• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers VS Batman

30 posts in this topic

I found this interesting. I knew The Dark Knight did gangbusters, but I didn't realize how much better it did than Batman Begins. A sequel typically gets a bump, but not this big, I think. It's hard for me not to see the phenomenon as being in (large) part, an honor to Heath Ledger. All of my numbers are compiled from Box Office Mojo, and totals are for worldwide box office. Rankings are all time biggest box office standings.

I've decided to place them in order from greatest worldwide box office of all time rank to least, compiling the 6 Avengers movies and the 2 Batman movies (I threw in the original Batman because the numbers are interesting!).

#4 Avengers $1.295 B

#12 TDK $1.001 B

#61 IM2 $623.9 M

#73 IM $585.3 M

#123 Thor $449.5 M

#144 Batman $411.3 M (Prince rules!!!)

#169 Bat Beg $372.7 M

#176 Cap $368.6 M

#325 Hulk $263.4 M

At a glance, the things I find interesting are:

1. Only the new Batman film has an opportunity to be in the top ten all time earners conversation.

2. Comparing TDK with BB, it's clear to me, death still sells.

3. IM, IM2, Thor, and even 1989's Batman all did better than BB. I find that noteworthy.

4. Remove all emotion, and realize that Cap and BB are almost tied in dollar amounts!

5. I would have thought Hulk did better than that.

I'd put the higher figures of TDK down to The Joker being in it more than Ledger's death. He's the show stopper, not Batman.

Is this adjusted for inflation or movie ticket prices or whatever it takes to put them on the same playing field? It's hard to compare a move from 20 years ago when ticket prices are double what they were.

Is this adjusted for inflation or movie ticket prices or whatever it takes to put them on the same playing field? It's hard to compare a move from 20 years ago when ticket prices are double what they were.

Not adjusted for inflation. Doesn't really matter. Adjust, and Batman does EVEN better compared to its modern equivalents. All the rest are withing 3-6 years. I took data just as it was off the site.

Watched this the other day on DVD. It still is a great movie!

:banana:

I would love to do my own directors cut of this movie. Less Bruce Wayne, more Batman. Annoyed me when I was 9, annoys me even now. Just lacked pace.

I would also re-do the fight scenes as they were pretty poor.

I was surprised to see that the Avengers passed 500 M in 23 days, 9 days quicker than Avatar.

Would seem to have a shot at #1... hm

I don't think so.

Would LOVE so, but don't think so.

I was surprised to see that the Avengers passed 500 M in 23 days, 9 days quicker than Avatar.

I don't think so.

I didn't think so either. That's why I was surprised it's on the pace it is on...

Watched this the other day on DVD. It still is a great movie!

:banana:

Yep.

thought it aged terribly. nicholson seemed great at the time but ledger's performance blew his away. the scene in the art gallery/museum was squirmingly bad.

I don't think so.

I tend to agre but im starting to think it has a chance. My friend took his wife and son yesterday for a 3:30 showing and he told me he had a hard time finding 3 seats together and that the theatre was at least 80% full! :o

Thats unbelievable considering how long its been out :headbang:

I don't think so.

I didn't think so either. That's why I was surprised it's on the pace it is on...

Avengers got out of the gate much quicker but Avatar's 4th weekend was $50mm while Avengers was $37mm. Avatar kept chugging along forever, Avengers will continue to draw but ebb at a much quicker rate. $650mm domestic is probable but won't reach Avatar #'s.

Also, Iron Man is a billion dollar plus property. :o

Makes the $4 billion that Disney paid for Marvel seem like a helluva deal in retrospect.

Not adjusted for inflation. Doesn't really matter. Adjust, and Batman does EVEN better compared to its modern equivalents. All the rest are withing 3-6 years. I took data just as it was off the site.

I thought Batman was great also. Funny it out preformed the moderns.

i dont think avengers has a chance at avatar. not because it is not a better movie. in my opinion avatar was a copy of numerous other movies just on an alien planet. dances with wolves is the first one that comes to mind.

the reason i dont think avengers has a chance is because after looking it up avatar ran 39 weeks in theaters when it opened up. it has since been released a second time and that bumped the numbers up as well. i knew it seemed like avatar played in the theaters for ever. i didnt realize that the initial run was 39 weeks.

i would like to see avengers get that type of run in theaters.