• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

I'm beginning to think this ChannelZero guy doesn't like Doug. hm

What's to like? A leopard doesn't change its spots, not sure why you people give him the benefit of the doubt. (Same people who would buy from The Devil?)

This incident with Blazing Bob only happened 6 months ago. It shows a complete disregard for ethics, principles, common sense, manners - take your pick or add a few more. It's a small incident that illustrates the pattern we've seen from Doug and how his mind works. He didn't even have any idea why Bob was mad at him for this! Nothing has changed; no matter how much blood money he makes, Doug is still scum.

I was being sarcastic. :jokealert:

What's to like? A leopard doesn't change its spots, not sure why you people give him the benefit of the doubt. (Same people who would buy from The Devil?)

This incident with Blazing Bob only happened 6 months ago. It shows a complete disregard for ethics, principles, common sense, manners - take your pick or add a few more. It's a small incident that illustrates the pattern we've seen from Doug and how his mind works. He didn't even have any idea why Bob was mad at him for this! Nothing has changed; no matter how much blood money he makes, Doug is still scum.

I was being sarcastic. :jokealert:

:gossip: I know, but it was a good segue...

…and others have noted how many "sales" magically reappear in the next auction.

Or disappear if he feels they sold too cheaply :whistle:

"There are definitely a few books that had sold and then re-listed and then sold again in another auction, etc. I am grateful that these customers/consignors decide to sell again through my site than a competitor's. The problem is some of the purchasers who got them at less than current GPA value ask me not to report the sale for obvious reasons and I respect that. If you bought an ASM 14, for example, at $5,000, knowing you got it on the cheap, (would you) want that sale to be purposely made public when you are trying to sell it for $9,000?"

Doug Schmell

awesome use of the search function on your third post. lol

I think the quality of the 678 books being sold by doug speak for themselves, if you are a collector...this is it....put your money where you mouth is...it anit gonna get any better than this.....marvel wise

Yeah, Doug by far has the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth. I'm sure whoever is #2 on the registry is happy... saying "whew.. finally"

Doug has the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth that`s in the Registry.

But it`s not the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth.

Yup. Tom's got the only Hulk #1 9.4, only FF #1 9.6 - quite the collection.

Doug and Tom were VERY competitive over the years, always trying to eke geek each other out.

Fixed that for you...

Damn this is a long thread...but interesting...p.32 working my way through...

Mmehdy, at first when I wrote the poll I wrote it thinking this was the top. But now, I'm thinking this auction is going to be historical, HUGE, over $6million, over $10 million. Why? Because those books are so pretty, and Doug pretty much got the pick of best Marvel collections. These are the best of the best. This is going to be insane.

The question is: can HA drum up interest from serious NY money to buy the keys and runs? Doug should have just went to Wall Street, he could have probably convinced someone to drop $10 million for the entire collection. The collection kept together is pretty much priceless.

But, it still may be a peak for a long time, maybe the market goes sideways for many years to adjust to these prices.

It's hard to say what will happen.

For someone who has the money and is waiting for the opportunity to chase down the best copies it is a difficult endeavour at best, forcing you to wait patiently as one copy at a time comes to market.

An offering like this can be very appealing for someone who does not have the time but does have the money (and there are probably a few people who have the money) to get an instant A tier collection.

Drop a $1MIL or two and instant bragging rights.

I was at a store in West Hollywood CA that specializes in things that people don't need, they specialize in things people want. It's called Diva Rocker Glam.

http://divarockerglam.com/

I spoke to a person there who told me they sell stuff to all walks of people. I think he said that the Queen of some Arab nation (the country escapes me) shops there.

It's difficult to imagine sometimes how much money out there is waiting to dive into something that nobody else has.

I'm not saying there is a DiCaprio in the wings waiting to gobble these books up but there are people out there with insane amounts of money that absolutely want nice pieces of Americana and some are even specifically interested in comics. There is no doubt about that.

There are actors, athletes, musicians, Hollywood directors and producers, International investors and just your regular Joes who have made it well enough to be able to buy themselves a piece of either their childhood or American pop culture. These people exist in the hobby and have been verified by many credible sources.

I think the big question that everyone is waiting to see is what prices they will ultimately fetch.

Will the collection be a bust or exceed expectations?

I'm not making any predictions but am excited as heck to watch.

I agree, as a whole this collection is worth far more. I would think if Doug had shopped it in NYC as a whole, someone would have wrote a check for $10 million for it. This collection altogether is almost priceless.

I would imagine that there are probably some very rich guys calling up HA or Doug and making offers on the whole collection as we speak, and there's at least some chance it never gets to auction if they reach the 'magic' number.

The entire collection will be in the July Signature auction. We are not "taking offers".

Just curious Steve...if a buyer put forth to HA "I'll put $10M in an escrow account for the purposes of bidding...and for each book HA places the next and final hammer price for each book to win the book at the end of each auction until the $10M is expended"...would that be an acceptable arrangement?

The way to handle the "greatest marvel auction of all time" and dont forget there are not just dougs marvels at this auction-see x-men 1 is to pick a few books and take a stand. Know in advance you are gonna pay, deal with it and keep clicking till you win. If you worry about what someone else is gonna pay, "Forgettttt about it". I would budget and add 20% above that as Ha.com has time payments for 6 months. If you are a true collector these books are not gonna come back on the market for a long long time.

As far as selling at another booth...the convention isles are PUBLIC walk ways, what kind of CRYBABY worries about some guy selling a couple of books walking up to somebody...Dude are you for real. When I owned a store or was selling at a convention that happened all the time, especially when I was BUYING books, let alone selling them. But by buying a table, you do not own the entire convention center. "Dude chill out"....

Jeff Spiloci

Ridgemont High School

Just curious Steve...if a buyer put forth to HA "I'll put $10M in an escrow account for the purposes of bidding...and for each book HA places the next and final hammer price for each book to win the book at the end of each auction until the $10M is expended"...would that be an acceptable arrangement?

hm Not sure. Never happend before, at least that I know of.

I think that if a person gives us the money in escrow, they then must still place their highest bid on each item they want. We can't decide what they should pay for a certain piece. When/if the money runs out, their bidding stops.

Of course, with a $10M senerio, they would probably not run out of money in a comic and comic art auction as HA has a record auction of $8.7M and other comic auction houses, much, much less.

Wish I had that kind of scratch to spend or even 100th of it :(

Mmehdy, at first when I wrote the poll I wrote it thinking this was the top. But now, I'm thinking this auction is going to be historical, HUGE, over $6million, over $10 million. Why? Because those books are so pretty, and Doug pretty much got the pick of best Marvel collections. These are the best of the best. This is going to be insane.

The question is: can HA drum up interest from serious NY money to buy the keys and runs? Doug should have just went to Wall Street, he could have probably convinced someone to drop $10 million for the entire collection. The collection kept together is pretty much priceless.

But, it still may be a peak for a long time, maybe the market goes sideways for many years to adjust to these prices.

It's hard to say what will happen.

For someone who has the money and is waiting for the opportunity to chase down the best copies it is a difficult endeavour at best, forcing you to wait patiently as one copy at a time comes to market.

An offering like this can be very appealing for someone who does not have the time but does have the money (and there are probably a few people who have the money) to get an instant A tier collection.

Drop a $1MIL or two and instant bragging rights.

I was at a store in West Hollywood CA that specializes in things that people don't need, they specialize in things people want. It's called Diva Rocker Glam.

http://divarockerglam.com/

I spoke to a person there who told me they sell stuff to all walks of people. I think he said that the Queen of some Arab nation (the country escapes me) shops there.

It's difficult to imagine sometimes how much money out there is waiting to dive into something that nobody else has.

I'm not saying there is a DiCaprio in the wings waiting to gobble these books up but there are people out there with insane amounts of money that absolutely want nice pieces of Americana and some are even specifically interested in comics. There is no doubt about that.

There are actors, athletes, musicians, Hollywood directors and producers, International investors and just your regular Joes who have made it well enough to be able to buy themselves a piece of either their childhood or American pop culture. These people exist in the hobby and have been verified by many credible sources.

I think the big question that everyone is waiting to see is what prices they will ultimately fetch.

Will the collection be a bust or exceed expectations?

I'm not making any predictions but am excited as heck to watch.

I agree, as a whole this collection is worth far more. I would think if Doug had shopped it in NYC as a whole, someone would have wrote a check for $10 million for it. This collection altogether is almost priceless.

I would imagine that there are probably some very rich guys calling up HA or Doug and making offers on the whole collection as we speak, and there's at least some chance it never gets to auction if they reach the 'magic' number.

The entire collection will be in the July Signature auction. We are not "taking offers".

This escrow thing is done frequently, the only thing is that other people have to have the right to outbid them. You can't say that bidding stoppped at $110,000 so I'm giving you the book at $120,000. What you do is announce that you now have a bid of $120,000 and give everyone a chance to top it.

Since HA opened a shop in Midtown, buyers from New York state now pay almost 9% more in sales tax, btw.

This escrow thing is done frequently, the only thing is that other people have to have the right to outbid them. You can't say that bidding stoppped at $110,000 so I'm giving you the book at $120,000. What you do is announce that you now have a bid of $120,000 and give everyone a chance to top it.

Since HA opened a shop in Midtown, buyers from New York state now pay almost 9% more in sales tax, btw.

Same here in CA...with them opening a coin shop in Beverly Hills... :pullhair::censored:

Same here in CA...with them opening a coin shop in Beverly Hills... :pullhair::censored:

As a Delaware resident, I'd be happy to serve in the future as your purchasing agent, Tom. My fees are modest. ;)

…and others have noted how many "sales" magically reappear in the next auction.

Or disappear if he feels they sold too cheaply :whistle:

"There are definitely a few books that had sold and then re-listed and then sold again in another auction, etc. I am grateful that these customers/consignors decide to sell again through my site than a competitor's. The problem is some of the purchasers who got them at less than current GPA value ask me not to report the sale for obvious reasons and I respect that. If you bought an ASM 14, for example, at $5,000, knowing you got it on the cheap, (would you) want that sale to be purposely made public when you are trying to sell it for $9,000?"

Doug Schmell

awesome use of the search function on your third post. lol

Stu-pendous, really. :grin:

+2 I haven't placed a bid since that happened as most of my purchases are in the 4-5 figure range and that 9 or 10% extra added tax is a killer :frustrated:

As a Delaware resident, I'd be happy to serve in the future as your purchasing agent, Tom. My fees are modest. ;)

lol Perfect...I may hit you up on that some day...

I've heard of another incident from another dealer, where he would literally pull the book out of another person's hand. You have to remember, a lot of people who are heavily into comics, really don't have any manners or social skills. Comics are their life just like when blood is in the water (raw,high grade original owner for sale collection for sale), the feeding frenzy starts and if you get bit, friend or foe it was because you were simply in the way.

The way to handle the "greatest marvel auction of all time" and dont forget there are not just dougs marvels at this auction-see x-men 1 is to pick a few books and take a stand. Know in advance you are gonna pay, deal with it and keep clicking till you win. If you worry about what someone else is gonna pay, "Forgettttt about it". I would budget and add 20% above that as Ha.com has time payments for 6 months. If you are a true collector these books are not gonna come back on the market for a long long time.

As far as selling at another booth...the convention isles are PUBLIC walk ways, what kind of CRYBABY worries about some guy selling a couple of books walking up to somebody...Dude are you for real. When I owned a store or was selling at a convention that happened all the time, especially when I was BUYING books, let alone selling them. But by buying a table, you do not own the entire convention center. "Dude chill out"....

Jeff Spiloci

Ridgemont High School

Mitch, people get killed everyday based on principle. You cut the wrong throat over a few dollars. The consequences can be severe. I guess you don't watch the news. Doug will walk up to the wrong one someday.

I've heard of another incident from another dealer, where he would literally pull the book out of another person's hand. You have to remember, a lot of people who are heavily into comics, really don't have any manners or social skills. Comics are their life just like when blood is in the water (raw,high grade original owner for sale collection for sale), the feeding frenzy starts and if you get bit, friend or foe it was because you were simply in the way.

If I was bob, Doug's book would of been on the floor and I would of said it has scs you don't want that book.

Jeff Spiloci

Ridgemont High School

The name is "Spicoli" - it hurts my ears the way you say it.

The one and only conversation I ever had with Doug, I came away with the impression all he collected were labels. Could be wrong, as I also came away with the impression he wasn't a bad guy and that turned out not to be the case.