• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early thoughts on Captain_Tripps' website????

132 posts in this topic

i'd gotten some pretty disparate offers for it but finally decided to go with doug since i figured between his connections and the folks who would likely peruse his site, i'd have a decent chance at a good price.

Wow, has the Internet obsoleted the days when original owners sold their collections to dealers at half guide? shocked.gif You're the first OO I've heard of who has been able to sell their wares straight through to the target audience who would pay the most for them.

How'd you do it? Did you come on these boards just to learn how much they were worth, or have you been collecting ever since you were a kid?

i bought all my original books (1000) roughly between 1958 and 1964. i then stopped buying for almost 40 years and only started up again 3 years ago. i found out about the E-bay boards first and then i believe it was Garth (where the hell is he, by the way?) who mentioned the CGC boards and the level of knowledge that existed over here. so i switched over and have been reading everything i could for the past 6 months.

when i got my FF#11 back and mentioned it in a post, another forumite was quick to point out the rarity of the book in grade and even offered to try and put me in touch with a prospective buyer. when that fell through i contacted captain tripps to ascertain it's value and see if he had interest. he did but we eventually agreed that i'd consign it to him and see what would happen on the new site. i got lucky and it sold immediately for a nice price. grin.gif

i've been threatening to sell some of my books for these past 6 months and will continue to follow through during 2004 and see what shakes out. i know that a FF#11 was high on your want list but this books' quality put the price way out there. i'm sure i'll be doing business with many board members this year. i've been continuing to pull in some respectable gradings on my original purchases. i should have my last 30 in hand by weeks end. 22 of them graded out at 9.0 or better, including some early Green Lanterns. cloud9.gif

i should have my last 30 in hand by weeks end. 22 of them graded out at 9.0 or better, including some early Green Lanterns. cloud9.gif

this post should be copied to the other thread questioning how many other Pedigree quality collections are just sitting out there. Sounds like Burnt boy's been sitting on one for 40 years. Good job!

Congrats, Burnt, on the great price for the great early FF.

I think there is something special about buying Silver age books that are not only in exquisitie condition, but also have a known provenance. It would be very cool to own books from the "Burntboy collection" after learning on these boards of their history. As someone who has looked very hard for high grade-but-still-affordable ten cent Green Lanterns, I look forward to seeing scans of these books from your collection, and possibly have the good fortune to buy a couple. Here's to Sid's Luncheonette!

It would be very cool to own books from the "Burntboy collection"....

First of all, may I recommend a change of Pedigree Name? flamed.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Might not be the best marketing idea to name the collection with a name that came about because the OO was burned by Hammer. Might cause misinformation about whether some of the books from the original collection might have come from Hammer, in the same way that people question whether all of the Slobodians are OO copies.

I was thinking the same thing. Might not be the best marketing idea to name the collection with a name that came about because the OO was burned by Hammer. Might cause misinformation about whether some of the books from the original collection might have come from Hammer, in the same way that people question whether all of the Slobodians are OO copies.

the whole "Burntboy" thing was done tongue-in-cheek because i was simultaneously registering on these boards and fretting over how much money i might be out after learning about "Hammer". so i chose "burntboy" to show that i still had a sense of humor despite the potential financial disaster. AND the Sigline - "they don't call me Burntboy for nothing"........

so, for better or worse, i'm sticking with it!!

and no one has to worry whether any of my books came from Hammer because everything i intend to sell will be slabbed and UNRESTORED grin.gif

You might have a tough time getting 3k for the ASM 12. A 9.4 JUST sold on eBay for 3,550.

Brian

i hear ya!!!!!!!!

and i think a 9.0 just went for somewhere around $1500.

so the only thing that we know is it falls somewhere in between those two.

but the site is set up like an auction so folks can bid whatever their hearts desire. if someone gets close to what i feel it's worth, i may accept it. i think Doug said it well earlier "i'm not trying to be a pig with these prices".........and in an ideal scenario, i'd like to help fellow collectors fill in holes in their collections with some beautiful books that haven't seen the light of day too often. what i'd prefer not to happen is to let these beauties go at "deal" prices and then have the buyer immediately try to "flip" them. ideally, i'd like to see my babies all get a good home and stay there for a great while smile.gif it is surprisingly hard to sell something that you've cherished for 40+years angel.gif

the whole "Burntboy" thing was done tongue-in-cheek because i was simultaneously registering on these boards and fretting over how much money i might be out after learning about "Hammer". so i chose "burntboy" to show that i still had a sense of humor despite the potential financial disaster. AND the Sigline - "they don't call me Burntboy for nothing"........

so, for better or worse, i'm sticking with it!!

and no one has to worry whether any of my books came from Hammer because everything i intend to sell will be slabbed and UNRESTORED grin.gif

OK fine, but I'm not going to buy any until you change the name. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Understandable. What's surprising is the B.A. ASMs are flying off of his site and I'd think those prices are quite high? I don't follow the B.A. ASM market but I'm starting to wish I had bought some last year. frown.gif

Hell, it looks like some of these books are going for more than the asking price. A few had bids OVER the asking price???

Surprising that out of all that high quality S.A. stuff, most ppl are buying the B.A.

Brian

Understandable. What's surprising is the B.A. ASMs are flying off of his site and I'd think those prices are quite high? I don't follow the B.A. ASM market but I'm starting to wish I had bought some last year. frown.gif

Hell, it looks like some of these books are going for more than the asking price. A few had bids OVER the asking price???

Surprising that out of all that high quality S.A. stuff, most ppl are buying the B.A.

Brian

i don't think you can outbid the asking price - once someone meets the asking price the book should appear as sale pending with no more bidding action - at least that's what i thought.

and i'd guess that those BA spidey's seem like big bargains when compared to much of the other stuff. oh well, glad to see that folks are buying grin.gif

i know that a FF#11 was high on your want list but this books' quality put the price way out there.

That's OK, I knew I wouldn't be getting it as soon as I found out you were selling it. I had already spent most of my comics budget recently on an FF 14 CGC 9.6 and FF 16 CGC 9.4. I also knew Drummy's FF 13 CGC 9.2 was on the market at the same time as your FF 11, and I like #13 better than #11, so I wanted to go for that one more than the 11 anyway. Had you taken what I offered, I probably would have dropped dead from shock and delight. smile.gif

I did end up getting Drummy's FF 13, so I'm quite happy. cloud9.gif That's one of my favorite early FFs! I've been wanting one bad for years now...

Industry,

Once a bid is placed, the bidder will receive a confirmation e-mail from Pedigree Comics basically telling them that they will know shortly whether said bid was accepted or rejected or if a counter-offer is going to be made. The confirmation e-mail is automatic.

Once the consignor receives the e-mail notifying him/her (her??) of the bid, he/she will e-mail back either his acceptance/rejection/counter-offer to Pedigree Comics, and this is automatically relayed to the bidder by another e-mail.

Once the price is finally agreed upon (or bought now, etc.), an e-mail confirming the purchase will be sent to said winning bidder, with payment instructions, etc.

It's pretty simple ( I hope) and fast. Right now all the kinks are being worked out so that everything is working perfectly.

For those who have placed bids, etc, you probably have received the confirmation e-mail and the next one either rejecting/accepting/counter-offering will come either today or tomorrow. I wanted to make sure that there were no mistakes,etc, so I'm having the web designer riple test the automated bid response.

Remember, unlike some other dealers, I personally answer the calls and talk to

collectors/bidders/consignors etc so feel free to call me at any time for any questions, etc.

Thanks again for checking out my site.

Doug Schmell

the "TAKE IT TO THE BANKS" pedigree sounds like a good name for burntboys books

burntboy- tohughts??

I like the "Sid's Luncheonette Pedigree" best of all. 27_laughing.gif