• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do printer creases detract from a CGC grade?

11 posts in this topic

Just wondering if any of you guys can answer this question generally rather than for a specific case.

Also, as Im not sure if printer crease is a universal term for the sort of defect which I use it (the term) for I shall elaborate.

RedRavens dictionary defines as....

Printer Crease: extremely fine crease in a comics cover stock which occured when the stock was placed on the roll. Does not result in a color break as the crease existed before the print process was applied.

Just wondering if any of you guys can answer this question generally rather than for a specific case.

Also, as Im not sure if printer crease is a universal term for the sort of defect which I use it (the term) for I shall elaborate.

RedRavens dictionary defines as....

Printer Crease: extremely fine crease in a comics cover stock which occured when the stock was placed on the roll. Does not result in a color break as the crease existed before the print process was applied.

9.8 and lower I don't think it does.

Also I think wrong forum.

Depends on where the printer crease is at, and how big. If its going right through Punishers head it can knock the grade down a notch. If its small on on the lower back cover corner it probably will not affect the grade.

Not as much as it should

Best comment ^^

I believe previous posts are correct and it doesn't affect the CGC grade much at all. But when buying raw books I usually pass on this defect. It's the same way with off-center (poorly justified) covers. A little bit of white along the spine is OK. 1/4" or more I find less appealing. But I've seen lots of 9.6's and some 9.8's with poor justification of the cover.

I have a Brave and the Bold 86 with a 9.6 grade. Its got a huge crease practically going from right to left on the back. My Brave Bold 100 is a 9.4, but it has a 4 inch crease on the front.

Not as much as it should

Best comment ^^

I believe previous posts are correct and it doesn't affect the CGC grade much at all. But when buying raw books I usually pass on this defect. It's the same way with off-center (poorly justified) covers. A little bit of white along the spine is OK. 1/4" or more I find less appealing. But I've seen lots of 9.6's and some 9.8's with poor justification of the cover.

I couldn't agree more. I wish CGC took these into account when grading. Yes, it's production related but it's still a defect and a defect that is, imo, uglier, than slightly off centered books.

Not as much as it should

Best comment ^^

I couldn't agree more. I wish CGC took these into account when grading. Yes, it's production related but it's still a defect and a defect that is, imo, uglier, than slightly off centered books.

Note to self: Send the King Kong nutsack creased Giant Sized Conan 1 to Jeffro.

Not as much as it should

Best comment ^^

Note to self: Send the King Kong nutsack creased Giant Sized Conan 1 to Jeffro.

lol!

Depends on where the printer crease is at, and how big. If its going right through Punishers head it can knock the grade down a notch. If its small on on the lower back cover corner it probably will not affect the grade.

You'd think that would be the case, but we've posted examples in the past that disprove it being factored in that way by CGC. Greggy posted a few books with creases that went from the top cover all the way to the bottom edge right down the central part of the book that CGC gave the 9.8 grade to.

CGC overlooks production defects waaaaaaaay too much in their grading. :eek: