• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got great news from mycomicshop

54 posts in this topic

It does take two bidders to drive up a book....but keep in mind that auction houses are allowed to bid on their own products in Texas (I believe this is true).

We do not bid in our own auctions. All bids on that Avengers came from regular bidders, with everything above $1200 coming from two guys duking it out (bid history). I've contacted the underbidder on that auction to see if he's interested in making shadroch an offer for the CGC 4.0 after we get it back from CGC.

Because they're doing very well with their consignments right now? You should check out some of the prices they're selling books at, and people are buying.

Good for Lone Star. They've been much better than Mile High for raw books; glad to see they are breaking out the business model a bit.

It is awesome that they are doing that now with slabbing. After My last batch went through their grading process there were 2 or 3 books that I thought should be slabbed. When I asked if they could send them back so I could slab them my email was met with silence.

Cool to know that they can do it and manage it for you. How did they handle the grading fees?

My question is why would you send an avengers 1 to a bulk dealer like mycomicshop?

We're not exclusively a "bulk" low-dollar wide selection dealer. We started our consignment service a couple years ago, and over the past year we've made a push to start offering more expensive, high grade, and key books than in years past, through a combination of books coming in on consignment and our own purchasing activity. We're currently up to about $130K/month in consignment sales, compared to $20-30K this time a year ago. Not much compared to the big auction houses, but we're growing each month and get a steady trickle of people switching from other venues.

Some things I've heard from consignors that we're doing well:

- quick item turnaround: quick setup, quick sales (of course, depends on how the book is priced), and quick payment upon completion

- good prices realized compared to some disappointing experiences in other venues

- good outlet for selling raw comics, not just slabs

- transparency and record keeping--consignors can see the status of all their books on our web site throughout the consignment process

And as the new kid on the block, our commission rates are generally lower than the established services and lower than the eBay and PayPal fees if doing fixed price or auction on eBay: 10% on sales under $200 w/ a minimum of $5/item, 5% on sales $200-2000, and 2% over $2000. As time goes on, we're going to bump those 5% and 2% rates up a bit (in September they move to 7% and 4%), but my goal is to always be among the lowest-priced options.

My question is why would you send an avengers 1 to a bulk dealer like mycomicshop?

We're not exclusively a "bulk" low-dollar wide selection dealer. We started our consignment service a couple years ago, and over the past year we've made a push to start offering more expensive, high grade, and key books than in years past, through a combination of books coming in on consignment and our own purchasing activity. We're currently up to about $130K/month in consignment sales, compared to $20-30K this time a year ago. Not much compared to the big auction houses, but we're growing each month and get a steady trickle of people switching from other venues.

- quick item turnaround: quick setup, quick sales (of course, depends on how the book is priced), and quick payment upon completion

- good prices realized compared to some disappointing experiences in other venues

- transparency and record keeping--consignors can see the status of all their books on our web site throughout the consignment process

And as the new kid on the block, our commission rates are generally lower than the established services and lower than the eBay and PayPal fees if doing fixed price or auction on eBay: 10% on sales under $200 w/ a minimum of $5/item, 5% on sales $200-2000, and 2% over $2000. As time goes on, we're going to bump those 5% and 2% rates up a bit (in September they move to 7% and 4%), but my goal is to always be among the lowest-priced options.

:applause: , I've been meaning to shop with you guys for some time as you're selection is huge. I just hope you can ship comics correctly is all. Sound like a good business model for the consignments as well.

I have yet to buy or sell there, but I love your site layout and the way your want list works.

It is awesome that they are doing that now with slabbing. After My last batch went through their grading process there were 2 or 3 books that I thought should be slabbed. When I asked if they could send them back so I could slab them my email was met with silence.

Cool to know that they can do it and manage it for you. How did they handle the grading fees?

Trev, the lack of response on your email was most likely my fault--I apologize. A couple of months ago we brought in a new consignment director (Matt Griffin) to free me up to focus on other areas. Since Matt's been on board, all consignment-related inquiries should be getting fast responses, usually one business day or same day.

We can handle CGC submission for our consignors upon request, and we'll recommend slabbing to consignors when we get a raw book in that we think would benefit from slabbing. We can also send cracked or damaged slabs in to be recased ($15 each), and do large submissions, like sending in a couple hundred moderns for 9.8 prescreen service. We give consignors our full 20% dealer discount on the CGC grading fee. The discounted grading fee plus the cost of shipping to and from CGC is billed to your consignment account, so instead of you having to make a payment, the cost is deducted from our next payment to you as your books sell.

When I consign a $75 book to them, it is listed on their sites, plus on eBay and upon it being sold, I pay a single $7.50 fee. no listing fee, no insert fee, no paypal final value fee, and no hassle with shipping. Even a cheaper book- lets say $23- ends up costing only $5 with no other fees and again, no shipping hassles.

Their checks come on a regular basis- I've been paid for all but two books in the May auction, the check for another went out a few days ago, and one books buyer never checked out, so the book was relisted. I'm still waiting on payments from April auctions with other houses.

I don't know if any other auction house would have suggested the book would benefit from slabbing, nor do I think they would reached out to the underbidder.

Other than pedigree and Heritage, I've dealt with all the other consignments houses and MCS is going to get the bulk of my books for the forseeable future.

I'm very happy with them so far.

will have to check it out, thought shadoch was just sending in boxes to get rid of.

will have to check it out, thought shadoch was just sending in boxes to get rid of.

Nice way to double the exposure on your consignment item (mycomicshop.com AND eBay) and not have to pay the ebay/paypal fees.

:applause: , I've been meaning to shop with you guys for some time as you're selection is huge. I just hope you can ship comics correctly is all. Sound like a good business model for the consignments as well.

MCS has always had the best packing I have ever seen.

I had sent them a bunch of books on consignment and their new director of consignments Matt told me I should let him send out a copy of Avengers 1 to get it slabbed. I'd bought it off eBay awhile back and the seller called it a strong good.

The book was intact, but someone had scribbled two names in several places. I sent it in as a 3.0, prepared for MCS to call it a 2.0.

Just got the news that CGC gave it a 4.0 Universal label. That I did not not expect.

I'd thought it might bring $600. Now I think it will triple that, at a minimum.

:applause:

I've only bought from them once and it was fairly recently. Needed one latter day ASM Annual really bad to fill the only hole in my run so I bit the bullet and ordered a NM copy. It arrived promptly, packing was bomb-proof for a very low dollar book--and the book was actually Near Mint which, to me, was VERY refreshing. It communicated to me that they were serious and professional.