• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Mark Waid get conned?

8 posts in this topic

As "The Mark Waid" collection starts to trickle in to ebay Im amazed a the # of restored books that were in his collection.

Does anyone know if he bought these already CGCed? Im thinking no from my memory and that he got them CGCed later when he decided to sell.

Wonder if he was surprised by the % of books that came back with restoration...

From the initial offerings it looks like he had a nice collection of restored books, unfortunately one of the restoration tricks used was trimming. I don't want to cast any doubt on the sellers but they really need much clearer pictures of the labels and to post what the restoration is in the auction, or there will be some unhappy buyers in their future.

From the initial offerings it looks like he had a nice collection of restored books, unfortunately one of the restoration tricks used was trimming. I don't want to cast any doubt on the sellers but they really need much clearer pictures of the labels and to post what the restoration is in the auction, or there will be some unhappy buyers in their future.

email I sent 30 minutes ago...

Dear blastoffcomics,

Can you update the listings you've put up that showed restoration on their grade? You don't note the fact of restoration in your listing (either title or description) and your pictures are to fuzzy to read the grade detail (what type of restoration, what level Slight, moderate, or extensive, and whether the book was trimmed or not). All of these things are common practices among CGC sellers. thanks! good luck with the Waid sales!

their response:

Thanks much for the recommendation! Will get on adding specifics (and taking better photos!) ;)

- blastoffcomics

email I sent 30 minutes ago...

Dear blastoffcomics,

Can you update the listings you've put up that showed restoration on their grade? You don't note the fact of restoration in your listing (either title or description) and your pictures are to fuzzy to read the grade detail (what type of restoration, what level Slight, moderate, or extensive, and whether the book was trimmed or not). All of these things are common practices among CGC sellers. thanks! good luck with the Waid sales!

their response:

Thanks much for the recommendation! Will get on adding specifics (and taking better photos!) ;)

- blastoffcomics

(thumbs u

Shouldn't this thread be called "Did Mark Waid get rest-conned?"

Get it? Ret-conned?

[ deafening silence ]

No?

Alas. :sorry:

Mark was at a MCBA show years ago and got some low grade comics from me.

Clearly, his interest was in getting the comics to read so his having restored books

is very reasonable. I am sure that many were ones he bought as restored since

they would be cheaper (so he could get more). I am also sure that there were

books he bought as "unrestored" that prover to be restored when slabbed.

Yes, I don't think he was "collecting" them per se... I think as a writer and historian, he wanted to 1) read them and 2) have them as reference for his comic book writing.