• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

Are you saying the emperor has no clothes?

I have no idea what this means.

The market was in dire need of correction and in the long term a correction is a good thing.

Yes you are correct here.

The only thing that creates long term value in a comic are collectors.

I would agree.

The books that are collected will maintain their value long term.

Sure.

The books that came out recently that have a collector base are not cooling off, they are holding steady or rising.

On this point I would have to say I disagree with you. The books that have recently come out within the last few months/year(s), in regards to moderns, I do not see them increasing or holding steady at this point in time. Granted some are and some are doing very well, there are some books out there that are not doing as well as they once have. These titles still have fan bases and are still being collected but their prices have either dropped, or are coming down. Some comics that I am referring to are, Nowhere men - pretty sure they have seen a drop in overall secondary market pricing ( Wether its due to the delay in book 5 or the influx of many variants or the current time, I think all play a part) Revival, I believe has seen a drop in prices from what it was once pulling. Chew has seen a recent drop in prices as well. The extremely recent image books are not currently on the rise either.

I can be wrong though and am open to your opinion and in fact welcome it, what books are you referring to that are currently experiencing a rise?

The thing that has changed is that speculators are gunshy and are not able to sell to other speculators right now.

Probably

The Emperor's New Clothes is a Danish fairy tale written by Hans Christian Andersen and first published in 1837.

The expressions The Emperor's new clothes and The Emperor has no clothes are often used with allusion to Andersen's tale. Most frequently, the metaphor involves a situation wherein the overwhelming (usually unempowered) majority of observers willingly share in a collective ignorance of an obvious fact, despite individually recognising the absurdity. A similar twentieth-century metaphor is the Elephant in the room.

"The Emperor Wears No Clothes" or "The Emperor Has No Clothes" is often used in political and social contexts for any obvious truth denied by the majority despite the evidence of their eyes.

:foryou:

The Emperor's New Clothes is a Danish fairy tale written by Hans Christian Andersen and first published in 1837.

The expressions The Emperor's new clothes and The Emperor has no clothes are often used with allusion to Andersen's tale. Most frequently, the metaphor involves a situation wherein the overwhelming (usually unempowered) majority of observers willingly share in a collective ignorance of an obvious fact, despite individually recognising the absurdity. A similar twentieth-century metaphor is the Elephant in the room.

"The Emperor Wears No Clothes" or "The Emperor Has No Clothes" is often used in political and social contexts for any obvious truth denied by the majority despite the evidence of their eyes.

:foryou:

my man

Still a great read!

But have you seen the market?

Last sales for a Blue 9.8

$38

$35

$34

What on Earth is going on with Revival as far as the secondary market goes?

Insanely low prices (I have no dog in this race - sold out all my #1's months ago) - any reason? There is no glut as far as I can see.

it's not Revival, it's everything printed in 2012/2013. I agree with the others, full on correction across the board, long over due.

As for Revival, this had been my favourite Image book for a while. I wrote a review of 1 last fall, and mentioned the author tends to use a lot of cliche's in building his characters. The story and story telling has been superb, but the character development, and the characters in general, are weak.

Using cliches is a sign of poor writing, because it becomes a crutch by which creativity is not required. The story had been so strong that I was tolerating and ignoring the weak character development. (Contrast this with Rachel Rising, where the character development is outstanding).

However, Revival is starting to lose me and I am no longer grabbing it first from my pull list. The story has slowed, and the EXTREME politicization of the cliched characters is becoming almost too much to bear. Can't touch political debate on these forums, and when you read comics it pretty much comes with the territory that there is going to be a certain slant.

But revival has become so over the top silly in its fallacious cliche's, that it's losing me altogether.

The market was in dire need of correction and in the long term a correction is a good thing.

I would agree.

Sure.

The books that came out recently that have a collector base are not cooling off, they are holding steady or rising.

On this point I would have to say I disagree with you. The books that have recently come out within the last few months/year(s), in regards to moderns, I do not see them increasing or holding steady at this point in time. Granted some are and some are doing very well, there are some books out there that are not doing as well as they once have. These titles still have fan bases and are still being collected but their prices have either dropped, or are coming down. Some comics that I am referring to are, Nowhere men - pretty sure they have seen a drop in overall secondary market pricing ( Wether its due to the delay in book 5 or the influx of many variants or the current time, I think all play a part) Revival, I believe has seen a drop in prices from what it was once pulling. Chew has seen a recent drop in prices as well. The extremely recent image books are not currently on the rise either.

I can be wrong though and am open to your opinion and in fact welcome it, what books are you referring to that are currently experiencing a rise?

The thing that has changed is that speculators are gunshy and are not able to sell to other speculators right now.

Probably

It's hard to convey tone in writing but I was actually agreeing with you. As to what books are weathering the storm, I was thinking of Rachel Rising, Manhattan Projects, Saga and Peter Panzerfaust. They have all dipped a bit since their peaks but they have not completely fallen off the cliff. PP and RR still have some support from potential TV shows but MP is just plain awesome and is building a solid fan base. Saga is down too but it still has a fan base that is keeping it from falling to the floor. The books that built up too fast didn't have time to build a fan base proportionate to the initial speculator demand and are falling fast, but there are still some gems out there.

I would agree.

Sure.

Probably

It's hard to convey tone in writing but I was actually agreeing with you. As to what books are weathering the storm, I was thinking of Rachel Rising, Manhattan Projects, Saga and Peter Panzerfaust. They have all dipped a bit since their peaks but they have not completely fallen off the cliff. PP and RR still have some support from potential TV shows but MP is just plain awesome and is building a solid fan base. Saga is down too but it still has a fan base that is keeping it from falling to the floor. The books that built up too fast didn't have time to build a fan base proportionate to the initial speculator demand and are falling fast, but there are still some gems out there.

Good points man (thumbs u

The story has slowed, and the EXTREME politicization of the cliched characters is becoming almost too much to bear. Can't touch political debate on these forums, and when you read comics it pretty much comes with the territory that there is going to be a certain slant.

But revival has become so over the top silly in its fallacious cliche's, that it's losing me altogether.

I'm fairly certain we sit at the opposite ends of the spectrum on a few issues, CBT, but I have noticed this as well. I've been hesitant to recommend the book to my best friend (odd couple, I know) because he gets worked up pretty easily over this type of cliched portrayal.

It'll be interesting to see how much it remains a part of the story moving forward. A good story should make its point without having to slap the reader in the face to remind you at every turn where the writer stands. IMO

Edited by awakeintheashes

Raw 1s are selling fine at $20-30 per copy. Sets are down currently from what I can see. Slabs are not moving currently well although selling auction style is always a risk. Some people got great deals.

People like to read this book. Slabs and raw sales sometimes dont go hand and hand. This might be one of those times.

So, about the story... :whistle:

Don't you get the feeling that the revival "outbreak" will eventually completely spill out into the world and outside of Rothschild?! hm I mean, the Check brothers selling "miracle meat" around the world and the slow change in the Revivers...maybe their bodies are fine and stronger but their brains are starting to make them :insane: Maybe that would explain the "bleeding" from the eyes instead of tears?

And when the "miracle meat" finds it way into new bodies, it'll spread like a disease.

That coupled with

the scene at the end of #11 with Anders on a bus...?

So, I would guess that the small contained incident will soon take a larger stage? Thoughts?

:gossip: I just wanted to :baiting: this thread back to an actual discussion on Revival and not just $...

So, about the story... :whistle:

Don't you get the feeling that the revival "outbreak" will eventually completely spill out into the world and outside of Rothschild?! hm I mean, the Check brothers selling "miracle meat" around the world and the slow change in the Revivers...maybe their bodies are fine and stronger but their brains are starting to make them :insane: Maybe that would explain the "bleeding" from the eyes instead of tears?

And when the "miracle meat" finds it way into new bodies, it'll spread like a disease.

That coupled with

the scene at the end of #11 with Anders on a bus...?

So, I would guess that the small contained incident will soon take a larger stage? Thoughts?

:gossip: I just wanted to :baiting: this thread back to an actual discussion on Revival and not just $...

Finally! :applause:

Just in case any of you guys wanted to know about the french series "The Returned" which has people who died come back to life like normal. I've seen the first two episodes and...

It's completely different to Revival story wise, the main and almost only similarity is that the people come back exactly the same as they were before, but firstly the people who come back have been dead for up to 10 years so have had funerals and everything and their loved ones have had some sort of closure (as opposed to revival where they died during a certain time period) and secondly this almost solely focuses on the reviver, and the impact they have on the family returning after so many years and messing up whatever closure they had

HS your thoughts on where the story may go mirror my thoughts. I really feel this book is just starting to get going. I look forward to every issue and is one of three books I can't wait to read.

HS your thoughts on where the story may go mirror my thoughts. I really feel this book is just starting to get going. I look forward to every issue and is one of three books I can't wait to read.

+1 although I don't have a copy of number 11 yet :o

+1 although I don't have a copy of number 11 yet :o

I'm shocked!!