• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Superman doll/figure - need info

15 posts in this topic

Thanks Rich! Here it is. A friend in Atlanta emailed me to tell me about it Saturday and since we heading through there on our family vacation yesterday, I was able to swing by and check it out. It was a great price and just too cool to pass up. Like the Hake's one above it's had some restoration, but it looks awesome.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks Rich! Here it is. A friend in Atlanta emailed me to tell me about it Saturday and since we heading through there on our family vacation yesterday, I was able to swing by and check it out. It was a great price and just too cool to pass up. Like the Hake's one above it's had some restoration, but it looks awesome.

Untitled.jpg

The face on yours looks much better than the one on Hakes

The face on yours looks much better than the one on Hakes

Yeah, the restorer did nice work. She's a professional antique toy restorer there in Atlanta apparently. This was a real spur-of-the-moment purchase so I really don't know if I'm going to keep it or sell it, but right now I'm just enjoying how cool it is. :cloud9:

The doll is from 1940 and was made by Ideal Toys. I posted a picture of an example with the box in your thread in Comics General.

I've seen both dates listed in various places. Does anybody know more about the history of how this came to be made. I would think it would make sense for it to come out in the winter of 1939 before Christmas, following the big Superman marketing push during the summer with the World's Fair and Supes 1 and 2.