• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

500 club....as evidenced by DS consigning his collection to ha.com at NO RESERVE...hello

hm

I only take that as evidence he wishes to sell his collection, but that's just me.

500 club....as evidenced by DS consigning his collection to ha.com at NO RESERVE...hello

hm

I only take that as evidence he wishes to sell his collection, but that's just me.

I don't know what it means, as his comprehension and use of the English language is atrocious.

For someone who is supposed to be educated and some sort of lawyer, it's actually quite disgusting and embarrassing to himself and his profession.

Jim

You may want to avert your eyes, since this one's only a 9.6

DD7insane.jpg

Yep it's only a 9.6 but judging by the scan, the weakest 9.6 on the planet. Super soft corners, at least three chips on the right side of the book. :sick:

Jim

Before the 9.6 showed up in Doug's vault, a 9.4 was in its place. Could be that same 9.4 finally came back 9.6 after the n-th sub to CGC

DD7insane.jpg

That is a beaut of a 9.2 9.4 9.6! :grin:

On a grading scale where this is a 9.4 (click link), the DD grade seems fair:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=933031

TTA44insane.jpg

Incredible. Wish I could see these in-hand, but the Heritage high-res scans aren't a bad consolation prize.

Books like these and the JIM 87 are why I don't agree when people say only the keys will do well.

These books are incredible, they belong in the library of Congress, these 9.6's and 9.8's are even better than most 9.6s and 9.8s because they are bright and perfectly centered

DD7insane.jpg

That is a beaut of a 9.2 9.4 9.6! :grin:

On a grading scale where this is a 9.4 (click link), the DD grade seems fair:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=933031

CGC has always been what looks to be on the "soft" side for DD #7. It's because the book is riddled with production problems...staple tears, printer wrinkles, ink transfer, chipping on the right edge. The book is a poster child for printer defects.

So for that reason, higher grade copies don't look as good as a #6 or #8 in the same grade because #7 has those problems on most copies to some degree.

Books like these and the JIM 87 are why I don't agree when people say only the keys will do well.

These books are incredible, they belong in the library of Congress, these 9.6's and 9.8's are even better than most 9.6s and 9.8s because they are bright and perfectly centered

+1

I think I hold "proof" to a pretty high standard, but obviously his disbarring as a lawyer stemmed from proven acts of larceny. I do also see real evidence that he bids on his own Pedigree books, which is why I'm trying to find out from Heritage whether he can do that in July.

Other things I find likely and some others speculative (such as whether he himself has trimmed books, etc.). I'm no Doug apologist, by the way. Just trying to stay level-headed.

Dan

I think trimming is the least of these offensives. If proof of the trimming is what you are waiting for to push you over the edge, then you were never on the edge anyway.

…and others have noted how many "sales" magically reappear in the next auction.

Or disappear if he feels they sold too cheaply :whistle:

"There are definitely a few books that had sold and then re-listed and then sold again in another auction, etc. I am grateful that these customers/consignors decide to sell again through my site than a competitor's. The problem is some of the purchasers who got them at less than current GPA value ask me not to report the sale for obvious reasons and I respect that. If you bought an ASM 14, for example, at $5,000, knowing you got it on the cheap, (would you) want that sale to be purposely made public when you are trying to sell it for $9,000?"

Doug Schmell

wow. just. wow.

that's blatant market manipulation.

the new buyers in the last 2 years, so ive heard rumored , are the Facebook guy, multimillionaires from China (to whom 2-4 million USD is pocket change) and of course Di Caprio

Much more than going on that, yes some hollywood, but wrong continent about the 5-6 new buyers( ALTHOUGH I have heard about 1 far east new collector), Ask ha, they know them ALL.

A drdonaldblake and Mmehdy dialogue piques my interests. .

If by "piques my interests" you mean "makes me want to blow my brains out because of the utter stupidity of both parties", then yes, me too.

Tim; you've hit a nerve here.

DrDonaldBlake saved my Young Azz when I first came on the Boards. he warned me that my FF #11 in 9.4 (which was top census along with only 3 others at the time) was worth far more than I likely thought and to be very careful. I quickly got a bid for 4X's Guide, decide to ask around and did much better because of his unsolicited advice.

If I ever get "Down Under" i owe that man a fine dinner... (thumbs u

TTA44insane.jpg

Incredible. Wish I could see these in-hand, but the Heritage high-res scans aren't a bad consolation prize.

When I saw the collection as a whole, this was my favorite book :cloud9:

I have seen many copies of this book, but no other copy I've seen, that I can think of, comes close.

No, I didn't mean to suggest that proof of trimming would push me over any particular edge. I just meant that some of the things people have discussed about Doug fall under the "if he does this, then he MUST do this" kind of speculation rather than dealing with more fact-based discussion.

Doug has done some bad stuff, no question. And I've not bought from him directly for many, many years, so it's not as if I'm justifying my actions here.

The books speak for themselves as well, and each of us will try to do what we think is right.

Dan

Doug's overall reputation in the hobby likely isn't helping him bring in new business, so the time may have come for him to start fresh.

Most likely, the time has come for him to go out with a bang and then slowly fade away into the night...