• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redesigning CGC slabs

43 posts in this topic

Anyone know if CGC has ever thought about redesigning their slabs?

I personally am not a fan of the big label on top of the front of the slab. Some people might like it to show off the comics grade easily, but I think it's ugly. I'd much rather see a slab where that top label part is removed, and that info is somehow placed on the back of the slab.

CGC should at least experiment with a 'designer' slab. They could charge a $5-10 premium for the slab on newly graded comics, and offer a paid service to change out previously graded comics into new slabs. CGC would have a new revenue stream and people that wanted a nicer slab would be happy. For people that didn't care or like the designer slab, they could ignore it and things for them would remain exactly the same. Why wouldn't they try this?

I personally am not a fan of the big label on top of the front of the slab. Some people might like it to show off the comics grade easily, but I think it's ugly. I'd much rather see a slab where that top label part is removed, and that info is somehow placed on the back of the slab.

CGC should at least experiment with a 'designer' slab. They could charge a $5-10 premium for the slab on newly graded comics, and offer a paid service to change out previously graded comics into new slabs. CGC would have a new revenue stream and people that wanted a nicer slab would be happy. For people that didn't care or like the designer slab, they could ignore it and things for them would remain exactly the same. Why wouldn't they try this?

I think the main idea for the design is so that the label does not obscure any part of the front or back cover, but is still "encased" so to remain "tamper resistant".

If you had the label inside the slab, but covering part of the back cover you'd wonder what was under the label... maybe a stain? or a chip? This way you see it all (at least the stuff visible from the outside).

Maybe they should just write the grade right on the book so we can get rid of the label all together! :jokealert:

They were experimenting with increasing the amount of information on their slabs years ago...didn't go well. I personally think we are at the nirvana of the current design--I love the re-design from the original as no one could read the cert number nor the other information from the old slab design, although I know it has its fans.

They were experimenting with increasing the amount of information on their slabs years ago...didn't go well.

If lack of space for information is the issue, why not institute the use of QR codes on the label? (read here for details). Or, create a proprietary bar code reader app to read the existing bar codes, and then render back a web page with mountains of data that could not fit on the label... these would be extremely simple to do from a technical implementation standpoint, I sometimes wonder who runs CGC's IT vision and if these are on their radar

They were experimenting with increasing the amount of information on their slabs years ago...didn't go well.

If lack of space for information is the issue, why not institute the use of QR codes on the label? (read here for details). Or, create a proprietary bar code reader app to read the existing bar codes, and then render back a web page with mountains of data that could not fit on the label... these would be extremely simple to do from a technical implementation standpoint, I sometimes wonder who runs CGC's IT vision and if these are on their radar

That's actually a good idea. I was thinking about that the other day. :hi:

Imagine taking a pic of the book with the phone and it takes you to the CGC collectors site with detail information about the book, with a link to purchase grader's notes...

:juggle:

I would love a label on the side so you can see the book and grade in a bookshelf.

That's an interesting idea. I don't have many slabs so I never thought of needing to do this; but, I have seen dealers with boxes of slabs and a label on the top with the issue and grade, if that top label comes standard could you peel it off and stick it on the side?

That's actually a good idea. I was thinking about that the other day. :hi:

Imagine taking a pic of the book with the phone and it takes you to the CGC collectors site with detail information about the book, with a link to purchase grader's notes...

:juggle:

yup, and if they wanted to go the pic route (instead of QR or barcodes), using simple augmented reality apps (like Google goggles), this stuff is really easy to do, all they need to do is tap into the existing database of grading data... oh wait, maybe that's the issue, lolhm

.. thing is, in 20 years time; your CGC slab will look like its got an old VHS sticker on it, as the QR code will be nothing but old tech by then (judging by how fast technology moves these days).

.. thing is, in 20 years time; your CGC slab will look like its got an old VHS sticker on it, as the QR code will be nothing but old tech by then (judging by how fast technology moves these days).

oh, agreed... but in 20 years, shouldn't you have "technically" had the slab replaced, based on CGC's guidelines? And in this same vein, isn't the existing barcode in the same situation, antiquated in 20 years?

There are many ways to use pervasive devices to augment the data on the label... from QR, to barcode, to image recognition software. I'm just suggesting using anything to help provide more info to us collectors.

The QR Code has been around for almost 20 years, I don't think it's going to be old tech in 20 more years, but it will not be in vogue as a way of driving and directing information.

That's true, but certain technologies/ideas stay around. QR Code seems like more of a marketing idea to me...maybe that would be a good idea for the back of the slab for those who don't know about CGC...the barcode on the slab should work for getting details.

Still, brainstorming doesn't hurt anyone...

oh, agreed... but in 20 years, shouldn't you have "technically" had the slab replaced, based on CGC's guidelines? And in this same vein, isn't the existing barcode in the same situation, antiquated in 20 years?

There are many ways to use pervasive devices to augment the data on the label... from QR, to barcode, to image recognition software. I'm just suggesting using anything to help provide more info to us collectors.

Good point! .. I hadn't thought of CGC's own guidelines :) Personally, I still think I wouldn't put any kind of tech on it .. Just more wordage to provide more info, like you pointed out.

I'd have to disagree. The current design makes it very easy at conventions to look at a dealer's wall and see if there's anything that I want to take a closer look at. It also makes surfing eBay easier, as I can usually see the grade on the label without even having to click on the item.

I'd have to disagree. The current design makes it very easy at conventions to look at a dealer's wall and see if there's anything that I want to take a closer look at. It also makes surfing eBay easier, as I can usually see the grade on the label without even having to click on the item.

+1