• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

The problem is some of the purchasers who got them at less than current GPA value ask me not to report the sale for obvious reasons and I respect that. If you bought an ASM 14, for example, at $5,000, knowing you got it on the cheap, (would you) want that sale to be purposely made public when you are trying to sell it for $9,000?"

Doug Schmell

Accurate sales data would only weaken the gullibility of the Mark, and a well executed confidence game relies on manipulating confidence. Creating a small window of trust is essential. Good move. (thumbs u

meh

Might be nice to talk about the comics...

For instance, seeing Doug's collection go up reminds me of how freakish and extraordinary the Pacific Coast pedigree is. Ish after ish of uninterrupted runs of NM+ and NM/M comics ranging from late '62 to the Bronze Age, nearly all with exceptional centering and nice page quality, is just an astounding thing to behold. As a long-time SA collector, I'm grateful such a museum-quality pedigree collection exists, and thrilled to see high quality scans of them. I'm just sorry the auction isn't being held on the east coast, so I could get a look at these gems in person.

You may want to avert your eyes, since this one's only a 9.6

DD7insane.jpg

Yep it's only a 9.6 but judging by the scan, the weakest 9.6 on the planet. Super soft corners, at least three chips on the right side of the book. :sick:

Jim

…and others have noted how many "sales" magically reappear in the next auction.

Or disappear if he feels they sold too cheaply :whistle:

"There are definitely a few books that had sold and then re-listed and then sold again in another auction, etc. I am grateful that these customers/consignors decide to sell again through my site than a competitor's. The problem is some of the purchasers who got them at less than current GPA value ask me not to report the sale for obvious reasons and I respect that. If you bought an ASM 14, for example, at $5,000, knowing you got it on the cheap, (would you) want that sale to be purposely made public when you are trying to sell it for $9,000?"

Doug Schmell

There are books are reappear WRIGHT away.........even on Ha.com, I do not believe they resell them either. I always give the benefit of the doubt because you can only speculate and do not have the full story. Just because some books reappear does NOT lead to the conclusion that Doug bought them back..SHAME ON YOU BOARD MEMBERS...FRICKING ZYGOTE'S

Everybody has made mistakes and I believe that you can change and grow and you gonna learn. Being attorney you are always held to a higher standard and unless you are in those shoes you can never truly appreciate where you have been and when you go in the future.

I hope this is a true and clean auction and I give ha.com the benefit of the doubt and not the members of the board that are trying to get the books and saying they are not bidding so they can get them cheaper.

neither Ha.com/nor DS is gonna bid up anything on this auction period, they have a contact and DS is not gonna go up against the 787 Million dollar a year Ha.com, what you have is a bunch of collectors who wished they did what doug did. Now the reality is you buy the book, not the man.

Might be nice to talk about the comics...

For instance, seeing Doug's collection go up reminds me of how freakish and extraordinary the Pacific Coast pedigree is. Ish after ish of uninterrupted runs of NM+ and NM/M comics ranging from late '62 to the Bronze Age, nearly all with exceptional centering and nice page quality, is just an astounding thing to behold. As a long-time SA collector, I'm grateful such a museum-quality pedigree collection exists, and thrilled to see high quality scans of them. I'm just sorry the auction isn't being held on the east coast, so I could get a look at these gems in person.

The Schmell Collection is freakish and extraordinary and has to be the pinnacle of the CPR Game since it's inception.

It's fascinating to behold and impossible to look away. The build-up has been rediculously long, practically forever, since those first whispers of 'special services down the hall' were posted years ago.

Shoot, the build-up to The Avengers only lasted five years. This is better. It's kind of like 'Shark Week' for comic book fans. And it has to climax in an unimaginable feeding frenzy. Has to. :wishluck::popcorn:

The Pacific Coast pedigree was freakish and amazing before any of its components was pressed and resubmitted for encapsulation. It can certainly be appreciated and enjoyed for its singular quality and completeness. Doug's collection has a bunch of them, so it gives fans of the pedigree like me a chance to oogle them via the Heritage scans, which are the best in the business.

Mitch please give up the predictions already. I mean it's just so boring already.

Sit back, enjoy the auction. Hell, even bid on some of them if you like them so much.

But please no more proclamations of comic grandeur.

+1,000

You geniuses are continuing to respond to him and you expect him to go away? :facepalm:

Everybody has made mistakes and I believe that you can change and grow and you gonna learn.

(thumbs u

As evidenced by a change in behaviors, correct?