• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what? no one has a comment on this?

29 posts in this topic

OK. Personally speaking, I thought it would have gone for (quite a lot) more. If I hadn't overspent recently, I would have cheerfully bought it at that price. If I'd have known that was going to be the finishing price, I wouldn't have wasted my money on other things recently.

Those comments might put me in the minority, but I think that is a HUGE book and I sincerely doubt that I'll be able to afford that particular copy in a decades time.

Oh man, my DC knowledge is 893censored-thumb.gif. So whats the deal with this issue??? And why should a 9.4 from 1970 be worth that sort of money??????

Explain, explain!

893whatthe.gif

It's arguably the most important comic published between, say, 1963 and 1974.

It's arguably the comic that started the Bronze Age.

It's arguably the most iconic cover DC ever produced.

It's incredibly hard to find in high grade, despite being highly collectable since about the day it came out.

Many consider it Neal Adams most important work.

It's the Pacific Coast copy.

It doesn't say Marvel anywhere on the cover.

Why?

Why??

It's arguably the most iconic cover DC ever produced.

Why???

It's incredibly hard to find in high grade, despite being highly collectable since about the day it came out.

Why????

Why?????

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I can only relate to the PC, they are damn nice cloud9.gif(without the mis-wrap 893frustrated.gif)

Why?

Because of the serious, modern, topical tone of the series that followed. It's the first issue of a series that helped to set the tone for comics in the 70s and beyond.

Why??

Read that crazy "what comic started the Bronze Age" thread.

Why????

I've always suspected that people have them tucked away. Either that or they were just read to death and rarely survived in pristine shape. 9.4 is Hi CGC. That's unheard of for a book from the 70s. It also means that once a 9.6 shows up some of these 9.4s will look a lot less attractive. Especially this one which went for a full 50% over the previous record for this book and sold close to double the low 9.4 sale.

Why?????

The convergence of quality and social importance.

thumbsup2.gif

I can only relate to the PC, they are damn nice cloud9.gif(without the mis-wrap 893frustrated.gif)

We should burn it.

seems like Heritages biggets remaining appeal to sellers is the frenzied bidding that still takes place plenty often. Maybe its the live bidding feature where you get all adrenalined up and keep clicking BID-- BID (I gotta have it - - Just one more) bid!!!

Ebay has the snipe ending.....thats it! all done.

Comiclink is just a race to meet the number, or the lowered agreed upon number.

Heritage is like an extra inning game and youre the home team.. You always get another turn at bat to counter and win.

Very nice book, but I have to believe that there are others out there in better shape. It's too recent of a book not to have collectors sitting on some nice copies. When those copies come out, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 9.2 at a good price.

I agree, and that's one of the few DCs that a Marvel collector like myself would like to keep in a permanent collection. I have a VF to VF/NM copy, and even if it was NM+, I'd never send it in. I doubt others would, as the reason for CGC certification is 95%+ for resale.

That book will be treasured and I doubt you will see it again for a long time.

We'll see if these record Heritage sales last weekend bring some more nice books out of the woodwork...and nice this one certainly is! thumbsup2.gif

i think its got everything going for it from importance, to artist to scarcity in grade. i was just absolutely amazed a 9.4 hit that high. i had it pegged for $1800 tops. everyone was looking for the next hulk181, well perhaps this was it.....

I'm not surprised it went this high. There aren't a lot in the census, and I thought the last CGC 9.2 went for about $1200... The 9.4 going for $2900 seems high... but this seems to be a very in demand book in high grade right now.

Either that or they were just read to death and rarely survived in pristine shape. 9.4 is Hi CGC. That's unheard of for a book from the 70s. It also means that once a 9.6 shows up some of these 9.4s will look a lot less attractive.

Although I'm sure that a couple of 9.6s will eventually show up, when they do I seriously doubt we'll see them on the open market. So for all intents and purposes 9.4 is the highest grade that most of us will have a shot at. Plus it may be a long time before a 9.6 shows up. Even the pedigree copies of this book haven't scored a 9.6.