• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicbook Guilty Pleasures!

66 posts in this topic

As comic book enthusiasts we all have comics in our collection which have very little monetary value, but with which we have a soft spot for.

Even though to the naked eye their practically worthless you secretly hold them in high regard.

The comics in your collection which you couldn’t justify getting graded but privately wish you owned in a CGC 9.8, 9.9 or 10. A comic to be proud of and others impressed by.

Well this thread is to give those said comics a highlight and to finally get that guilty pleasure off your chest.

Go on tell/explain to the world of your COMICBOOK GUILTY PLEASURE!

Mine... Ash #1 from Event...

http://www.comicvine.com/ash-burn-baby-burn/37-107315/[/img]

The odd Atlas Seaboard book...Targitt or Planet Of The Vampires. Combines nostalgia for books I remember reading in the early '70s with kitsch, as the books are generally terrible, distinguished by explicitly portrayed violence (at least compared to the output of the Big Two). Barely any titles got beyond issue 3, as the company just didn't have legs.

Mind you, The Grim Ghost wasn't bad and could've been a success at DC....

Got stacks of '70s Charlton horror books. Magnificently bad books with dreadful art. Almost impossible to read. :cloud9:

A lot of my late 70's/early 80's collection is one based on nostalgia vs. value. My recent purchase of Dollar Superman Family #191 is a good example. The stories don't hold up to the 46 year old I am today vs. the 12 year old who read them when they came out.

X-Men 66, SA.

After the magnificent run from 50 through 65, 66 is somewhat of a letdown, something that would've tucked nicely into the more mundane issues circa 26-40 or so. Perfectly nice comic, but....average. A shame to close out the SA run with something that just didn't grab me, but there you are...

I have stacks of Peanuts,Beetle Bailey,Sgt. Rock,Disney,Casper,tons of Dells and Gold Key comics from my childhood.I was lucky my mom never threw out my comics. :cloud9:

Same here, although not so many. The ones I still have were handed down to me from my big brothers. I know every pencil mark, crease, tear and missing piece on those books. When I look at them now, I can remember what I was doing when I read them as a kid. They are mostly worthless, yet priceless to me.

Not quite sure how to answer this. (shrug) Certainly have lots of comics series that I love to pieces that are virtually value-less, for example the Englehart/Gerber/Rogers/Golden Mr. Miracle run, or the Mike Grell Warlord, or the O'Neil/Chaykin Sword of Sorcery. But there's nothing guilty about 'em, those are great, great comics! :cloud9:

A bit closer to the mark might be comics I've added to my collection that I don't really like. I'm thinking of for example the Frank Robbins-written issues of Batman/Detective from the early 1970s that I only bought to complete the runs, and for the Neal Adams covers (blame these boards for that! :mad: )

And as for comics that have little value but are highly regarded, at least by me - Steve Gerber's Defenders. Not sure they're a guilty pleasure, but they are overwritten in a very ' 70s way.

Yeah, those were great. I remember buying them brand new when they came out.

Except for a few years in the early 80's, most of my collecting has been fairly recent. I don't have the childhood memories many of you have, but I do have some newer experiences. My personal contender for greatest personal value to actual value ratio is my copy of Heroes for Hope; the Marvel special issue that was published to raise money for African famine relief. I have ten different creator signatures on it, and a story that goes with every one.

I love the Charlton E Man series from the seventies, which no one is ever going

to want to seriously collect nowadays.

More recently, I have the whole run of Spider Man 2099, and it's one of the few modern series that I haven't sold off. I really enjoyed the book when it came out, even though it will never have any monetary value.

I also agree with what others have said regarding Atlas/Seaboard, Gold Key and Charlton. Love them all, probably for no other reason than nostalgia. :cloud9: