• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi this is my first post and a couple questions

30 posts in this topic

I've been collecting comics for over 30 years back when I was just a kid we would run down to the 7-11 and buy them off that little wire rack that spun around. So recently I started looking at my comics again and noticed CGC.

My first thought is wow what a great idea, finally a third party that can grade comics as a unbiased third party. Just what the doctor ordered. Then I started looking around and realized that comics have turned into the new york stock exchange. Oh well.

My questions are

1) why on earth would people CGC modern day comics?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-367-CGC-9-8-FREE-SHIPPING-/360406339697?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53e9e45071

$26.77 for a comic that is selling for $1.35?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1st-Series-367-NM-/130694738074?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e6e03709a

There's thousand of these comics in mint condition collecting dust in a storage containers. I see this all over ebay.

2) is there some kind of bulk discount CGC gives out. it seems that $25 is the lowest tier pricing yet I see things selling for either a loss or they are paying much less then $25

thanks

I've been collecting comics for over 30 years back when I was just a kid we would run down to the 7-11 and buy them off that little wire rack that spun around. So recently I started looking at my comics again and noticed CGC.

My first thought is wow what a great idea, finally a third party that can grade comics as a unbiased third party. Just what the doctor ordered. Then I started looking around and realized that comics have turned into the new york stock exchange. Oh well.

My questions are

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-367-CGC-9-8-FREE-SHIPPING-/360406339697?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53e9e45071

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1963-1st-Series-367-NM-/130694738074?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e6e03709a

There's thousand of these comics in mint condition collecting dust in a storage containers. I see this all over ebay.

2) is there some kind of bulk discount CGC gives out. it seems that $25 is the lowest tier pricing yet I see things selling for either a loss or they are paying much less then $25

thanks

(1) Some people want CGC graded 9.8 comics in their collections. That is why people slab them. They either do it for themselves or they do it to sell to the people that want them.

(2) I have never done enough books to get a bulk discount, but maybe.

Welcome to the boards. As someone who predominately collects modern comics, I do it for the presentation and the assurance that my books is of high quality. Also, as someone who moves around the globe with a frequency, the Slabbed books take much better than my floppies, especially when they are sent to a government contracted storage facility for 6 - 12 months.

I collect 9.8 moderns of key books that personally appeal to me - which is not very many. I buy them slabbed to ensure I have high grades, certified signatures and I kinda dig the feel of a slab.

And I can tell you from experience (as well as other people as well) that you can spend lots and lots of money trying to find those thousands of "mint" books on Ebay - and eventually you'll find a one that will hit 9.8, but not after you've blown $30-$40 trying to find it. A lot of the time, you are better off buying the slab than hunting down a NM+ book.

But, that's for people like me who have limited access to perusing raw books. I live in a small town with one LCS.

WTTB!

oh i didn't realize that there was a modern tier of $18 dollars is it new i didn't see it a couple months ago? That makes more sense.

Keep in mind that unless you are in Sarasota, you need to pay shipping. You can submit at shows to avoid shipping to CGC, but the return shipping can add as much as $5/book for smaller subs, $2-$3 for large subs.

Add in eBay paypal fees, and you are correct in that anything being sold on eBay for $25 is pretty much a break even proposition, even accounting for a 10% online grading discount from a CGC partner.

I buy books that I like with absolutely no care as to if people think they are worth money or not. I pay pretty good attention to the market, so typically know the pricing for books I am interested in.

Enjoy these boards, but take notice that there is an easy 100 different type of collector here and we try and be respectful to what others enjoy. Collect what you like, but try and not criticize others for enjoying their hobby how they like.

WTTB! Your timeline is pretty similar to mine. I agree sometimes the slabs are evaluated like stocks, but on some level the books become investments so that is I guess inevitable. IMHO I haven't seen the general level of enthusiasm for the books as art and stories suffer for that, but I don't have so much sunk into my books that I have to treat it like a portfolio. I miss buying the books like that though, in the corner stores and drug stores or just about anywhere. That I really miss.

I got used to CGC pretty quick. The biggest difference between the good old days and now is the internet and growing online sales. That's the whole story about CGC. CGC helps manage the big risk of big books over bigger distances.

This is a fun place, you are going to like it here. :)

My questions are

thanks

Welcome to the boards dude.

I don't really get CGCing modern comics. I guess they just want to build the best, highest CGC grade set of their favorite books. Yes, many of the books are common, even in high grade, but 9.8 and higher are still fairly hard to find. Most modern books wouldn't grade 9.8 even if never read.

Collecting moderns signed by one or more of the creators and witnessed and graded by CGC is also very popular. I can see the appeal.

Yes, many books are selling for less than the cost to grade them. I like to think of them as costly mistakes. Some people don't realize how strict CGC grades and submit books that aren't worth the cost of grading.

I buy books that I like with absolutely no care as to if people think they are worth money or not. I pay pretty good attention to the market, so typically know the pricing for books I am interested in.

Enjoy these boards, but take notice that there is an easy 100 different type of collector here and we try and be respectful to what others enjoy. Collect what you like, but try and not criticize others for enjoying their hobby how they like.

Well said (thumbs u