• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you hear about the big Heritage auction?

76 posts in this topic

Sad part about this hobby is people will still purchase this guys books knowing this guys past. Just like they deal with the other "dealer" who was linked to the fake milehighs. Funny how greed works in life.

Wow, after reading that thread about what this guy allegedly did at a convention recently, I'm glad that the comics I'm wanting to bid on from this auction weren't his ...

Link please to what he did.

The gist IIRC was that a dealer was at his own booth negotiating with a customer when Schmell just walks up with a sales list and attempts to sell one of his books to the customer.

The dealer paid for his table, yet some schmuck who's just working the room strolls in like it's nothing, and then doesn't understand that he did anything wrong.

Just like when he was disbarred from his law practice, he still "didn't get it". I read the panel decision (it's available online), and it was pretty harsh.

Just a few examples of bad behavior, and some of us in the hobby can't in good conscience reward people like that. Hence, I personally won't even look at the catalog when it's published as I frankly could care less.

Hopefully Heritage will put stickers on the slabs so we can avoid them in the future as well.

Mike

Wow, after reading that thread about what this guy allegedly did at a convention recently, I'm glad that the comics I'm wanting to bid on from this auction weren't his ...

The gist IIRC was that a dealer was at his own booth negotiating with a customer when Schmell just walks up with a sales list and attempts to sell one of his books to the customer.

The dealer paid for his table, yet some schmuck who's just working the room strolls in like it's nothing, and then doesn't understand that he did anything wrong.

Just like when he was disbarred from his law practice, he still "didn't get it". I read the panel decision (it's available online), and it was pretty harsh.

Just a few examples of bad behavior, and some of us in the hobby can't in good conscience reward people like that. Hence, I personally won't even look at the catalog when it's published as I frankly could care less.

Hopefully Heritage will put stickers on the slabs so we can avoid them in the future as well.

Mike

Why would you avoid them in the future as well? I understand not supporting Doug and not buying any of the books now so as to not support him. But I do not understand the concept of avoiding the books themselves. It's not like they were corrupted by his very touch (shrug)

Sad part about this hobby is people will still purchase this guys books knowing this guys past.

Question 1 - Would the happy part of this hobby be those special occasions when someone else's financial woes create the opportunity for everyone to pick the bones of a pretty incredible accumulation of comics?

Question 2 - Should comics suffer a wandering future of neglect and homelessness because of the indiscretions of previous owner?

Sad part about this hobby is people will still purchase this guys books knowing this guys past.

Question 1 - Would the happy part of this hobby be those special occasions when someone else's financial woes create the opportunity for everyone to pick the bones of a pretty incredible accumulation of comics?

Question 2 - Should comics suffer a wandering future of neglect and homelessness because of the indiscretions of previous owner?

Nobody should ever be homeless. Not even comics.

1. Will Doug report his profits to the IRS hm

If he wants to avoid potential serious legal issues after the upcoming tax audit, he will. :gossip:

I don't think he cares about serious legal issues.

You may be right, but in this particular case he definitely should care.

Mike

Why would you avoid them in the future as well? I understand not supporting Doug and not buying any of the books now so as to not support him. But I do not understand the concept of avoiding the books themselves. It's not like they were corrupted by his very touch (shrug)

Because they are known to have been pressed and I try to avoid pressed books. Also, who knows what may have been done to them that CGC can't detect. Once an untrustworthy person owns them they are tainted. Even if CGC gives them the unrestored thumbs up I don't trust them. Would you buy a Ewert book just because CGC says it hasn't been micro trimmed?

Mike

Schadenfreude seems to be pretty rampant on these boards. Otherwise, why else would people always talk about the taxes that a seller of a fabulous collection is going to have to pay?

Doug will make an absolute killing

he didnt pay stupid $ for these books- he got most of them pre 2000 and others part trade/cash pre 2005

Doug is a savvy guy and knows when to sell

in the concept of the "greater fool" and collectibles as investments the "greater fools" are the new BSD big $ collectors coming in

the keys will do very well

non keys prob not as well

he didnt pay stupid $ for these books- he got most of them pre 2000 and others part trade/cash pre 2005

in the concept of the "greater fool" and collectibles as investments the "greater fools" are the new BSD big $ collectors coming in

You're right that he didn't pay stupid $ for them, he probably used the stolen money which got him disbarred to pay for them.

wow, Doug is cashing out.

I don't blame him for doing so. The notion bandied about by young collectors that they're going to take their slabbed comics to the grave or hand them over to their children breaks down when you get older and near retirement age, particularly when you've got a spectacularly valuable collection (i.e., Doug) that can fund the rest of your and your family's life.

He paid a low price for the mega-keys (by today's standards), but the top census 2nd tier issues he's bought in recent auctions (like Twin Cities etc) didn't come cheap so he must still have a huge chunk of cash tied up in these books.

Now is certainly the best time sell the Avengers books and realted titles. Spidey is always a good seller, and I'm not sure if the movie will really have that big of an effect on the prices.

FF's are kinda cool right now, but Doug's books should get really strong prices.

He should do very well at this auction. I wonder what the consignment deal with Heritage is for this?