• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you hear about the big Heritage auction?

76 posts in this topic

Must not have been able to reach a deal with Brulato. That's a lot of volume to dump on the market at once.

I wonder what percentage of the "stupid money" price he paid will he be recovering on this "investment."

I'll bet he takes an beating unlike anything the hobby has seen before. hm

Lots of these didn't necessarily start out in this grade.

Whether it's at Pedigree or Heritage, I'll pass on buying books from him.

Must not have been able to reach a deal with Brulato. That's a lot of volume to dump on the market at once.

I wonder what percentage of the "stupid money" price he paid will he be recovering on this "investment."

Lots of these didn't necessarily start out in this grade.

+1 :golfclap:

Respecting your standpoint, still ... the Thor 126 9.8 would look good in my collection. But I'll stay away from the feeding frenzy :(

My personal take is that it's the other way around.

I wouldn't doubt that Doug may have paid "Stupid Money" for quite a few of these books back in the day. I've heard stories from some dealers that Doug used to hound them to death over books he just "had to have". HOWEVER, that was a long time ago and prices have just skyrocketed since many/most of these were purchsed.

I got to see many of these books in person at Doug's Condo and Storage facility in Fort Lee and that was back in 2003. In the last 9 years books like FF1, X-Men1, Avengers1, Daredevil 1, Tos 39, Jim 83, in these grades have gone through the roof. And I'd guess that a large percentage of these books were purchased prior to 2000.

Personally, I think it's sad that such an amazing collection is on the block, but the potential proceeds from this are very hard to ignore. I wish him the best of luck, but don't think he's going to need any.

IMHO, whatever he gets for this collection will dwarf the cost to accumulate it. Just those six books mentioned above will possibly generate in excess of $2 million. The Billy Wright collection will be easily surpassed... :o

My personal take is that it's the other way around.

I wouldn't doubt that Doug may have paid "Stupid Money" for quite a few of these books back in the day. I've heard stories from some dealers that Doug used to hound them to death over books he just "had to have". HOWEVER, that was a long time ago and prices have just skyrocketed since many/most of these were purchsed.

I got to see many of these books in person at Doug's Condo and Storage facility in Fort Lee and that was back in 2003. In the last 9 years books like FF1, X-Men1, Avengers1, Daredevil 1, Tos 39, Jim 83, in these grades have gone through the roof. And I'd guess that a large percentage of these books were purchased prior to 2000.

Personally, I think it's sad that such an amazing collection is on the block, but the potential proceeds from this are very hard to ignore. I wish him the best of luck, but don't think he's going to need any.

IMHO, whatever he gets for this collection will dwarf the cost to accumulate it. Just those six books mentioned above will possibly generate in excess of $2 million. The Billy Wright collection will be easily surpassed... :o

.....yes it will. Doug knows the market as well as anyone.....He's not going to let his books go at a bad time. There's a god awful lot of money out there sopping up that High Grade stuff. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

All I can say is wow. What a collection. It is has to be the best Marvel collection.

I guess since he picked Heritage he is admitting he can't do as well even with the commissions. His conflict of interest reason is flimsy at best. Hopefully he signed an agreement with Heritage that forbids them from using this against him in advertisements.

All I can say is wow. What a collection. It is has to be the best Marvel collection.

I guess since he picked Heritage he is admitting he can't do as well even with the commissions. His conflict of interest reason is flimsy at best. Hopefully he signed an agreement with Heritage that forbids them from using this against him in advertisements.

He has such great morals, he deserves every penny he makes (thumbs u

Using what against him?

Listen, it makes sense for him to go with Heritage. They have in excess of 100k members. He has, maybe 10%. Where can he get more for his collection? Answer, nowhere.

Heritage does the advertising, has the contacts, and puts out the huge and beautiful catalogs.

Also, it appears that Heritage is advertising this as the Doug Schmell/PedigreeComics.com collection.

So, Doug is getting advertising and will get business driven to his site.

Pretty smart if you ask me.

And I am no fan of his either.

He has such great morals, he deserves every penny he makes (thumbs u

lol

Doug has owned most of these books for years so I'm sure he is going to cash in big time. The FF run alone will/should eclipse whatever the Curator's recently sold for.

I have two questions

1. Will Doug report his profits to the IRS hm

2. Will Doug be shilling his own books in this auction hmhm

:insane:

Well, there are no Spidey books (he sold those years ago) and tom Brulato owns the FF #1 in 9.6 and an ASM #1 in 9.8 as well as the Hulk #1 in 9.4

And Tom's collection is pretty deep and comparable if not better.

Still, this is no slouch of a collection obviously.

It's really going to be interesting to watch.

Wow, after reading that thread about what this guy allegedly did at a convention recently, I'm glad that the comics I'm wanting to bid on from this auction weren't his ...

Link please to what he did.

Wow, after reading that thread about what this guy allegedly did at a convention recently, I'm glad that the comics I'm wanting to bid on from this auction weren't his ...

Link please to what he did.

The gist IIRC was that a dealer was at his own booth negotiating with a customer when Schmell just walks up with a sales list and attempts to sell one of his books to the customer.

The dealer paid for his table, yet some schmuck who's just working the room strolls in like it's nothing, and then doesn't understand that he did anything wrong.

Just like when he was disbarred from his law practice, he still "didn't get it". I read the panel decision (it's available online), and it was pretty harsh.

Just a few examples of bad behavior, and some of us in the hobby can't in good conscience reward people like that. Hence, I personally won't even look at the catalog when it's published as I frankly could care less.