• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC Comics History

46 posts in this topic

After you've read some of the historical background on EC comics I highly recommend locating copies of what I consider the greatest fan published magazine ever produced, Squa Tront. Squa Tront was the brainchild of the late Jerry Weist, long time EC fan and entrepreneur. This is the cover of the first issue, from '67, successive issues would feature original art by former EC artists, interviews and articles on the history of the publisher.

Should the Squa Tronts be read in order of publication; or does it matter?

Order does not matter. These are great magazines.

I don't consider that very pricey in that condition as it's about $22 per issue for an awful lot of good reading. I would think it likely that you can find cheaper copies in lesser condition.

I should state that I don't know the seller and that I'm only going by the description and the pictures in the auction listing.

I don't consider that very pricey in that condition as it's about $22 per issue for an awful lot of good reading. I would think it likely that you can find cheaper copies in lesser condition.

+1 :headbang:

If a set can be obtained in nice shape for $200 or even $300 that sounds like a steal to me.

These aren't typical fanzines at all. In fact, as Weist's publication developed it moved from being a well done amateur fan publication to a quasi-professional experimental art-zine focused on everything related to EC and the artists who worked there. Most of Squa Tront was composed of rare unpublished art, original paintings and drawings by the EC artists and inside stories relayed through interviews. Squa Tront is a treasure trove of EC memorabilia!

The experimental peak came around issue #4, with multiple color covers and sophisticated layout never attempted on any fan created publication of which I'm aware. Later issues are equally good even though the formatting settled into a more traditional pro-magazine layout. No EC fan should be without a set of Squa Tront, IMO.

Question, whats the top 3 horror Covers to get from EC

Everyone has their own preferences, and since there may be several EC books I'd like to have in HG, I'm hesitant to get too specific (sometimes it's best to keep one's cards close to the vest, so to speak).

That said, the general consensus seems to be that the best cover artists for the horror books were "Ghastly" Graham Ingles and Jack Davis. They were the later cover artists for Haunt of Fear and Tales From the Crypt, respectively. Of those, Davis cover for Crypt #44 is pretty cutting edge and Ingles Cover for Fear #15 rises to the occasion.

Johnny Craig's cover art can't be overlooked though. His Vault of Horror covers are genuinely creepy and Crime Suspenstories #22 is a grail book for most horror collectors. Also, Vault #32 is another Craig tour de force (even with the bloody axe removed prior to publication by editorial discretion).

help please- i believe there was a series of bound reprints from the 80's - 90's of most EC horror titles. I was offered the opportunity to purchase these. Any advice would be great. 5 volumes of vault of horror, the haunt of fear,crime suspenstories, shock suspenstories, and tales from the crypt. Are these collectible, rare, a dime a dozen? thanks in advance for boardie insight.

If it's like the link below they are not rare but they are still desirable for those wanting a better way to view the beautiful b&w original line work. I don't know what they usually go for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-C-5-VOLUME-EC-ARCHIVE-SET-VAULT-OF-HORROR-VIOLENCE-/221030363405?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item33766fb10d

If it's like the link below they are not rare but they are still desirable for those wanting a better way to view the beautiful b&w original line work. I don't know what they usually go for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-C-5-VOLUME-EC-ARCHIVE-SET-VAULT-OF-HORROR-VIOLENCE-/221030363405?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item33766fb10d

That is exactly what is offered. thx

help please- i believe there was a series of bound reprints from the 80's - 90's of most EC horror titles. I was offered the opportunity to purchase these. Any advice would be great. 5 volumes of vault of horror, the haunt of fear,crime suspenstories, shock suspenstories, and tales from the crypt. Are these collectible, rare, a dime a dozen? thanks in advance for boardie insight.

The Russ Cochran bound volumes, which come in giant slipcovers, can sometimes be very valuable. The Haunt of Fear is especially hard to find, while some of the other ones are relatively common (Shock and Crime SS). The Moon/Girl/Romance and Romantic Love volume is also relatively hard to get. For some reason the Mad volumes -- the only ones in full color -- are also more valuable than most. (And there was a limited printing of black-and-white Mad volumes which is said to be valuable due to rarity, though for my money the color version is the better one to own.)

These Russ Cochran volumes are the way to go if you want to read the entire run of a comic, and if you are farsighted or simply prefer the larger format, which is very attractive. I don't know what you were offered these for, but chances are you can eventually resell them individually at a profit, though I haven't followed the market lately.

He only wants 150 bucks for them and only has the titles I mentioned. They do have some wear on the slip covers , but the individual books look like they have been read only once. Thanks for the intel Bob.

He only wants 150 bucks for them and only has the titles I mentioned. They do have some wear on the slip covers , but the individual books look like they have been read only once. Thanks for the intel Bob.

Nice find! I'm jealous. Good luck with your purchase.

Five volumes for $150 is $30 per volume, which is a score even with damaged slipcovers. You could very likely resell them for $50 to $150 each. After reading them several times, of course.

Picked them up this afternoon. Turns out there are 7 volumes. The Weird Fantasy and the Weird Science-Fantasy/Incredible Science Fiction were also included. Nice surprise!

Picked them up this afternoon. Turns out there are 7 volumes. The Weird Fantasy and the Weird Science-Fantasy/Incredible Science Fiction were also included. Nice surprise!

He shoots, he scores! The Weird Fantasy volumes are must-reads.