• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you bother responding to this?

82 posts in this topic

Tell him if he learns the difference between YOU'RE and YOUR, you might consider his offer.

That standard would cut your buyer pool in at least half. :grin:

Got this email through eBay today, regarding a restored book I have for sale. Personally, I think it's fairly rude and I am probably going to ignore it, but figured I would get some opinions first.

"since this book is restored , with the PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH , AS IT'S GRADING CARD , WHAT'S THE LOWEST PRICE YOUR WILLING TO GO ON THIS BOOK . keep in mind the purple label HURTS it's value and scares a lot of people away, THEY WON'T BUY IT , BECAUSE OF IT . --- maybe we can work out a price for it , if your willing to bring your price down to A FAIR value for a RESTORED COMIC ......."

......I try to ignore a person's obvious lack of social skills....after all, some people were raised in a sewer by a three legged wharf rat.....sometimes they just can't help it. I'd give 'em my lowest offer and stay concise and professional. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend 0of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. What book is it that this person with such disdain for -PLODs is nevertheless eager to obtain ?.....I might want it.

Agreed. Who cares if he has the social graces of a three legged toad? Just tell him what you'll accept, and see if he goes for it. Or ask for an offer maybe.

Got this email through eBay today, regarding a restored book I have for sale. Personally, I think it's fairly rude and I am probably going to ignore it, but figured I would get some opinions first.

"since this book is restored , with the PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH , AS IT'S GRADING CARD , WHAT'S THE LOWEST PRICE YOUR WILLING TO GO ON THIS BOOK . keep in mind the purple label HURTS it's value and scares a lot of people away, THEY WON'T BUY IT , BECAUSE OF IT . --- maybe we can work out a price for it , if your willing to bring your price down to A FAIR value for a RESTORED COMIC ......."

I have always (perhaps incorrectly) assumed the term PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH was a Board created term, used exclusively here on the Boards. Is the question asker a Boardie?

Can you please post the buyer so I can block him?

Also, I just ignore that kind of post. Or, if I'm feeling sassy, I flame back.

I don't mind lowball offers at all.....but I do mind having my ethics or "greed factor" questioned. I don't usually respond to aggressive reasoning. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. When I first started listing on eBay and Comiclink, if someone would lowball me, I'd often jack the price up by 25%....I suppose I was a bit full of myself back then.

Can you please post the buyer so I can block him?

Also, I just ignore that kind of post. Or, if I'm feeling sassy, I flame back.

I don't mind lowball offers at all.....but I do mind having my ethics or "greed factor" questioned. I don't usually respond to aggressive reasoning. GOD BLESS...

P.S. When I first started listing on eBay and Comiclink, if someone would lowball me, I'd often jack the price up by 25%....I suppose I was a bit full of myself back then.

The lowball offer I don't mind. Its the douchenozzle approach that chaps my .

Not sure if you said their name already, but why don't you out the person so we can all block them?

Don't need people like that wasting my time on my auctions

I would not respond.

I have always (perhaps incorrectly) assumed the term PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH was a Board created term, used exclusively here on the Boards. Is the question asker a Boardie?

I thought the same thing. We have our fair share of the socially unacceptable.

His request for a lower price wasn't that out of line....PLODs commonly go for 25-33% of FMV ......it's just his manner was boorish.....but then, it IS eBay. GOD BLESS...

I buy a LOT of PLODS, here and on the 'Bay.

Sometimes I get the deal done, most times not.

Every now and then, I Sell a PLOD or two. In the combination with my regular auctions, of course I get the low-ballers, EVERY auction batch. Sometimes the same eBayers repeatedly.

I am surprised at some of the responses to this thread, given that it depends on who is wearing which shoe metaphorically, but it seems to me that Customer Service is supposed to be a no-brainer to the minions of this Forum.

October is as sharp as they come, and in my mind is a top-tier all-things-comic-book person. I put him in the top twenty easily, and he was just looking for similar experiences, get some relevant info, and hoping for the best moving forward.

So I'll chime in here: the level of professionalism is a MUST, especially on eBay. Any speck of anything negative can and will be held against you. And now they can do it through your DSR's the most unfair device known to eBay sellers all around the globe.

The negatives are one thing, you can see them and figure everything you said/did not say. But the DSR's is where they can cost you moolah.

Customer Relations? Most of the Inquirers are NOT going to buy from you every two weeks, or whatever your selling cycles are. But you never know when s/he is going to get a bonus, or sold a car, and now has the money to buy from you. MUST be encouraging, never negative.

Some Inquirers are not that sharp; they seem to be unable to read the auction details, and ask the dumbest questions. SOME of this is to see what YOUR response is going to be. I have been known to do this myself. If they are jackazzez, I make a note of this. I might need that Howard the Duck to finish my run, and will make the deal, but will look to all other Sellers first before I spend Cal-coins with him/her again.

Don't be lulled to sleep at your desk. There may be someone on that keyboard just as sharp as you, and it is a spy vs. spy interaction. Hopefully you will respond professionally, such as: " I see what your reasoning for your valuation of this PLOD is, however, the recent GPA/OSG has this Issue at $975 Universal, and my PLOD price is reasonably adjusted based on current Market conditions" or something close to this. I personally do not deal with ST at all, have sold probably less than 10 my whole life( excluding bulk sales), so would have to look up this particular issue. But yes, I get lowballers all the time, especially for my beloved IMSM's more than my ASMs.

Hope this helps.

CAL the occasional Seller on the 'Bay

I included the make an offer function.

It's gotten pretty hot since the movie, so I figured I would throw it on eBay with a higher than normal price.

Link

Just point out to him the make an offer function... (shrug)

Could be a non-posting lurker. hm

I buy a LOT of PLODS, here and on the 'Bay.

Sometimes I get the deal done, most times not.

Every now and then, I Sell a PLOD or two. In the combination with my regular auctions, of course I get the low-ballers, EVERY auction batch. Sometimes the same eBayers repeatedly.

I am surprised at some of the responses to this thread, given that it depends on who is wearing which shoe metaphorically, but it seems to me that Customer Service is supposed to be a no-brainer to the minions of this Forum.

October is as sharp as they come, and in my mind is a top-tier all-things-comic-book person. I put him in the top twenty easily, and he was just looking for similar experiences, get some relevant info, and hoping for the best moving forward.

So I'll chime in here: the level of professionalism is a MUST, especially on eBay. Any speck of anything negative can and will be held against you. And now they can do it through your DSR's the most unfair device known to eBay sellers all around the globe.

The negatives are one thing, you can see them and figure everything you said/did not say. But the DSR's is where they can cost you moolah.

Customer Relations? Most of the Inquirers are NOT going to buy from you every two weeks, or whatever your selling cycles are. But you never know when s/he is going to get a bonus, or sold a car, and now has the money to buy from you. MUST be encouraging, never negative.

Some Inquirers are not that sharp; they seem to be unable to read the auction details, and ask the dumbest questions. SOME of this is to see what YOUR response is going to be. I have been known to do this myself. If they are jackazzez, I make a note of this. I might need that Howard the Duck to finish my run, and will make the deal, but will look to all other Sellers first before I spend Cal-coins with him/her again.

Don't be lulled to sleep at your desk. There may be someone on that keyboard just as sharp as you, and it is a spy vs. spy interaction. Hopefully you will respond professionally, such as: " I see what your reasoning for your valuation of this PLOD is, however, the recent GPA/OSG has this Issue at $975 Universal, and my PLOD price is reasonably adjusted based on current Market conditions" or something close to this. I personally do not deal with ST at all, have sold probably less than 10 my whole life( excluding bulk sales), so would have to look up this particular issue. But yes, I get lowballers all the time, especially for my beloved IMSM's more than my ASMs.

Hope this helps.

CAL the occasional Seller on the 'Bay

Cal now book marked as favorite ebay seller. Excellent Customer service skills.

Cal, this is very helpful. I like the casual tone. I've read a few ebay guides that are written like college papers - very dry. If you've written any ebay guides, I should look them up.

That reminds me of a watch box I had for sale. I bought it and it arrived with a small chip in the bottom right corner. When I contacted the seller he just sent me another one. So I figured I would sell the chipped one at a steep discount. I asked $20 for it. It was pretty nice and the chip was small. I got an e-mail saying something along the lines of "WATS THE LOWEST U WIL GO ON THAT BUSTED WATCH BOX"

I didn't bother replying.

Whenever somebody begins a negotiation with, "What's the lowest price you're willing to go?", that's always a good cue to state an outlandishly high amount.

Or better yet, you could respond with, "What's the highest price you're willing to go?"

Cave.

Tell him he can name his price + free insured signature delivery shipping anywhere.

COME ON Andy, I was just ASKING A QUESTION . you didnt have to be SO RUDE .

MUSCLESHARK?? :D