• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

I'm with Larry, I don't think 9.8s are rare if you are willing to get your books professionally pressed though. Diamond does send mangled comics, but if you cherry pick nice copies and get them pressed, you routinely secure 9.8s.

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

Like most of us here I suspect that for really HOT books that $27.50 isn't worth the effort.

Later on hopefully they will be around the $100 mark if the story holds up and the TV rumours continue.

Blimey Shmidtty you must have been waiting to put that together for ages!

Nice work there. (thumbs u

Your suspicion is incorrect. (thumbs u

But they aren't $3 books.

Add - shipping,possible press,grading and encapsulation (especially if paying full whack) and return shipping from CGC *shudder* and theres no profit in that sale,or certainly not enough to do it all again.

But I take your gist that for a very new book, the interest is very healthy and bodes for a long term future should the story remain strong, and rumours are true. (thumbs u

Because doubling your money is not a good thing? lol

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

Like most of us here I suspect that for really HOT books that $27.50 isn't worth the effort.

Later on hopefully they will be around the $100 mark if the story holds up and the TV rumours continue.

If you don't have a job,then I guess $28 means the world.

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

You don't guess very well either. How much do you make an hour?

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

Not quite $28 an hour. :slapfight:

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

Me?

more than that Jeff.

Whats my hourly rate got to do with it? I was on about someone not having a job and $28 being worth more to them than someone employed.

I don't see what my pay rate has to do with it.

Edited by Andy70

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

Me?

more than that Jeff.

Whats my hourly rate got to do with it? I was on about someone not having a job and $28 being worth more to them than someone employed.

I don't see what my pay rate has to do with it.

You made a statement that $28 is only meaningful if you don't have a job. If you make more money selling comics with a profit of $28 then how is the job better? Comic shops are based on volume and sell for profits considerably less. Should they close shop and go get a job?

You've missed the point on this from the beginning while your potential profit margin shrinks. No worries, most do miss the point and many love being employees. (thumbs u

To each their own. :popcorn:

Every little helps, surely (shrug)

Doubling your money is never a bad thing and unless you're absolutely certain to get more in the future, then why would you not settle for double your money?

The comic book market Is so volatile, what you think may be worth a $100, could easily end up a $20 book.

CGC $14.50

Postage $5 per copy max

Book $3

Total $22.50.

Sold for $50

Profit = $27.50.

My point was that previously you were "chill, little people - who cares?" and now it's "ouch! ouch!" :doh:

How would you have received any copies of Revival #1 back from CGC if they hadn't been fast-tracked? And where are the ebay & paypal fees in your little calculation above?

>>am i the only one that thinks 9.8 is what 2012 produced books should grade at, at a minimum.<<

Have you ever opened a factory sealed case of comics?

9.8 is a rarity indeed, in most cases.

no, i never have.

But i have 9.8's that "look like" 9.6's and vice-versa

i also see a company pre-selling a whole lotta Bedlam #1's at $39.99 a piece. no way they are going to offer them at that price if there is any shot of them taking a loss on them.

>>am i the only one that thinks 9.8 is what 2012 produced books should grade at, at a minimum.<<

no, i never have.

i also see a company pre-selling a whole lotta Bedlam #1's at $39.99 a piece. no way they are going to offer them at that price if there is any shot of them taking a loss on them.

CGC has a pre-screen service for situations exactly like this :gossip:

It's not even close to $10 profit if you sell a book for $50 on ebay.

$16.2 Cgc fee(10%): not all of us have the dealer discount of 20%

$5 handling fee

$10 return shipping: for 1 book. You need to submit 50+ book to get avg of $3/book.

$3+ shipping cost to cgc, media/first class mail

$6.25 ebay & papal fee

$3 book cost

$43.45 for 1 book cost that not fast track.

I rather sell it raw for the less hassle. Only worth the time if Cgc book sell for $70+. $7 profit for 3 months waiting and your money tie up ($43.45 initial cost), not worth at all. This also has not included the fee that ebay & paypal charge you for the shipping you charge the buyer.

This means that you have to submit at least 2 books to worth your time. Assume all book graded 9.8, if any failed then you cut in your profit. This is standard modern submission, anything can happen, price go up or down. Fast track is even worse, -$9/book. For 3 books, you make $24 profit. Selling raw, you make over $15 profit for 3 books.

no, i never have.

Dealer discount, bulk submission, and prescreen give those company advantage over single seller, and it is no selling fee for them. They still make $10+ per book even for fast track service.

Revival may have 280 pages of nonsense but it's ebay prices are lame ... $90 for the 1:10 variant in 9.8 yikes!

Isnt 100 pages of those 280 people arguing back and forth about the prices being headed to where they now are?

I think all moderns without an official tv/movie rumor are going to be limited in price terms. Obviously the first to market with high grade books will make lots, but for prices to ever pass those levels, its gotta have a growth driver.

Even the 1:10 would have a print run of nearly 2000. That $90 opening bid one you mentioned is actually a third listing. He failed at $115, and $100 already. (you can see them in incomplete sales).

$5 handling fee

$10 return shipping: for 1 book. You need to submit 50+ book to get avg of $3/book.

$6.25 ebay & papal fee

$3 book cost

I rather sell it raw for the less hassle. Only worth the time if Cgc book sell for $70+. $7 profit for 3 months waiting and your money tie up ($43.45 initial cost), not worth at all. This also has not included the fee that ebay & paypal charge you for the shipping you charge the buyer.

This means that you have to submit at least 2 books to worth your time. Assume all book graded 9.8, if any failed then you cut in your profit. This is standard modern submission, anything can happen, price go up or down. Fast track is even worse, -$9/book. For 3 books, you make $24 profit. Selling raw, you make over $15 profit for 3 books.

Although quite a bit of your math is overstated you're correct with the premise of submitting a single book to sell is not worth the time with a $50 sale price. The average cost changes considerably with submitting as few as 10 books and doing some research. (thumbs u

$5 handling fee

$6.25 ebay & papal fee

$3 book cost

Although quite a bit of your math is overstated you're correct with the premise of submitting a single book to sell is not worth the time with a $50 sale price. The average cost changes considerably with submitting as few as 10 books and doing some research. (thumbs u

I'll play - let's use "close-to-exact" numbers for a 30 book modern submission with a value of $100 pr. book where you need them back fast.

$240 -- Book cost, at $3/book, with a 20% pull-list discount from your LCS

$40 -- Shipping to CGC, includes $3000 worth of insurance

$432 -- CGC submission fee, with a 20% dealer discount

$240 -- CGC fast-track fee, with a 20% dealer discount

$5 -- CGC invoice fee

$59 -- CGC return shipping fee

$17.45 -- CGC return shipping insurance fee

The cost comes out to:

$34.45/book

You put the books on ebay, a standard $0.99 auction with no bells & whistles. They sell for $50 each with a $8 shipping charge (which, in this example, is your exact postage cost). There's no insertion fee, but the final value fee is $5.22 and Paypal takes another $1.98.

Profit:

$8.35/book

If you take out the fast-track fee, the cost pr. book drops to $26.45 and the profit pr. book goes up to $16.35.

if you're only getting a 10% discount from CGC (and not 20%), the cost pr. book goes up to $37.25 (fast-tracked) or $28.25 (non-fast-tracked) and the profit pr. book drops to $5.55 (fast-tracked) or $14.55 (non-fast-tracked).