• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS Priority Boxes

48 posts in this topic

Also because they are FREE. If the PO charged for them you would see less double boxing going on...
Or people cutting up all those unused boxes for packing material, which, by the way, is probably illegal. Sometimes I feel like turning you guys in, as you're basically stealing from the taxpayers. :mad:

Also because they are FREE. If the PO charged for them you would see less double boxing going on...
Or people cutting up all those unused boxes for packing material, which, by the way, is probably illegal. Sometimes I feel like turning you guys in, as you're basically stealing from the taxpayers. :mad:

Another thing I dislike is receiving a FedEx package from one of the major auction houses and all the material inside is USPS. Using the USPS free boxes and not even using their service seems like stealing.

Stealing from the PO yes, but not the taxpayers. As the PO always says when the increase the price of postage, they are not receiving any money from taxpayers.

I suppose we could get a board lawyer to comment on whether or not it is stealing. Ethically it is, but technically if you are using the cut up boxes as protection to ship something else, you could put forth the argument that they are still being used for shipping.

They also make excellent moving boxes, by the way. And I have used them for shipping afterwards, before anyone jumps on me.

I've often thought that the PO could reduce some of their red ink by charging $1 per priority mail box. It isn't expensive, would still save shippers money over a regular box, and would discourage using those boxes for things other than actually shipping stuff (or at least offset the costs to the PO for producing the box better than if they just give them away). If people wanted to recycle a previously used box as protection inside another box it wouldn't cost them anything, and would squeeze a bit more utility out of it, but they likely wouldn't pay $1 per box to cut it up.

They aren't free they cost the PO money for each box with the intent that they will each be used for shipping and not as "free" packing material.

They aren't free they cost the PO money for each box with the intent that they will each be used for shipping and not as "free" packing material.

And ultimately, it will probably be a taxpayer responsibility to bail the USPS out as they spiral into insolvency.

I prefer to use the 1095 with just enough room for padding.

Double boxing is not bad, but the 1092 sits too close to the slab, not allowing for enough cushion. Crucial to prevent slab damage and pulls form the staple.

And for any dealer still shipping with #1092 only, do all parties involved a favor, just don't.

(thumbs u

Other pet peeve, those who use deep boxes and pad the heck out of the top and bottom, while edge of the slabs sit close to the box. ;)

Another thing I dislike is receiving a FedEx package from one of the major auction houses and all the material inside is USPS. Using the USPS free boxes and not even using their service seems like stealing.

Because it is.

Here is the verbiage on every "free" box:

"I understand that Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail

International packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for sending Express

Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International. Misuse

may be a violation of federal law."

And ultimately, it will probably be a taxpayer responsibility to bail the USPS out as they spiral into insolvency.

Maybe you didn't read the article. The problem with the USPS stems from a purely bureaucratic issue.

The postal service, which relies solely on sales revenue, is the only federal agency legally required to prefund 10 years worth of pension benefits regardless of account balance.

Private companies don't do this. Practically no one does this. So why does the USPS have to do it?

They may have overpaid up to 75 billion dollars into the civil service fund over the years.

http://www.pionline.com/article/20110627/PRINTSUB/306279976

i sent a slab recently inside 1 Priority box, bad idea...had tons of bubble wrap around the slab and still arrived cracked. Though most of the slabs i've received are sent the same way, bad luck i guess.

i don't see the problem cutting up priority mail boxes to help secure comics inside a priority mail box. I've even seen postal employees showing customers how to do the exact same thing.

I've come to prefer the double box method, a single box can easily get crunched up and even if the slab is sandwiched in cardboard, once the box is no longer "square" I think it's prone to more wear and tear. A double box is incredibly strong and is unlikely to arrive all crunched up/punctured.

I prefer to use the 1095 with just enough room for padding.

Double boxing is not bad, but the 1092 sits too close to the slab, not allowing for enough cushion. Crucial to prevent slab damage and pulls form the staple.

And for any dealer still shipping with #1092 only, do all parties involved a favor, just don't.

(thumbs u

Other pet peeve, those who use deep boxes and pad the heck out of the top and bottom, while edge of the slabs sit close to the box. ;)

For slabs O-1095 is the way to go but for raw books the O-1097 is great (especially if you are only sending 1-2 books.

Because Jr High.

Because Jr High.

No Jr High banana082.gif

Because Jr High.

No Jr High banana082.gif

:facepalm:

There are three relevant boxes:

O-1097 (weighs about 6.03 oz - 13.125"x11.5"x2.375") is the smallest of the three it will fit inside the other two boxes .

O-1092 (weighs about 6.40 oz - 13.375"x12.125"x2.75") is the next size, O-1097 fits snugly in one of these.

O-1095 (weighs about 6.95 oz - 15.125"x12.375"x3") is even bigger

If you are shipping locally (ex NJ-NY) weight doesn't effect price that much. However, shipping across the county move the cost up from $6.20 to $9.62 (not counting signature confirmation or insurance).

I've never sent slabs before, now I have 4 cgc slabs to send out soon in one order. Are any of these boxes good for protection for that number of slabbed books? The books are pretty costly and dont want to screw this up. I'd like to bubble wrap each slab and double box the shipment (with extra packing peanuts and such)

Yep, put the slabs in the O-1092 box and then put that inside the O-1095 box.

I also do the 1092 inside the 1095. Very cost effective. (thumbs u

There are three relevant boxes:

O-1097 (weighs about 6.03 oz - 13.125"x11.5"x2.375") is the smallest of the three it will fit inside the other two boxes .

O-1092 (weighs about 6.40 oz - 13.375"x12.125"x2.75") is the next size, O-1097 fits snugly in one of these.

O-1095 (weighs about 6.95 oz - 15.125"x12.375"x3") is even bigger

If you are shipping locally (ex NJ-NY) weight doesn't effect price that much. However, shipping across the county move the cost up from $6.20 to $9.62 (not counting signature confirmation or insurance).

I've never sent slabs before, now I have 4 cgc slabs to send out soon in one order. Are any of these boxes good for protection for that number of slabbed books? The books are pretty costly and dont want to screw this up. I'd like to bubble wrap each slab and double box the shipment (with extra packing peanuts and such)

Yep, put the slabs in the O-1092 box and then put that inside the O-1095 box.