• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Robojo REALLY any different than some dealers?

286 posts in this topic

I saw this from a thread about ROBOJO and I cut and pasted it below. Please note this post is specifically about this comment....

"He may now be screwing people less than he used to BUT he is without question still screwing people

In my case, before i found the boards, i bought a raw X-men 2 from him back in October. It was advertised as a 9.2-9.4. Of course, when i got it slabbed, it came back a 8.0.

I started a thread about it in the "silver" forum and boardies started linking other X-men 2's that i could possibly buy as a replacement. Turns out that one of those links was the book i bought from him. Danny bought a slabbed 8.5 X-men 2 from WW comics back in April, cracked it out of the slab and then sold it on eBay to me as a 9.2-9.4."

I have cracked books out before and sold them because I personally did not agree with the grade. Does that make me comic scum?

Also, most dealers I have dealt with usually grade their raw stuff anywhere from .5 to 1.5 points higher than CGC.-sometimes 2 points higher!! Some dealers do it deliberate. Robojo is cracking open slabs yet some dealers AREN'T slabbing cause they know the grade will be lowered than what they advertise.

Why should these dealers be treated any different than ROBOJO?

Doesnt Robojo crack out PLODs and sell without disclosure? That's not close to cracking a blue label 8.5 and selling as a 9.2. I'm okay with disagreeing with CGC...

But to the other point of disagreeing with the grade...I can see an 8.5 to 9.2 leap but not a 7.0 to 9.4 leap.

And robojo has done some really bad things that I do not think other dealer I buy from would do.

Why should any person who has ever bought or sold a comic be treated any different than ROBOJO?

I saw this from a thread about ROBOJO and I cut and pasted it below. Please note this post is specifically about this comment....

"He may now be screwing people less than he used to BUT he is without question still screwing people

In my case, before i found the boards, i bought a raw X-men 2 from him back in October. It was advertised as a 9.2-9.4. Of course, when i got it slabbed, it came back a 8.0.

I started a thread about it in the "silver" forum and boardies started linking other X-men 2's that i could possibly buy as a replacement. Turns out that one of those links was the book i bought from him. Danny bought a slabbed 8.5 X-men 2 from WW comics back in April, cracked it out of the slab and then sold it on eBay to me as a 9.2-9.4."

I have cracked books out before and sold them because I personally did not agree with the grade. Does that make me comic scum?

Also, most dealers I have dealt with usually grade their raw stuff anywhere from .5 to 1.5 points higher than CGC.-sometimes 2 points higher!! Some dealers do it deliberate. Robojo is cracking open slabs yet some dealers AREN'T slabbing cause they know the grade will be lowered than what they advertise.

Yes! You should disclose what CGC graded the book as,or you are deceiving the buyer.

It's more complicated than that. I personally do not agree with the practice in any event, but an argument can be made in some cases. Disclose the CGC grade, tell them why you disagree and what your grade is. Expect it to sell for the low grade raw, not the high grade slabbed.

If you get an 8.0 back and crack it out as a way of destroying evidence, sell it implying that if subbed it could come back and a 9.2, then yes, I'd say that makes someone scummy.

Yes! You should disclose what CGC graded the book as,or you are deceiving the buyer.

Should a person selling a book that is in a CGC 9.6 holder disclose that it once was in a 9.2 holder?

i think a person has an obligation to tell if a book was formerly in a PLOD slab and is now being sold as non-restored, but I don't see any reason to tell a person what CGC once graded the book. They are not buying a CGC book, they are buying a raw book.

Should a person selling a book that is in a CGC 9.6 holder disclose that it once was in a 9.2 holder?

i think a person has an obligation to tell if a book was formerly in a PLOD slab and is now being sold as non-restored, but I don't see any reason to tell a person what CGC once graded the book. They are not buying a CGC book, they are buying a raw book.

If a book is in a 9.6 holder,than no I see no reason to disclose as it once was a 9.2.On the other hand if you crack a 7.0 slab and call it a 9.8 then I have issues.If a book was a PLOD and you call it unrestored then I have issues.

If someone can't tell the difference between a 7.0 book and a 9.8 book, I honestly don't feel bad for them if they get snookered. If you can't grade, stick to slabbed books.

C'mon brother you see that happening on Ebay every day,a seller calling a book NM+ when it's actually a 7.0.Or better yet you see Dupcaks special slanted picture to hide a books flaws.

Is this a troll thread? This can't be a real question.

Danny systematically sells restored books as unrestored, and he restores books himself, that's why his name is doge. He bad reputation isn't due to cracking books and selling them as higher grades.

If someone can't tell the difference between a 7.0 book and a 9.8 book, I honestly don't feel bad for them if they get snookered. If you can't grade, stick to slabbed books.

C'mon brother you see that happening on Ebay every day,a seller calling a book NM+ when it's actually a 7.0.Or better yet you see Dupcaks special slanted picture to hide a books flaws.

If a dealer were to rob a blind man selling him a 7.0 book and calling it a 9.8, I'd feel bad for the buyer. If the buyer has one or more eyes, then its on him.

As there is absolutely no promise that CGC will reslab the book in its original grade, the original grade is meaningless.

If a dealer were to rob a blind man selling him a 7.0 book and calling it a 9.8, I'd feel bad for the buyer. If the buyer has one or more eyes, then its on him.

As there is absolutely no promise that CGC will reslab the book in its original grade, the original grade is meaningless.

:facepalm:

Personally, I don't buy much of what you say.

You have a habit of calling out good dealer's names and dragging their names through the mud even when you have not made the purchase with the dealer. You also don't give the dealer and opportunity to clear their name before commenting on the transaction.

Link to discussion about Harley that you never followed up on.

If you crack a 7.0 it would be reasonable to assume that without some work it won't end up being slabbed at a 9.2 though.

TripMcSkip - thanks for posting this. What's your ebay ID please? Want to stay away from your raws...

TripMcSkip - thanks for posting this. What's your ebay ID please? Want to stay away from your raws...

:applause: Agreed!

Hmmmm, thought this sounded familiar (tsk)

The quote trippy is using is mine from I don't even remember when :acclaim:

I had been out of the hobby for like 9 years. When I left, for like the last year I had been looking for a HG xmen2 for like a year. I got back in the hobby late in 2010 and right away found robos XMen 2 auction and without much research bought the book. Obviously, I was naive believing that with 100% feedback on like 4000 transactions, he must be a good seller. I found these boards after a few email exchanges got me suspicious and the rest is history.

A while ago, I had it out with shad and some others about this practice so I'm not going to go over all the same arguments again. Wether anyone else agrees or not, I don't think it's honest to crack a book and sell it at a higher grade with no disclosure. I don't care how long you've been a dealer or how great a grader you are. You might be ten times the grader CGc is but CGC IS the standard by which comics are valued right now. I would never buy from someone that is knowingly and intentionally selling cracked books at a higher grade. I have a VERY hard time believing that people are doing that because they feel they are better graders than CgC and not because it makes the book sell for sometimes MUCH more hm

Trippy,

Why all the negativity ? Someone ream you bad enough that you lost

your home ? I lost my home to foreclosure, and yeah I'm pissed, but geez

dude, you come across as the most negative fk on the forum next to Joe.