• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

someone tell me about Gene Day....

17 posts in this topic

His work on the later issues of Master Of Kung Fu, which he both pencilled and inked, was just awesome. He brought a real design sense to the book, and some of his panel layouts and page designs were just amazing. :cloud9:

I agree....Gene Day was a wonderful artist. He tends to be under-appreciated, not that people don't like his art, he just seems a little "forgotten" and fell into the cracks. My MOKF page is one of the cheapest pages I bought, but also one I like the most in my collection, the Steranko influence is evident in a lot of his work.

His relationship with Jim shooter is also the center of a lot of controversy... there are even allusions that Shooter was partially to blame for his death. But I believe it was more his fragile health, chain smoking and being a perfectionist who started over and over again on pages that had to be finished yesterday which took him from us way too early.

I did look at the comic fan art site but didnt see any signed ones

And i cant seem to find anything on the Heritage one or do i have to register and then access more ?

If you are looking for signed art just to compare value, in general, signed original art does not command a premium over unsigned ones.

And for Heritage you have to register

Malvin

Im also noticing it says Embellisher instead of inker...

Were they trying to be cute or funny ?

Or do they do this on a lot of comics ?

They occasionally change the terminology for various reasons, but yes, basically he is the inker whatever they call it

No premium in general ?

Do you mean aside from the Kirbys and Romitas and such ?

There is no premium at all for signed original art, not even by Kirby or Romita. In some cases, it may even lessen the value, depending where it has been signed.

No premium in general ?

Do you mean aside from the Kirbys and Romitas and such ?

There is no premium at all for signed original art, no even by Kirby or Romita. In some cases, it may even lessen the value, depending where it has been signed.

I always like to use in general, because there are few absolutes in life (see, I initially said no absolutes, but that statement in itself is an absolute).

I'm guessing that if you poll 100 art collectors, and they have a choice of 2 similar panel pages (same artist, same book, both action) and one page is signed and another isn't, they would prefer the signed one. However, If you ask them how much more they would pay, I bet 80%+ would pay some trivial amount like a buck or two. There may be some collectors who would pay more, but I'm guessing they are rare.

Most of the time, a signature increases value because a mass produced item (printed comic book) was "touched by the creator". An original page was already touched by the creator (unless its the writer..) so a signature doesn't make it any more special. At least not for me.

Malvin