• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdcomixncardz and CGG

146 posts in this topic

That long email you got from the LoC (posted in the thread you linked to above) is great. In there they confirm that mylar with buffered back board is a better storage environment than sealed in a slab.

Which part? I didn't catch anything to support the microchamber is worse than alkaline-buffered backing boards.

Here is what Daniel said at the CPG boards.............

Hello to everyone, my name is Daniel Patterson and I am the head grader at CGGroup.

We are accepting orders from this person again. After our investigation we had no proof he had done anything wrong, and have never had problems with any of his books when they came through our offices. One book that had been said to have color touch we retrieved and could find no color touch on the book. To further help avoid any possibility of book switching, or any other possible fraud, we have implemented new security features which make any duplication of the inner holder or label next to impossible, and making it very difficult for anyone to possibly switch out one book for another.

And to clarify on other things I have read, nobody's books get graded quickly or the restoration check ignored, or are given special grades or treatment. We treat all our customers the same, with respect and good customer service. While this may never satisfy some people we will continue do so.

Thank you, and I hope to post on more positive things in the future.

Daniel Patterson 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

WTF!!! sign-rantpost.gif

I can't believe this. It was more than one book, no??? 893whatthe.gif

Wow, isn't that just too convenient? "Well, they found the scans that said this month, Dan." "[!@#%^&^], Don, perhaps you'll have to make a post on the board saying we are allowing TDComix to submit again." "Yeah, that'll do it!"

The conversations they must have at that place.. wink.gif

Brian

I wonder if it's like in the movies.

Where Daniel says something, then puts on his Groucho Glasses to reply in another voice, then takes them off and says something else...etc.

They say after you've lived a lie long enough, you don't know what the truth is anymore.

I wonder when they'll hire a new employee named "Bates".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

**Mother!! Oh GOD, Mother!!**

insane.gif

Wow, isn't that just too convenient? "Well, they found the scans that said this month, Dan." "[!@#%^&^], Don, perhaps you'll have to make a post on the board saying we are allowing TDComix to submit again." "Yeah, that'll do it!"

Brian

sign-funnypost.gif

Microchamber paper absorbs gasses and loses effectiveness. Does not have an alkaline reserve like the boards do.

Can you go into more detail, or cite sources that led you to believe the boards are better than microchamber paper? I never want to mislead anyone...I'm not a conservationist, and nobody else around here either except "newerthannew" (Tracey Heft), so all of our knowledge comes from somewhere else.

You seem to be inferring that you've learned the boards last longer than the microchamber paper. The useful lifetime of the 3% buffered boards offered by Bill Cole and E. Gerber has been a topic of interest to me for many years, but I've never found any useful information to indicate how long their boards should last. I asked Bill Cole directly, and he said they should remain effective "forever." I asked the current manager at E. Gerber, and he said he wasn't sure but had heard two lines of thinking--around 10 years, or forever. You sound like you've dug up more info about those boards...can you go into more detail about it?

Microchamber paper absorbs gasses and loses effectiveness. Does not have an alkaline reserve like the boards do.

Can you go into more detail, or cite sources that led you to believe the boards are better than microchamber paper? I never want to mislead anyone...I'm not a conservationist, and nobody else around here either except "newerthannew" (Tracey Heft), so all of our knowledge comes from somewhere else.

You seem to be inferring that you've learned the boards last longer than the microchamber paper. The useful lifetime of the 3% buffered boards offered by Bill Cole and E. Gerber has been a topic of interest to me for many years, but I've never found any useful information to indicate how long their boards should last. I asked Bill Cole directly, and he said they should remain effective "forever." I asked the current manager at E. Gerber, and he said he wasn't sure but had heard two lines of thinking--around 10 years, or forever. You sound like you've dug up more info about those boards...can you go into more detail about it?

Here's an idea James. Since you aren't inclined to listen to what I have to say, instead of breaking my balls and asking me all these questions, why don't you follow your own advice, do your own homework, and draft some emails to Tracey Heft and to the Library of Congress and get some answers that you can post here?

Here's an idea James. Since you aren't inclined to listen to what I have to say, instead of breaking my balls and asking me all these questions, why don't you follow your own advice, do your own homework, and draft some emails to Tracey Heft and to the Library of Congress and get some answers that you can post here?

He may seem to be breaking your balls but he's not. FF's known for being very inquisitive in his quest for knowledge. Facts & empirical evidence are what he seeks. Can be annoying as hell sometimes. 893frustrated.gif

He may seem to be breaking your balls but he's not. FF's known for being very inquisitive in his quest for knowledge. Facts & empirical evidence are what he seeks. Can be annoying as hell sometimes. 893frustrated.gif

Fine, but he knows he can get the information straight from the source. He should do it instead of having me ask his questions for him.

The most telling aspect of Dan's explanation is the fact that TD was altering the scans beforehand. Why would they care whether they were allowed to resubmit books to CGG unless they were trying to hide the fact? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Some of the altered scans since TD has seen fit that he was caught and pulled them.....

cggs1.jpg

cggswt7.jpg

This one is still up but the date has been digitally blurred....

cgggs6a.jpg

Jim

I'm not breaking your balls. I've noticed you prickling when I ask you questions, but I don't really understand why. confused.gif I'm not trying to challenge your credibility, I'm trying to search for knowledge. If you haven't noticed yet, discussing preservation, restoration, and grading are the main reason I frequent these boards. I've asked NUMEROUS knowledgable people (I mentioned Bill Cole and George at E. Gerber before, but I have also asked Tracey) about the relative quality of the 3% buffered boards, but I've gotten conflicting answers. I didn't think asking the LoC was appropriate because I assume they can't speak for the relative quality of the Cole/Gerber boards since they probably haven't had direct experience with them. I'm asking you here because you sound like you may have found some answers somewhere...you're the first person I've heard claim that the 3% boards are better than microchamber paper. Do you recall what led you to that conclusion? I'll question your sources directly if you can recall where you learned it, but I'm tapped out on where to find answers about the 3% boards. crazy.gif

I especially want to figure out how long it should be before you replace them. I find it hard to believe Bill Cole's assertion that his boards last "forever" before they become saturated with acid, particularly since he was openly telling people for a while that the Barex in the CGC case wasn't archival, yet that test Tracey had a lab run showed that wasn't the case. I think Bill's position must have been that the LoC hadn't tested Barex and given it the "archival" blessing, so therefore he was just saying it wasn't archival without evidence to really back it up, although I could be wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif I did ask him if he had specific info about the non-archivalness of the case, but he didn't seem to have any...this was prior to Tracey running that test, if memory serves (late 2000).

FF, very interesting. My suggestion: this is OT in this thread, but seems to be very worthy of research and discussion. Please start a separate thread and do a dump of everything you are willing to share; maybe between you and other members of the board we can make a "quest" of it and hopefully get some conclusions. thumbsup2.gif

Please start a separate thread and do a dump of everything you are willing to share; maybe between you and other members of the board we can make a "quest" of it and hopefully get some conclusions. thumbsup2.gif

I've had some separate threads in the past on the topic, although it's probably been over a year since the last one, and at least one or two "fell off the edge of the boards" from back when Arch was deleting threads without posts in the prior 6 months or so. I'll start a new one up in the grading forum. After years of looking for info on it, I'm starting to think this is the kind of topic almost nobody knows the answer to, but I could be wrong.