• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top Silver Age Pedigrees

214 posts in this topic

I was fortunate enough to own books from the PC and W PA collections. Some were duplicates and held side by side the W PA's were slightly better in page quality. The PC's were slightly better structually.

All of the duplicates I owned were DC's so I can't offer an opinion on Marvels. I did end up with some PC Marvels. Daredevil 1-21, X-men 1, 14-20, ASM Annuals 1-4, FF Annual 1 and some random TOS.

When I received the Marvels from the OO especially the X-men 1, I sent a few of the books to my friend that had the W PA collection because I didn't know if I was going to keep them. He was a Marvel collector. The PQ of the PC DC's were so nice, the Marvels not so much. After he received them and told me he would buy them if I didn't, that made my decision somewhat easier.

I do remember the DD 7 had unblievable gloss almost to the point the cover looked wet. The cover was somewhat indented from the rollers when it came off the presses, had a small chip out of the cover and graded 9.2. It's now a 9.6.

Looking at these books raw offer the beholder a much better appreciation than when they are slabbed.

As fond as I am of the W PA's, I saw 100's of the W PA books and the Flash run I owned keeps improving grade wise, I would agree with Steve that the PC is the best SA pedigree.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Best

Now that i think about it,I know back in the early 90's i bought some Strange Tales from Marnin Rosenberg out of CBG that were advertised as some Pedigree. I remember they were pretty damn expensive but i wanted a Pedigree book. I cant for the life of me remember but i know i still have the books raw and probably still have the ad somewhere since i always cut out and saved the ads that i bought from.

I gotta try and dig those up and see what if any pedigree they actually are hm

I was fortunate enough to own books from the PC and W PA collections. Some were duplicates and held side by side the W PA's were slightly better in page quality. The PC's were slightly better structually.

Thanks for the information. In some old threads, you've hinted that there was an interesting story behind the Western Penn books. Did you ever share the story here? Or would you now?

I would put the PC's as #1.

I have always said that the PC's are the Edgar Church/Mile High collection of the Silver Age.

The depth of that collection, as well as the quality of the books, are unreal.

Interesting. The only reason I didn't place it higher is that some early keys like FF #1, AF #15, ASM #1 were mid-grade or didn't exist at all.

I can see that way of thinking.

The D.C's are amazing and much harder to find in grade than the Marvels. That's one of the reason I rank the PC's so high.

There aren`t many DC major keys among the PCs either. The collection seems to have started too late.

I`m with Barton--in terms of consistency and overall depth and breadth, the PCs rank very very high, but I knock them for being short on high grade mega-keys.

It`s like if you could combine the White Mountains` incredibly high grade mega-keys with the rest of the PC run, you`d have the undisputed greatest SA collection.

Now that i think about it,I know back in the early 90's i bought some Strange Tales from Marnin Rosenberg out of CBG that were advertised as some Pedigree. I remember they were pretty damn expensive but i wanted a Pedigree book. I cant for the life of me remember but i know i still have the books raw and probably still have the ad somewhere since i always cut out and saved the ads that i bought from.

I would say those were probably Mass Books.

As always for this discussion on SA pedigrees, your mileage may vary.

Early DCs: Western PA, Pacific Coast, White Mountain (many of the Mass early SA DCs are unattributed)

Early Marvel keys: White Mountain, Pacific Coast, Curator, Massachusetts, Twin Cities

Early Marvel non-keys: Curator, Pacific Coast, Massachusetts, Twin Cities, Western PA, Northland

Mid sixties comics: Rocky Mountain, Pacific Coast, Boston, Curator, Massachusetts, Twin Cities

Dell/Gold Key: White Mountain, Pacific Coast, Bethlehem, Northland

We could probably have fun considering each pedigree by title.

I think this post helps prove my point. In every catagory you list, the PC's are second.

I have seen a few comics in my time. As an entire collection, if I had the lucky choice of buying/owning one, it would be the PC's.

Just MHO :preach:

For Dell/Gold Key, I would put PC at #1. The breadth of the collection is simply incredible.

OK...I know when I'm being ignored...can anyone please expound yea or nea on the Edenwald Collection? I have one book which I am very fond of...my ASM 24 9.4 CR/OW from Murph here on the boards...

And most curiously why CGC chose not to denote it on the label?

I remember seeing the raw Edenwald collection offered for sale at a convention. To be honest, I was not impressed at all. The page quality was poor throughout. The books were overpriced for their condition. I did not buy one book.

Probably the Mass books.

Probably the Mass books.

without question

Yeah? Was he known for selling Mass books back then? This was probably like 1992-93ish.

Do they have distinguishing marks that i can look for to check? It was a LONG time ago but im pretty sure it was ST 113,117 and 119 hm

I'll check later when i get home from work but im pretty sure those were the issues i bought.

All of the duplicates I owned were DC's so I can't offer an opinion on Marvels. I did end up with some PC Marvels. Daredevil 1-21, X-men 1, 14-20, ASM Annuals 1-4, FF Annual 1 and some random TOS.

When I received the Marvels from the OO especially the X-men 1, I sent a few of the books to my friend that had the W PA collection because I didn't know if I was going to keep them. He was a Marvel collector. The PQ of the PC DC's were so nice, the Marvels not so much. After he received them and told me he would buy them if I didn't, that made my decision somewhat easier.

I do remember the DD 7 had unblievable gloss almost to the point the cover looked wet. The cover was somewhat indented from the rollers when it came off the presses, had a small chip out of the cover and graded 9.2. It's now a 9.6.

Looking at these books raw offer the beholder a much better appreciation than when they are slabbed.

As fond as I am of the W PA's, I saw 100's of the W PA books and the Flash run I owned keeps improving grade wise, I would agree with Steve that the PC is the best SA pedigree.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Best

Thanks for the additional info on the Pcs. (thumbs u

I always thought the PC copy of ASM Annual #1 was the best looking copy i had seen. It was a CGC 9.6 and just stunning to me. Of course ASM Ann. #1 is probably my favorite SA book. (worship)

Last time I saw it Metro had it and was asking $15,000+ for it. Haven't seen it in a while now, must have sold it???

Without thinking, if someone asked the best SA ped, I would have automatically said PC. But I am on record for liking the TC books. I think the colors are bright on all copies I've seen (I've owned about 10 or them), and one thing I notice is the excellent page quality on almost ALL of these books. Hard to argue with that. :headbang:

But I confess I don't know the MASS ped that well, or the W. PENN either. (shrug)

Tim: What makes you so sure the key DC books weren't in the PC collection?

Just asking!

Tom

I suspect he is referring to the fact that the PC Marvels don't start until summer of 1962 - if memory serves me FF #4 is the first of the run.

The Massachusetts DCs go back to 1959 or '60, but because the original owner was so young at the time, they tend to not be in ultra high grade.

Tim: What makes you so sure the key DC books weren't in the PC collection?

Just asking!

Tom

I suspect he is referring to the fact that the PC Marvels don't start until summer of 1962 - if memory serves me FF #4 is the first of the run.

The Massachusetts DCs go back to 1959 or '60, but because the original owner was so young at the time, they tend to not be in ultra high grade.

Oh, you're speaking about the books that have been graded by CGC?

OK...I know when I'm being ignored...can anyone please expound yea or nea on the Edenwald Collection? I have one book which I am very fond of...my ASM 24 9.4 CR/OW from Murph here on the boards...

And most curiously why CGC chose not to denote it on the label?

Conrad Eschenberg is/was a NY area dealer and they were his books. From what I remember, Doug Schmell bought many of them from Conrad in the 1990s and early 2000s. I think the books were pretty spread around before Conrad came up with the Edenwald designation and certs. So that didn't help getting a pedigree designation. Also, the books came from two different owners. The earliest were from the soldier who died in Viet Nam. Conrad bought the later books off the stands. So it definitely wasn't a single owner collection. I'd guess that's what ended its pedigree chances.

I haven't seen a ton of the books, but what I have seen is very nice. I'm pretty sure these books of mine were part of the collection:

THX Barton! Appreciate the info... (thumbs u

Ok, these are the ST's i was talking about earlier. I could have sworn i also had 117 but apparently not (shrug)

Messy red date stamp on the cover, Are those mass Peds?

st113.jpg

st119.jpg

Ok, these are the ST's i was talking about earlier. I could have sworn i also had 117 but apparently not (shrug)

Messy red date stamp on the cover, Are those mass Peds?

st113.jpg

st119.jpg

They don't look like Mass books. I've never seen a date stamp on a Mass book. You can probably still call Marnin directly and ask. I don't think he issued certs originally. I got this off of his website: (516) 466-8147 .

Cool, thanks. I only have 2 other Mass books and they don't have stamps either.

And no, it was a long time ago but I definitely remember not getting any certs with the books.

I'll try and give Marnin a call and see what he says. I'm 100% positive they were sold as some Ped or collection, anyone have an idea what they might be based on the scans?