• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redhook Opens His Mini-Vault ...... please offer your grades.

77 posts in this topic

The scans are a little small. Can you make them bigger and put a background sheet of colored paper behind them so that we can see the edges better? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I would be thrilled with those grades....ucla......since these books have been in my collection for so long. And thanks Zeman for your very concise evaluation. Man, you are getting good at this! 27_laughing.gif

Here is one more to end today.

I just love the cover. The colors on this are Super bright, but it's got enough other little nagging things to pull it down. I still love it. Super page quality. More tomorrow.

tos63.jpg

The scans are a little small. Can you make them bigger and put a background sheet of colored paper behind them so that we can see the edges better? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There's one in every thread! 27_laughing.gif

WWHD? (What Would Hammer Do?) 27_laughing.gif

I was just going to say that scans another couple hundred pixels larger would be terrific.

Also, photoshopping in a perfectly straight shadow accross the top would help too. stooges.gif

Another nice one.. but with the spine wear and chippys miissing off top edge and outside edge are too plentiful for a HG.... but the back cover looks fantastic!

Sooo...

6.5?

perhaps

My ASM #17 came back with a Blue 7.0.. and it had less spine wear.. soo I dunno

But your TOS is a really solid looking book.. really flat.. and still crisp looking.

But I am a Kirby/Captain freak...so I might be blinded by the dazzling red inks

Z

There's one in every thread! 27_laughing.gif

Sorry Brad. They look like sweet books. I just can't see the fine details well enough to have an opinion on the grade. frown.gif

Okay, I was afraid of taking up too much of everyone's screen turf. When I post tomorrow I'll pump up the next set 25% bigger! acclaim.gif

If you want another opinion on the ones you posted already, you could send them to me in a PM. If not, then no worries, I'll just watch for the books tomorrow! (But I'd love to see big scans of the beauties you have already put up.) 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Okay, I was afraid of taking up too much of everyone's screen turf. When I post tomorrow I'll pump up the next set 25% bigger! acclaim.gif

There are two major steps in grading a comic:

1. [*]Defect identification (including defects types, locations, and severities)[*]Grade assignment to identified set of defects

These grading threads should never rely upon the viewer identifying defects based upon a scan. To do this is to not truly care whether the other forum members actually assign accurate grades. You can never see as many defects in a scan as you can when tilting a comic at different angles under a bright, fluorescent light. A large scan should only be included to help the grader put the described defects into visual perspective and should never be the sole evidence to conclude grade. To do this is about as precise and resolute as the sensation would be when having sex by using a wool mitten as a condom. blush.gif

I only assign grades to threads which include detailed defect inventory lists. Rarely do I see this anymore around here, which is most of the reason I've given up on these types of threads. crazy.gif Given an accurate defect inventory, I could tell you what CGC would give it within 1 notch with a high degree of consistency.

There are two major steps in grading a comic:

1. [*]Defect identification (including defects types, locations, and severities)[*]Grade assignment to identified set of defects

These grading threads should never rely upon the viewer identifying defects based upon a scan. To do this is to not truly care whether the other forum members actually assign accurate grades. You can never see as many defects in a scan as you can when tilting a comic at different angles under a bright, fluorescent light. A large scan should only be included to help the grader put the described defects into visual perspective and should never be the sole evidence to conclude grade. To do this is about as precise and resolute as the sensation would be when having sex by using a wool mitten as a condom. blush.gif

I only assign grades to threads which include detailed defect inventory lists. Rarely do I see this anymore around here, which is most of the reason I've given up on these types of threads. crazy.gif Given an accurate defect inventory, I could tell you what CGC would give it within 1 notch with a high degree of consistency.

FF,

You hit that one out of the park. Thank you for the fine, articulate statement. 893applaud-thumb.gif (now where did I put that damn wool mitten?!? shocked.gif

lol.. F.F. all you had to do was ask Red for a detailed list of defects before you could pass along your thoughts, as it is had to judge/grade from just a scan alone

No need really for your long description of "The 2 major Steps in Grading"

But thnx for the lesson.. and you are right in your statment.

Just seemed a bit overkill.

Z

FF 22:

Front Cover:

Chip UR corner.

Slight top & bottom staple stress.

Reed's right shoulder has a vertical crease( very hard to see).

Colors and brightness are superior. I can tell this has been a well-taken care of comic.

Back Cover: the weakness of this fine comic book.

Slight General scuffing and storage wear alnong the spine area(s);

few visible creases along center spine area;

looks like a small water stain by the top staple. Very hard to see but I find these more than I care to admit.

All in all a nice comic book. My final grade for this comic book: VF 7.5.

CAL 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Here is the second book of the day,....I'll try to do one more to make it three. The colors are great on this one, lots of gloss. Tight book. Blacks are pretty impressive I think

FF 37:

Front Cover:

Bottom staple stress, but slight.

Back Cover:

Slightest miswrap at top of comic book.

Final Grade: NM 9.4. Superior comic book here and the cover colors make this one hard to get in high grade. One disclaimer here: I would not be suprised if CGC gave this comic book the NM- 9.2, but I just cannot see it getting any grade lower than the NM- 9.2.

think I saved the best for last today. The dings at the bottom left of the front cover and a little color flake of Thor's cape are the only things that I think probably prevent this one from heading towards the top of the census.

THOR 126:

Front Cover:

Yes, the color fleck on Thor's cape is easily seen, but this is a slight minute defect - not a whole grade demotion here.

Unsure of the top staple - might be something there, might not.

Lower left corner - very bottom - horizontal crease - breaks color on Thor's boot.

Back cover:

Just about perfect.

Final Grade: NM- 9.2.

Here is one more to end today.

I just love the cover. The colors on this are Super bright, but it's got enough other little nagging things to pull it down. I still love it. Super page quality. More tomorrow

TOS 63:

Front cover:

Very top of cover - right side - 2 definite dings and a smaller one just left of the center of cover;

3 chips off the right side of cover - center/lower center;

2 spine creases, minor but visible;

Back Cover:

staples off-center;

bottom staple stress - bindery defect but very minor; some at top staple but not as much as the bottom staple - it gives the appearance of the comic book may not lay completely flat but it is very close to completely flat.

slightest miswrap of cover;

Final Grade:

VF+ 8.0

Disclaimer: I just cannot see this comic getting any grade lower than VF 7.5.