• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Stan Lee retiring?

43 posts in this topic

Well he is 89, we are lucky to have him in any way, also perhaps it's to make to make him a bit more exclusive and give people another reason to go to his own comic convention http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/11/stan-lee-launches-his-own-comic-convention/

Comikaze is where I met Stan last year.

Found a round trip ticket from SA to LAX for only 107. But the cab ride from LAX to the convention center was more expensive than the flight.

Convention was eh, but maybe it will be better this year.

Well he is 89, we are lucky to have him in any way, also perhaps it's to make to make him a bit more exclusive and give people another reason to go to his own comic convention http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/11/stan-lee-launches-his-own-comic-convention/

Comikaze is where I met Stan last year.

Found a round trip ticket from SA to LAX for only 107. But the cab ride from LAX to the convention center was more expensive than the flight.

Convention was eh, but maybe it will be better this year.

Good lord! Bring a friend and rent a car next time lol.

The rumors of his cancellations are greatly exaggerated. A few of us hung out with him this past Friday night and were informed about an article in the LA Times to this effect. I never looked it up, but low and behold I've found it now!

Stan's people mentioned this article and the linked story on the page about Jack Kirby and how they were both attacks on Stan Lee springing from a writer with some kind of axe to grind, it may spring from the fact that the film festival he backed out of was sponsored by the LA Times. The Kirby article seemed pretty benign to me but the article that started this thread makes things sound more ominous than they really are. Stan is 89 and he is tired. And yes, he cut his Dallas trip short...sort of.

It was really more of a shift than a shortening. Since he couldn't make it Sunday, he appeared Friday night in an effort to make sure everyone that wanted an autograph or photo op got one. He smiled and chatted just like he always does and did not appear tired or under the weather at all. In all honesty, I was surprised at the way he was able to keep up and keep smiling!

Bottom line, Stan's people pointed out that the article said he was canceling all of his appearances and that was completely untrue. He cancelled one and shifted another and there were no plans to change any others.

Well I think no matter the reasons or truth in the stories of cancellations, it won't hurt that the great man just takes it easy and allows himself many more years of enjoying his life with his family and the fans that love him. I hope I'm not the only one that would sooner he spread himself a little less thinly and thus not put as much pressure on himself. That man is amazing for his age and I'm sure most of this is due to how active he keeps himself but there's no point in letting an overly busy schedule effect his health. Here's to many more years of one of our hobbies biggest icons staying with us and allowing us to enjoy his personality and stories about what we love most, comic books :cloud9:

Was ASM #100 the last Marvel comic book that Stan wrote during his "golden age" of writing?

(I know he came back with writing in other comic publishing lines)

I think he took a bit of a break to focus on other editorial matters and Roy Thomas wrote ASM 101 - 104.

However, Stan returned to writing ASM with issue 105 - 110, and then sporadically (sometimes with Gerry Conway) in one-teens to early one-twenties.

Bottom line, Stan's people pointed out that the article said he was canceling all of his appearances and that was completely untrue. He cancelled one and shifted another and there were no plans to change any others.

that is great to hear!!

Based on a comment in the Heroes thread I don't think he is retiring, but he may be cutting back. Someone talked to Shelton and Shelton has already talked with Stan and his people and confirmed he is still on for Heroes in late June.

The rumors of his cancellations are greatly exaggerated.

That's great news. :applause:

Never trust the press I guess. lol

I know there must be some folks that are very very relieved right now.

Did you have Stan sign a copy of this for you?

Okay, obviously the general public simply doesn't get it. Obviously a large chunk of the hobby doesn't get it.

STOP HAVING STAN LEE SIGN EVERY DAMN BOOK MARVEL PUBLISHES!

I'm all for doing what you want with your books. Get 'em signed, sketched on, whatever. I even understand having creators sign books they had nothing to do with but they did create the character. What I don't get is having Stan Lee sign books like "Captain America the 1940's Newspaper Strip." Stan had nothing to do with the book. He didn't write it, draw it color it, letter it, ink it, or edit it. He didn't even create Captain America! WHY would anyone have him sign it? New Mutants #86 is another example. He didn't create the New Mutants and certainly didn't stand over Rob Liefeld and tell him to put more pouches on Cable. WHY would you want Stan to sign it????

Don't get me wrong, I love Stan Lee, but having him sign every damn book that flows forth from Marvel's presses is just silly.

Here's what I propose: When someone sees a book like this come before Stan, ask the owner, "WTF?" or make the statement "He didn't do anything on that book, you dolt."

It's up to us to stop the madness.

I'm going to bed now I think it's actually the Maker's Mark doing the typing now....