• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 dilema....

72 posts in this topic

Ok, so I talked my gf into buying an AF15 with me last year as an investment for the future. It was a UK version but it looked great. We got a great deal on it and sent it in to CGC and it came back as a 7.0 Blue label, which is the highest graded UK (to me that means it's a very special comic, because at this point in CGCs existence you would think if someone had a better one it would have been slabbed by now).

So now my GF wants to buy a foreclosure property because of all the great deals we could get on foreclosures around our area. And then make money on it as a rental.

To put a down payment on a foreclosure we would probably have to sell the AF 15 7.0.

So my question to you guys is this..... if you were in my position, what would you do? Rental property or AF 15? Which is the best investment? What do you think?

P1050720.jpg

Ok, so I talked my gf into buying an AF15 with me last year as an investment for the future. It was a UK version but it looked great. We got a great deal on it and sent it in to CGC and it came back as a 7.0 Blue label, which is the highest graded UK (to me that means it's a very special comic, because at this point in CGCs existence you would think if someone had a better one it would have been slabbed by now).

So now my GF wants to buy a foreclosure property because of all the great deals we could get on foreclosures around our area. And then make money on it as a rental.

To put a down payment on a foreclosure we would probably have to sell the AF 15 7.0.

So my question to you guys is this..... if you were in my position, what would you do? Rental property or AF 15? Which is the best investment? What do you think?

P1050720.jpg

The question you have to ask is can you live in a comic??

P1050720.jpg

You Engliah are so proper, I was going to say "can you take a dump in an AF 15".

Hope the Jubilee was grand.

From someone who sells comics and owns rental property, I can say that each has its perks.

For comics, you've got a good book, but not a great one b/c it's a UK version. Probably worth 65% to 70% of a US version. Still you've seen great appreciation in the last 12 months. The comic will never cost you another dime and is highly liquid.

For a rental unit, you will own real property. You'll be able to collect rental income for as long as you want and if you buy it right, your property will appreciate in value.

The cons for the comic are few..as you already own it and it doesn't have any associated expenses with it (unless you carry an insurance policy). Worst case is it gets lost/stolen/destroyed. If it's insured, you're covered. If not, you lose everything.

The cons for rental units are MUCH greater...you have to deal with renters, you have upkeep of the property, you have to BUY the property (or at least put a sizable payment down) and depending on where it is, have HOA fees, etc. If you get deadbeat renters, you'll end up paying double mortgage. If they tear it up, you'll have to repair it. You'll get calls at midnight b/c of leaky toilets. The list goes on and on...but don't get discouraged by that.

Both have their pros and cons....if you think you can get a slammin good deal on a rental, you can always buy another comic. My ? would be....can you afford to do both?

Either way, some one's going to be in a world of butthurt.

looks like its time to get a new girlfriend (thumbs u

Brutal...I was going to at least ask for pics of said GF before making an informed decision. :baiting:

I'm not going to post a pic of GF, but she is super hot, and she is a Spaniard so she has the hot accent too.

The key to finding forclosed property is making sure there is no back taxes owed or liens on the property, other wise that is an out of pocket expense you have to pay upfront.

Long term real estate is likely the best value, find something cheap fix it up as you go, rent it to pay off the mortgage, then sell at a profit when the market is up. But it can be a money pit as well.I bought a Condo in 2003 and its now 2012 and we are stuck with it for as the market still sucks either we take a hit or hang on till the market improves eventually

AF 15 is likely easier to liquidate but if you bought it recently your not going to get a big bump at the moment. I bought an Af 15 recently I plan on hanging on to it longer term to see what happens.

Its likely easier to own a book than real estate all things factored in

U.K. edition hold as much value as U.S. edition?

I was wondering the same thing. I doubt it would hold the same value but any approximate percentage of the US edition in similar grade?

As Columbia stated, the UK edition usually gets somewhere between 60 - 70% of the U.S. version's value. I would say in the lower grades the percentage is probably closer to 50%, but then, AF 15s are in such demand...

But you don't have to maintain an AF 15...

Seriously though, it depends on your financial needs. AF 15 will only pay off when you sell it. The rental property will provide a steady stream of income, but it comes with more headache and work.

The key to finding forclosed property is making sure there is no back taxes owed or liens on the property, other wise that is an out of pocket expense you have to pay upfront.

Long term real estate is likely the best value, find something cheap fix it up as you go, rent it to pay off the mortgage, then sell at a profit when the market is up. But it can be a money pit as well.I bought a Condo in 2003 and its now 2012 and we are stuck with it for as the market still sucks either we take a hit or hang on till the market improves eventually

AF 15 is likely easier to liquidate but if you bought it recently your not going to get a big bump at the moment. I bought an Af 15 recently I plan on hanging on to it longer term to see what happens.

Its likely easier to own a book than real estate all things factored in

Trust me the bump hes about to make is a lot if he sells it, my guess is 500% :shy: