• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Robojo REALLY any different than some dealers?

286 posts in this topic

I saw this from a thread about ROBOJO and I cut and pasted it below. Please note this post is specifically about this comment....

"He may now be screwing people less than he used to BUT he is without question still screwing people

In my case, before i found the boards, i bought a raw X-men 2 from him back in October. It was advertised as a 9.2-9.4. Of course, when i got it slabbed, it came back a 8.0.

I started a thread about it in the "silver" forum and boardies started linking other X-men 2's that i could possibly buy as a replacement. Turns out that one of those links was the book i bought from him. Danny bought a slabbed 8.5 X-men 2 from WW comics back in April, cracked it out of the slab and then sold it on eBay to me as a 9.2-9.4."

I have cracked books out before and sold them because I personally did not agree with the grade. Does that make me comic scum?

Also, most dealers I have dealt with usually grade their raw stuff anywhere from .5 to 1.5 points higher than CGC.-sometimes 2 points higher!! Some dealers do it deliberate. Robojo is cracking open slabs yet some dealers AREN'T slabbing cause they know the grade will be lowered than what they advertise.

Why should these dealers be treated any different than ROBOJO?

Yes! You should disclose what CGC graded the book as,or you are deceiving the buyer.

Why?

Does this apply only to slabbed books or are you supposed to disclose the entire ownership of the comic when you are selling it?

Seems like this conversation happens about every 6 months. The reason is that CGC grades are different. There's a CGC grade, and then there's anyone else's grade; yours, mine, anyone's. As long as they are the only reputable 3rd party grader, their grade is the closest thing there is to a "real grade" that you can get. So, that info means more than other points about a comic's history.

In some cases I disagree. I'm not saying CGC cannot grade or they lack credibility, however their opinion of a grade is just that, an opinion. I'd put Flaming Telepath's or Bob Storms' grading up against theirs any day.

I would too,but would you trust Dupcaks,or TrippyMcSkippey's here.No.

Again, you are missing the point. Why trust anyone but yourself. What matters is what you think of the book. Not the seller, not the previous owner, not a third party grading company who looked at the book in the past. If the seller tries to sell you a book he calls 9.8, but you call a 7.0, does it really matter if you think the price being asked is fair?

The CGC grade matters if you're considering the fact that the comic may enter the marketplace again, this time with you as the seller. In that case, the CGC grade is king, like it or not.

+1

It doesn't matter if shad, Bob or anyone else is a better grader than CGC. A lot of them probably are but they are also using a different standard since no one really knows CGCs standard exactly. If you ever plan to sell a book, 99% of the buyers aren't going to give a rats what grade someone else gave it. They're going to care what CGC will give it. That's just the way the hobby is at the moment.

I saw this from a thread about ROBOJO and I cut and pasted it below. Please note this post is specifically about this comment....

"He may now be screwing people less than he used to BUT he is without question still screwing people

In my case, before i found the boards, i bought a raw X-men 2 from him back in October. It was advertised as a 9.2-9.4. Of course, when i got it slabbed, it came back a 8.0.

I started a thread about it in the "silver" forum and boardies started linking other X-men 2's that i could possibly buy as a replacement. Turns out that one of those links was the book i bought from him. Danny bought a slabbed 8.5 X-men 2 from WW comics back in April, cracked it out of the slab and then sold it on eBay to me as a 9.2-9.4."

I have cracked books out before and sold them because I personally did not agree with the grade. Does that make me comic scum?

Also, most dealers I have dealt with usually grade their raw stuff anywhere from .5 to 1.5 points higher than CGC.-sometimes 2 points higher!! Some dealers do it deliberate. Robojo is cracking open slabs yet some dealers AREN'T slabbing cause they know the grade will be lowered than what they advertise.

Yes! You should disclose what CGC graded the book as,or you are deceiving the buyer.

Why?

Does this apply only to slabbed books or are you supposed to disclose the entire ownership of the comic when you are selling it?

Seems like this conversation happens about every 6 months. The reason is that CGC grades are different. There's a CGC grade, and then there's anyone else's grade; yours, mine, anyone's. As long as they are the only reputable 3rd party grader, their grade is the closest thing there is to a "real grade" that you can get. So, that info means more than other points about a comic's history.

In some cases I disagree. I'm not saying CGC cannot grade or they lack credibility, however their opinion of a grade is just that, an opinion. I'd put Flaming Telepath's or Bob Storms' grading up against theirs any day.

Again, you are missing the point. Why trust anyone but yourself. What matters is what you think of the book. Not the seller, not the previous owner, not a third party grading company who looked at the book in the past. If the seller tries to sell you a book he calls 9.8, but you call a 7.0, does it really matter if you think the price being asked is fair?

The CGC grade matters if you're considering the fact that the comic may enter the marketplace again, this time with you as the seller. In that case, the CGC grade is king, like it or not.

+1

It doesn't matter if shad, Bob or anyone else is a better grader than CGC. A lot of them probably are but they are also using a different standard since no one really knows CGCs standard exactly. If you ever plan to sell a book, 99% of the buyers aren't going to give a rats what grade someone else gave it. They're going to care what CGC will give it. That's just the way the hobby is at the moment.

Not true, there are certain people here and dealers that I will buy a raw book from and if I sell it and tell the person that I got a certain grade from the person that I bought the book from there would be no questions asked.

Why?

It looks like someday we're going to need something like CARFAX for comic books. (shrug)

The way I view disclosing prior grades is this.

It's a safe assumption to make that most members agree with the grading system implemented by CGC. The belly aching that occurs, in regards to a grade, is usually pretty narrow. I've not seen many examples of a 9.6 that people think should have been a 7 or 8. Like anything not proven by a set of mathematical certainties, there will always be a subjective perspective.

Prior to the encapsulation process, comics were bought and sold based on the grades of trusted dealers. If you trust the dealer, than hush up and don't worry. If the dealer is questionable, than see prior sentence. (thumbs u

Why?

+1

Not true, there are certain people here and dealers that I will buy a raw book from and if I sell it and tell the person that I got a certain grade from the person that I bought the book from there would be no questions asked.

I think you are misunderstanding me. To the VAST majority of people that doesn't matter since they aren't grading by CGCs standard. Take whoever is considered by far the best grader here on the boards. Whoever that is, I don't thinks there is any question he is a better grader than CGC. I think that's a 100% guarantee but they are grading by their standards which is almost definitely different from CGCs. If their 9.6 is a CGC 9.2 that's a BIG problem even if the book truly is a 9.6 by what SHOULD be the standard. If it isn't a CGC 9.6 though, that's a BIG problem isn't it?

Say it's a VERY expensive book like some early Spidey or FF. Its in a 9.2 holder but this person who IS FOR A FACT a better grader than CGc gives it a 9.6 by his standards and cracks it. You buy it for $25,000 sold as a 9.6. At some point wether to sell it or not, you get it slabbed and it gets the same 9.2 it had before it was cracked. According to gpa, You now own a $2500 book that you paid 25k for since CGC is without question the standard when it comes to grading in this hobby right now regardless of who their grading is inferior to. Now I know some people will say they don't care because they will never sell or because they know it really is a 9.6 so that wouldn't bother them. I don't believe for a second that 99.99% of people are going to be happy in that situation especially after they find out it was previously in a 9.2 holder and they weren't told.

I'll put it this way: Say there's a grader out there who is so spot on, he's just right. What he says is true. If he says a comic is a 9.6, that's what it is, God himself would agree.

Now, take that 9.6 comic and get it graded by CGC. If it comes back as a CGC 9.2 and you sell it, the buyer, 99% of the time, is going to care more about the CGC grade. That's what it means to be the standard. Until there's real competition for CGC, they will have this power, like it or not.

I'll put it this way: Say there's a grader out there who is so spot on, he's just right. What he says is true. If he says a comic is a 9.6, that's what it is, God himself would agree.

Now, take that 9.6 comic and get it graded by CGC. If it comes back as a CGC 9.2 and you sell it, the buyer, 99% of the time, is going to care more about the CGC grade. That's what it means to be the standard. Until there's real competition for CGC, they will have this power, like it or not.

... my ears are burning...

Why?

+1

I think you are misunderstanding me. To the VAST majority of people that doesn't matter since they aren't grading by CGCs standard. Take whoever is considered by far the best grader here on the boards. Whoever that is, I don't thinks there is any question he is a better grader than CGC. I think that's a 100% guarantee but they are grading by their standards which is almost definitely different from CGCs. If their 9.6 is a CGC 9.2 that's a BIG problem even if the book truly is a 9.6 by what SHOULD be the standard. If it isn't a CGC 9.6 though, that's a BIG problem isn't it?

Say it's a VERY expensive book like some early Spidey or FF. Its in a 9.2 holder but this person who IS FOR A FACT a better grader than CGc gives it a 9.6 by his standards and cracks it. You buy it for $25,000 sold as a 9.6. At some point wether to sell it or not, you get it slabbed and it gets the same 9.2 it had before it was cracked. According to gpa, You now own a $2500 book that you paid 25k for since CGC is without question the standard when it comes to grading in this hobby right now regardless of who their grading is inferior to. Now I know some people will say they don't care because they will never sell or because they know it really is a 9.6 so that wouldn't bother them. I don't believe for a second that 99.99% of people are going to be happy in that situation especially after they find out it was previously in a 9.2 holder and they weren't told.

How does a grader tell a book in a 9.2 slab is actually a 9.6 without opening it first?

If you want a 9.6 CGC slab, buy one. If you want to buy a raw 9.6. learn how to grade or learn which dealers deliver the goods. Its really not that hard.

Just curious guys, playing the Devil's advocate, should I disclose the prior grades on the books I've bought here? Usually, if I'm selling them, my grade is lower than that assigned by the CGC Board seller, and basically, the transaction was a failure..... or rather a learning experience. But am I going to haggle over 1/2 a grade? A full grade? No - I'm going to move on and file the experience for future reference.

This is only a Devil's advocate question. Personally, through cracking a crappload of books, I think CGC is over as much as it is under - Not surprising since they have no published standards. Of course, they are spot on quite a bit of the time. It's not good, bad or otherwise, just so. As is your CGC board member - over, under, spot on.

By the way - I keep all the labels, and intend to give my opinion, along with the CGC grade, when I sell them. However, I don't quite feel right saying, "Joe Blow CGC board guy's grade was 8.0, and mine is 7.5."

Discuss.

While it might be nice, there is no obligation to disclose a deslabbed books CGC grade, anymore than there is to disclose Metro's or Harley Yee's grade. CGC doesn't even feel obligated to hand out the same grade on resubmission. But unless you have a stellar reputation, don't expect to get the same prices for high grade material that slabbed books do. While CGC may be "the standard" inasmuch as most informed collectors are fairly comfortable with their grading most of the time, there is not universal acceptance that their grades are always consistent. Hence, the common advice to buy the book, not the number. The fact is the vast majority of comics sold are raw, and no doubt the grade on a given book shifts up and down as it changes hands. Ideally it should stay in a grade range that most reasonable people could agree on, though sadly in practice this is not always the case. The security of buying a slabbed book isn't that the grade is absolute, but that it the listed grade is very likely within that book's acceptable range.

The questionable seller who sells a former CGC 8.0 as a raw 9.2, knowing full well that they are pushing the grade outside the range most educated collectors would agree on, will do the same with a raw they bought as as an 8.0 as well.

The questionable seller who sells a former CGC 8.0 as a raw 9.2, knowing full well that they are pushing the grade outside the range most educated collectors would agree on, will do the same with a raw they bought as as an 8.0 as well.

That seller will soon get a bed reputation or be out of business. Thats why you should always buy from well established legit sellers, not fly by nite guys offering you the world for less than market price.

That seller will soon get a bed reputation or be out of business.

:think: are we talking 'dealers with benefits' here? :think:

Why?

+1

How does a grader tell a book in a 9.2 slab is actually a 9.6 without opening it first?

If you want a 9.6 CGC slab, buy one. If you want to buy a raw 9.6. learn how to grade or learn which dealers deliver the goods. Its really not that hard.

You are still missing the point, intentionally I presume to justify your position. It Doesn't matter one iota if you, me or anyone can grade or deliver the goods. If they KNOW it's a CGC 9.2 because they cracked it, yours mine or anyone else's grade is meaningless.

Up until a website is devoted to showing the prices of all books sold in each of yours or anyone's else's grades other than CGC, upping the grade CGC gave is screwing over the buyer IMO.

That seller will soon get a bed reputation or be out of business. Thats why you should always buy from well established legit sellers, not fly by nite guys offering you the world for less than market price.

One would hope that sort of policing of the market place would take effect, but unfortunately a bad reputation doesn't always equate with lack of sales. I'm also all for giving relatively unknown sellers the opportunity to prove themselves legit, but as always, caveat emptor.

Say it's a VERY expensive book like some early Spidey or FF. Its in a 9.2 holder but this person who IS FOR A FACT a better grader than CGc gives it a 9.6 by his standards and cracks it. You buy it for $25,000 sold as a 9.6. At some point wether to sell it or not, you get it slabbed and it gets the same 9.2 it had before it was cracked.

If someone considered a better ( which I take to mean tighter) grader than CGC considers the book a 9.6, then I would say that the book is just as likely to come back a 9.6 than a 9.2 on resubmission. The fallacy in the above line of thinking is that CGC grades are constant. If CGC can't guarantee the grade of a book on resubmission, how can anyone else?

Say it's a VERY expensive book like some early Spidey or FF. Its in a 9.2 holder but this person who IS FOR A FACT a better grader than CGc gives it a 9.6 by his standards and cracks it. You buy it for $25,000 sold as a 9.6. At some point wether to sell it or not, you get it slabbed and it gets the same 9.2 it had before it was cracked.

If someone considered a better ( which I take to mean tighter) grader than CGC considers the book a 9.6, then I would say that the book is just as likely to come back a 9.6 than a 9.2 on resubmission. The fallacy in the above line of thinking is that CGC grades are constant. If CGC can't guarantee the grade of a book on resubmission, how can anyone else?

I don't see that as having any validity whatsoever. Someone else can be the greatest grader ever but have different criteria than CGC. No one even knows CGCs criteria. If that were the case, get it regraded instead of giving it a grade that puts a bunch more money in your pocket!

CGCs grade is the law right now in this hobby, there is NO, NONE, ZERO, ZIP reasons for changing it! (thumbs u

Oh wait...... There is one reason! hm:whistle:

I've sold a load of unslabbed CGC books and always disclosed what CGC graded them at...actually, there's a ton of them currently on the site.

However, I've never graded a book higher than CGC have and find many of them are actually lower.

FT your reputation is impeccable,and certainly always above board.I just can't understand for the life of me why if somebody had information on a book,or history of CGC's grade why they wouldn't disclose.I find it amazing that after everything that has held true to Dupcak intentions and involvement that someone would be that so idiotic as to post a thread such as this.

As CGC's grade is an opinion, I don't agree that you must reveal it.

However, I think it's ethical and sensible business practice to do so. (thumbs u

How do you guys feel about this example?

A friend who has a LCS had someone walk in the door with an Action #1. Guy knows its valuable but isn't sure exactly what its worth. This is at the time CGC was located in New Jersey. As there was a major convention coming up in NYC, my friend takes the day off and goes to Jersey for a one day walk thru service.

book comes back a 4.0 PLOD, with small pieces of glue added to spine. Book is sold the first day of the con to a major dealer. On the last day of the show- CGC is doing on-site grading, the dealer shows up at my friends booth and lo and behold the book is now in a Universal label, only its now a 3.5.

Does the new owner have an obligation to tell people this book was once in a PLOD? If not, why not? The book went from having a $35,000 value to having almost double that.

Pretty sad because it leads to label chasing and buyers not evaluating a book before buying it. I'm amazed by how much blind faith some collectors put in grades assigned by third party grading services.

How do you guys feel about this example?

A friend who has a LCS had someone walk in the door with an Action #1. Guy knows its valuable but isn't sure exactly what its worth. This is at the time CGC was located in New Jersey. As there was a major convention coming up in NYC, my friend takes the day off and goes to Jersey for a one day walk thru service.

book comes back a 4.0 PLOD, with small pieces of glue added to spine. Book is sold the first day of the con to a major dealer. On the last day of the show- CGC is doing on-site grading, the dealer shows up at my friends booth and lo and behold the book is now in a Universal label, only its now a 3.5.

Does the new owner have an obligation to tell people this book was once in a PLOD? If not, why not? The book went from having a $35,000 value to having almost double that.

hm