• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

It's not even close to $10 profit if you sell a book for $50 on ebay.

$16.2 Cgc fee(10%): not all of us have the dealer discount of 20%

$5 handling fee

$10 return shipping: for 1 book. You need to submit 50+ book to get avg of $3/book.

$3+ shipping cost to cgc, media/first class mail

$6.25 ebay & papal fee

$3 book cost

$43.45 for 1 book cost that not fast track.

I rather sell it raw for the less hassle. Only worth the time if Cgc book sell for $70+. $7 profit for 3 months waiting and your money tie up ($43.45 initial cost), not worth at all. This also has not included the fee that ebay & paypal charge you for the shipping you charge the buyer.

This means that you have to submit at least 2 books to worth your time. Assume all book graded 9.8, if any failed then you cut in your profit. This is standard modern submission, anything can happen, price go up or down. Fast track is even worse, -$9/book. For 3 books, you make $24 profit. Selling raw, you make over $15 profit for 3 books.

Although quite a bit of your math is overstated you're correct with the premise of submitting a single book to sell is not worth the time with a $50 sale price. The average cost changes considerably with submitting as few as 10 books and doing some research. (thumbs u

Then correct the math? doh!:foryou:

The point here is I think you must be very careful in submitting books single vs mass amounts unless you have income to waste, tie up, or just plain do it for fun. Single books just arent worth the risk unless you screen first as others have stated. The profit just isnt there for the risk time involved unless you got something really rare or you hit the grail of 9.9 or 10.0.

There is a big distinction here for guys at home submitting books vs guys submitting at shows, going to shows, or have friends/partners that will submit for them. Its just how it is. Accept it, move on or network and do it yourself. There are several on here that have that advantage and I dont slight them for it they are willing to put in the time to do it right. They mount a nice secondary or primary income from it so they have no advantage to really tell you much. I have learned quite a bit from a few of them. (thumbs u

The only other thing that wont be mentioned on here are their misses. Occasionally you will see them in the sales threads as they blow out books, but for the most part you only hear about their triumphs. There are only a few on here with accounting/business backgrounds or just plain smart enough to watch their costs invest wisely and not make mistakes in grading that can cost you your profit.

I think some on here make it look too easy to do what they do well and are almost non chalant about it.(Just my 2c there) Its not easy and requires networking and yes working looking thru books. If more time telling/warning some of these new users and potential competition that it isnt that easy they might lessen their competition at the same time. Because I see boxes of 9.0s/9.2s/9.4s that I can gurantee someone else thought it was a 9.8 when it was submitted.

Edited by Fastballspecial

The math was close enough to prove his point. There was no need to correct it.

I offer advice and answer any questions that come my way. I really can't do more than that for anyone looking to make a few bucks. I recommended selling Revival slabs when they were up over $100 and was accused of trying to influence some to dump so I could buy. :screwy:

I don't know if I appear non chalant. I have never had anyone describe me that way. I'm smug....definitely. I do believe what I do is easy and there are no smoke and mirrors. I also do have an accounting background so maybe some of what I discuss I find 2nd nature.

Assuming any of that was directed towards me. lol

I offer advice and answer any questions that come my way. I really can't do more than that for anyone looking to make a few bucks. I recommended selling Revival slabs when they were up over $100 and was accused of trying to influence some to dump so I could buy. :screwy:

I don't know if I appear non chalant. I have never had anyone describe me that way. I'm smug....definitely. I do believe what I do is easy and there are no smoke and mirrors. I also do have an accounting background so maybe some of what I discuss I find 2nd nature.

Always stirring the pot you.

It was just a generalization except that first part sentence. I actually had smug in there and took it out and inserted non chalant because I thought it sounded better.

There are some obvious and not so obvious some attempts at manipulation here,(I think you have mentioned that point before too.) but I would have thought it was more long the lines of "Man this is a cool book, check it out and buy it. Tough to find and high grade hard to find".(When that person has like 10 slabbed copies.) Thats the type of stuff that is blatantly obvious and irritating.

In saying all that let me state I own very little slabs (like 4) and have no vested interest in that part of the comic hobby.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Funny word 'manipulation'.

I reckon that there are 3 main forms of help on here:

1) Manipulation by wankers:

Damn - comic xyz is crashing and burning - sell while you can!!

Said harbinger of doom then hoovers up 20 cgc copies at 40% off. Thats bad dudes.

2)Spruiking:

Guilty as charged here - I have shamelessly hoiked Bedlam about for 3 months now.And yes I had my books ordered from day 1. But it was promoting something that was good, and I think everyone who has grabbed a few copies will do well.

3) Genuine 'heads-up':

I do this.So do others. Its just helping out. Its no secret that I have suggested:

Nazi Zombies and The Last Zombie - good story,great art and ultra low print runs.And none on census at 9.8

Powers new--script.

The two new in-production Zombies vs Robots movies - someone must have listened as hardly any copies out there - if any.Low print run.

Scalped - last 9.8 sold for well over $250.

Red Star - movie still on the cards.

This is done as a heads up to others and to help us all.

Others have pointed out the $40 Revival (?) 9.8 variant (I think it was revival).

So what is manipulation in the modern market?

Seems to me that unless you are in the first category,its a win-win for everyone.

Kinda like not dumping 50 cgc 9.8 of the same book on ebay at one go!

Lets all just get along... :foryou:

Oh and there probably isn't much point to this post.

My question is, if you think the 9.8's are over priced what would you be willing to pay for one of the (4) 9.9's first prints? Out of all those graded 9.8's only (4) have graded 9.9. $200? $300? More?

Just to throw in some math on that, since I watch the 9.9s of a lot of books for my other thread:

From the Census

4x 9.9s

to

127x 9.8s

is a ratio of 9.8s to 9.9s of 3.15% (more than walking dead, 2.30%, and way less that chew @ 13.52%)

However, only 0.78%, or less than 1% of revival #1s print run has been slabbed and listed on the census, something to keep in mind.