• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay User fosland Waterson Fake on Ebay?

20 posts in this topic

This can't be the original that was just sold by Ha.com.... but he makes it sound like it's an original watercolor...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CALVIN-HOBBES-WILLIAM-WATTERSON-COMIC-ART-13-X-10-on-11-x-17-/270984443961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f17ee7839#ht_4318wt_954

I just re-read it, and he stops short of calling it "original" and just "artwork" so is it just a case of misleading listing??

The guy's Ebay user id is fosland

I am pretty sure it's just a photocopy.

My 10 second CSI found this feedback from last year:

Lot grossly misrepresented. Photocopy only. Item returned. Failed to make refund Buyer: smroth ( 2020) Aug-17-11 19:18

Reply by fosland (Aug-18-11 04:05):

Item was never returned for a full refund

I wouldn't buy anything from this guy.....

It's a giclee?!? Or G-Clay, as Theo would say...

I am pretty sure it's just a photocopy.

My 10 second CSI found this feedback from last year:

Lot grossly misrepresented. Photocopy only. Item returned. Failed to make refund Buyer: smroth ( 2020) Aug-17-11 19:18

Reply by fosland (Aug-18-11 04:05):

Item was never returned for a full refund

I wouldn't buy anything from this guy.....

It's a giclee?!? Or G-Clay, as Theo would say...
I contacted him through Ebay and hey said

It is not a print or a photograph. It is not computer generated image.

I was informed it is a water color. Some of the water color in tiny spots are on the pack of the art It is not an oil or pastel.

Regards,

Joseph

The lines are way too shaky for a practiced hand. I'm no expert, but I would wager Watterson's inking skills are far superior to what you see on the zoom (look at Hobbes paw and Calvin's face). I'm looking at my C&H books and there is quite a difference.

To me, it looks like it's a cover recreation, that's all.