• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redhook Opens His Mini-Vault ...... please offer your grades.

77 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I thought I would post a few of my best raw books and get your opinions on them. I'll see if I can get a couple up per day. I'll start with these two FFs. Been in my collection for about 22 years. The first is a sharp FF22, white pages ( I know white pages ), edges are pretty good, the back is very clean and yes, I know there is a date stamp right on Reed's kisser, but it's not a Green River, and I love it anyway. These are books I love. But be tough in your grading.

Thanks, Red

ff18.jpg

Here is the second book of the day,....I'll try to do one more to make it three. The colors are great on this one, lots of gloss. Tight book. Blacks are pretty impressive I think.

ff37.jpg

That's a 22, not a 18. smirk.gif

Looks 9.4/9.6 from the front, but a few dings on the back spine area will probably lower it to 9.2.

AWESOME BOOK! thumbsup2.gif

Since I've got bunch going up here, could you please refer to which book you are giving the grade? Thanks. This is very helpful.

I think I saved the best for last today. The dings at the bottom left of the front cover and a little color flake of Thor's cape are the only things that I think probably prevent this one from heading towards the top of the census. The surface of the book is Sid's Luncheonette fresh. 27_laughing.gif Pages white.

thor126.jpg

The #22 has

1)the ding at the top right corner

2) very faint creasing on Mr. Fantastic's shoulder and arm

3) and clearly some spine stress on the back cover

4) and a few very light spine stresses on the front cover

so 8.5 to 9.0 seems about correct.

Great book!!!!

all Very Nice looking books. thumbsup2.gif i think the FF#37 and thor 126 are in the 9.2 or better range and the FF #22 probably around 8.5.

while Aces wants to compare that latter book to my 3 GL's, i'd say that the back cover with multiple spine stresses in the tanning (discolored) portion of the spine are pretty visible and keep the book from grading higher. the BC's of the GL's were pretty perfect like your Thor. i agree that the front is very nice and could have pulled a 9.2 if the BC matched.

good luck when getting them slabbed some day 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thor 126

8.5 due to the bottom spine area.

That's a serious color breaking crease...

sorry.gif

good catch, that's about an inch long crease along the bottom left edge. i think 8.5's about right........still a beautiful book, but they're gonna catch that frown.gif

It funny to think that until I got really acqainted with true high grade here on this site, I thought these were probably "as good as it gets" level books. 27_laughing.gif

First off.. NICE FREAKIN BOOKS Red!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As stated above.. I think the back cover of the #22 keeps it from being a true HG and would not be surprised if they knocked it down to a 8.0...but since the back cover creases dont translate to the front..also.. do the reading wear breaks on outer edge... go thru to inside edge of cover?, do they appear to break or crease the cover when viewed from the inside?

I still think the #22 is a very solid ..... 8.5 ....

9.0 if the back cover does not take off that much from grade

The #37 is among my Fave F.F. covers.. really nice blacks.. and color on this one.. corners are awesome too. A Pedigree worthy loking issue..

But I think 9.4 is going to high with the spine creases it has.. and is that a tiny color break crease in lrc?

Here is the spine of #37 with gamma and saturation dialed up..

ff37spine.JPG

I think giving the #37 a 9.0 a tad too conservative, it is a great book.. with great eye appeal ... so 9.2 is most likely what it might bring.

And the Thor #126 .. that darn LLC area is keeping this from real greatness..

Still a solid 8.5............ 9.0 if color break on bottom is not as bad as it appears..

All very, very nice books.. and I agree with you .. 10 years ago I would have looked at these comics in a much different light..

..( insert Darth Vader breathing noises)

CGC has taught you well young.. Redhook.