PM Joeypost for more information on pressing services. I also added his bulk savings as well. So if you get 20+ books pressed, the cost changes from $8 per, to $7 per book.

The inbound shipping to CGC is left blank, just fill in how much it is to ship to them and you should be all set.

There is a Universal calculator sheet and a Signature Series calculator sheet (toggle between them at the bottom of the page), with appropriate colors too. here's the new link:

http://www.ourlittlelucas.net/cgc

A few changes to note, google docs finally got around to protecting cells of shared documents. So I've gone ahead and done this. The only items you can edit are the Quantity, Comic Name, Isssue, FMV columns and you can still use all the clickable drop down menus for the red cells in column A for example, and if you want to press a comic or not, etc.

I'm hoping I can keep this up permanently now that people can't mess it up :grin:

Just save this as a new doc in your Google Docs/Google Drive and enjoy (thumbs u

NOTE: Be sure to fill in the Quantity, Comic Name, Issue AND Fair Market Value, otherwise it won't calculate the totals for you. Don't forget to change the submission tiers and fill in YOUR shipping costs to CGC.

UPDATE!

I've finally had a few minutes to embed this calculator in a webpage. It's very vanilla, but it works great so users can't add anymore rows and you no longer have all that Google garbage at the top either. Just the calculator.

The iframe is a real PITA to play with, I had to basically make a stylesheet for the popular browsers. Do note, that Internet Explorer is simply not compatible with this (blame activeX). It will support, Firefox and Chrome in windows and Safari on the mac.

Anyway, here's the link! Enjoy!

http://www.ourlittlelucas.net/cgc

UPDATE 2!

I've completely re-written the CGC Submission Calculator starting from scratch. It's written completely in Javascript and HTML. It should look familiar. No more dumb striped cells that make it hard to read. Just a simple calculator.

It actually took me way way longer to get things done in excel vs. Javascript and I'm a complete n00b in Javascript, lol

I also implemented a few submission tier checks like if you choose the modern tier with a FMV over $200 it tells you to choose another tier.

I did my initial round of testing and things look fine, but if you spot an error just shoot me a PM with the details!

Enjoy!

You can still find it at: http://www.ourlittlelucas.net/cgc

UPDATE 3: There is no free hosting site that lets you just sit on your account for more than 6 months without shutting it down, fyi. So I'm now forced to host my CGC calculator on my consoleracing.net website...f'ing lame, I hate the freebie run-arounds!

UPDATE 4!: I don't have time to update the consoleracing website anymore since my wife and I just had our first child. So I've changed the domain to www.ourlittlelucas.net :)

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Thanks :) It was one of those things where I initially had it just calculate modern comics since that is like 99% of what I sub. Then, in prepping for Emerald City this year, I was forced to make a couple other tiers since the costs of my WD's would be different and then I said *spoon* it and did all of the tiers lol

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Yea, give it a whirl and let me know of any errors, typos and such.

When making the form, I did notice the prices on the online PDF differed from the form at the CGC booth at Emerald City :shrug: So I followed the prices from the online form.

I totally spaced on changing the doc so it can be edited. Now you guys should be able to edit it, to play around with it and such. Just try not to break anything, haha. But I have it backed up.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

When making the form, I did notice the prices on the online PDF differed from the form at the CGC booth at Emerald City :shrug: So I followed the prices from the online form.

Jerome

Which price was higher? CGC @ ECCC or online PDF?

ECC was higher :/

Weird the website still lines up with the online forms.

I looked through my receipts and saw that 3 out of the 4 forms I filled out at ECC said modern was $28, only one of them said modern was $18. Express is $98 on those same 3 forms as well as Value at $30 and Standard at $65.

hm

Needless to say, I'll be bringing my own forms to ECC next year just to be safe. Here's a couple pics:

$28 Modern (3 of these at Emerald City):

$18 Modern (1 of these at Emerald City):

Anyone else seen/noticed this before? Do they normally charge more at cons? Misprinting? Old forms? :shrug:

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

I looked through my receipts and saw that 3 out of the 4 forms I filled out at ECC said modern was $28, only one of them said modern was $18. Express is $98 on those same 3 forms as well as Value at $30 and Standard at $65.

hm

Needless to say, I'll be bringing my own forms to ECC next year just to be safe. Here's a couple pics:

CGCCostsA.jpg

CGCCostsB.jpg

Anyone else seen/noticed this before? Do they normally charge more at cons? Misprinting? Old forms? :shrug:

Jerome

Look at the top of the forms - one's for regular submissions ($18 for moderns), one's for signature series submissions ($28 for moderns).

hm

CGCCostsA.jpg

CGCCostsB.jpg

Jerome

Look at the top of the forms - one's for regular submissions ($18 for moderns), one's for signature series submissions ($28 for moderns).

Was just going to point out the same thing. (thumbs u

Okay so I started to embed the signature series costs in the spreadsheet formula and I hit the 32 bit application limit on the 'if' statements.

So for the next version, I'll just make a second sheet for the signature series costs with applicable renaming since those have to be submitted separately anyway as I understand it.

Depending on how late I have to work tomorrow, I'll try and get it done. Should be pretty quick, just replacing a few values and data validations (drop down menus) (thumbs u

EDIT: stoopid photobucket won't shrink my pics so I'll remove them.

Also, I have a good start on the Signature Series Submission Calculator, so with any luck it will be ready tomorrow some time.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Okay so I started to embed the signature series costs in the spreadsheet formula and I hit the 32 bit application limit on the 'if' statements.

When there is an issue of getting to the limit of maximum nested if statements in a formula, a good solution is to get a separate table, either on the same sheet or a different one with the different variables and its corresponding price increases,

Then you can use a Vlookup formula or a if + Vlookup to search to identify when there are extra costs involved. The If+ Vlookup formula needs an extra column though where you specify if it’s a signature series or not. A "Yes" No" dropdown option would be enough

Same principle could be applied for a distinction between prices for modern and other age comics or any other variables that include price changes

Cool work (thumbs u

/\ Thanks :) I decided to just make a separate sheet for signature series subs since it will be A) easier and B) more clear and C) AFAIK you need to fill out a separate sheet for SS and Universals anyway.

But I may look into the vlookup functions as I already have one hidden column for the data validations :)

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace