• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early thoughts on Captain_Tripps' website????

132 posts in this topic

I see your 9.4 FF 11 is featured there. laugh.gif

$10,000...? 893whatthe.gif

I'll take a nice F/F+ for $150-200 thank you. grin.gif

Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

It's a nice site, and looks well set up. It's fun to look at the books, but at those prices that's all I'll be doing. Looks like others are buying though

I think the articles are nice, hopefully Doug will be able to keep those going! Gorgeous Sgt Fury 1, btw.

Brian

Oh, and Doug, a comment regarding the Slobodian collection. I've heard from multiple sources that Calvin performed the restoration on the books himself, as he felt that it was conservation. Also, at one point he stopped buying books off the newsstand and did some trading back-issue buying. So not all the issues were original purchased off the newsstand by Calvin.

Brian

Fellas,

Thanks to all for checking out my site. It went live a day earlier than anticipated (there's going to be some kind of announcement in Scoop Magazine, tomorrow & the site launch was going to coincide with that until my weg designer told me we were ready to roll). Also, to those on the boards whom I had some contact with and/or gave me their e-mail adresses, an ad/announcement is on its way.

I want to apologize to anybody if they think I'm being a pig or something on the prices on some of the high end books. I didn't really want to list them or sell them (I'm still a collector as much as ever) but I'm moving soon and buying a house and figured this would be the way to possibly sell these gems. I know how much I've spent and would pay for books I want/need for my collection, and figured if somebody wanted the book as badly as I did, they would buy it.

Sorry for no back cover scans, but I guess as time goes by I could add them (you wouldn't believe how tough it is to upload the front scans plus book info on each book).

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's going to be many, many more books coming up on my site. And yes, Fantastic_Four, there will be DC's & Gold Keys, etc. (just no Golden Age, since I don't really know this genre as I do Silver/Bronze)

I put up what I had for now, plus books from consignors, but will have much other stuff as well.

Finally, I didn't put the 8% to undercut comiclink or anything. I realized as a new kid on the block, I would have to give an incentive to prospective consignors to try me out. Comiclink is very established and I'm certainly not, but with time I hope to be. Anyway, 8% sounds better than 10% anyway!

Remember, I'm always open for suggestions/criticism etc, etc. Please feel free to e-mail me, PM me or call me at any time. I try to always return messages because I truly care about other collectors and love to talk about books.

Thanks for the interest in my new venture. I' going to put a lot into it so I'm hopeful it will be a success and fun at the same time.

Doug.

Great site. acclaim.gif

VERY nice; the graphic design is definitely pleasing! thumbsup2.gif Hope you're able to keep it as snappy as it is...I'm always amazed how INCREDIBLY slow one or two of the other major sites with museum-quality books can be. blush.gif

Doug,

Congrats on putting together an excellent site, not just in terms of the books offered but also on how well the website has been put together, and the plethora of information available.

And I'll be looking forward to seeing some nice DCs and GKs on the site in the near future!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

-Tim

thats one of my impressions as well. Super HG books sure look cooler in your own collection...

than seeing them for sale with sticker prices like these!

I just have no interest in any of them at current prices. Not one book listed passes my litmus test of money well spent.... Great books!!!! but name one comic there that has a any chance of being undervalued at th eprice asked?

I don't think you can buy this stuff on the basis that it might be undervalued.

If the Louvre put the Mona Lisa on the open market with a $250million price tag would Bill Gates ask himself if he was getting a bargain?

If the Louvre put the Mona Lisa on the open market with a $250million price tag would Bill Gates ask himself if he was getting a bargain?

No, but he'd be cursing when Larry Ellison bid it up just because he knew Bill wanted it...

Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

it already sold!!!!!

first day and Bam!!!!!

i think that the book being just one of four presently at the top of the census did it. if it had white pages, it would have gone for considerably more. i'd gotten some pretty disparate offers for it but finally decided to go with doug since i figured between his connections and the folks who would likely peruse his site, i'd have a decent chance at a good price.

but it's tough starting out at the top as now there's no where to go but down. we'll see. the x-men #3 in 9.4 is mine as is the spidey 12 in 9.2. may list a group of spidey's all in 9.0 (if doug deems them worthy for his site) grin.gif

Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

it already sold!!!!!

first day and Bam!!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif That has to be the best 10 cents you ever spent! Where are all those other kids who rolled up their comics and swapped them for candy now?

Can Doug, or someone else please explain the buying process and what payment methods are accepted?

Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

it already sold!!!!!

first day and Bam!!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif That has to be the best 10 cents you ever spent! Where are all those other kids who rolled up their comics and swapped them for candy now?

i still find it puzzling that some books came through the 40 year ordeal in such amazing shape and others suffered the usual fates. my FF #12 stinks!! my hulks 1-6, likewise. i have strange tales that jump from 6.5 to 9.4 in successive comics?? my x-men 1 was an 8.0 and the 3 was a 9.4?!?! i've got books with tears and books with ice cream spills. and then the next 2 or 3 will be gorgeous.

i can't get a spidey to grade 9.4 for love nor money, but the strange tales consistently grade HG. and my JIM's are mostly all 8.5's or better.

go figure!?!?!? insane.gif

thats one of my impressions as well. Super HG books sure look cooler in your own collection...

than seeing them for sale with sticker prices like these!

I just have no interest in any of them at current prices. Not one book listed passes my litmus test of money well spent.... Great books!!!! but name one comic there that has a any chance of being undervalued at th eprice asked?

I don't think you can buy this stuff on the basis that it might be undervalued.

thats my point though. Nothing on that site is the equivalent of the Mona Lisa, a one-of-a-kind original. Perhaps one of the 6 books on the Vault page might compare...but even here, th ehighest graded copies are lesser characters first appearance. And the othrers arent the best graded. The MH Action#1 is the Mona Lisa of comics. First Sgt Fury isnt.

So, while every book up there is KILLER!! and would look great in mine or anyone's collection, when you factor in price, IMO (IMO!) theres not one book Im salivating over as an upgrade or a good deal, or as a grail to pay "whatever" for. Thats what Im saying. I dont want to be misinterpreted as spiteful, jealous or just plain ornery....

i'd gotten some pretty disparate offers for it but finally decided to go with doug since i figured between his connections and the folks who would likely peruse his site, i'd have a decent chance at a good price.

Wow, has the Internet obsoleted the days when original owners sold their collections to dealers at half guide? shocked.gif You're the first OO I've heard of who has been able to sell their wares straight through to the target audience who would pay the most for them.

How'd you do it? Did you come on these boards just to learn how much they were worth, or have you been collecting ever since you were a kid?

thats my point though. Nothing on that site is the equivalent of the Mona Lisa, a one-of-a-kind original. Perhaps one of the 6 books on the Vault page might compare...but even here, th ehighest graded copies are lesser characters first appearance. And the othrers arent the best graded. The MH Action#1 is the Mona Lisa of comics. First Sgt Fury isnt.

What a spiteful thing to say. Are you riddled with jealousy or are you just plain ornery? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif