• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best horror movie magazines

12 posts in this topic

what do you think are the best horror-movie magazines,id say famous monsters,psychotronic and castle of frankenstein are my favs,of the modern mags id say horrorhound,the vhs articles in horrorhound are great,i have some of the rare issues of my mags for sale in the mixed age threads selling forum here,i thought deep red by chas balun was very good too but there wasnt many issues,i was surprised to see even adam film quarterly from the 60s had some horror articles,gore gazzette was good but was more newsletter than magazine but always a good read

This is my fave collecting world right now, but I would pick--

Famous Monsters(The best horror mag ever, just cuz)

Fangoria 1-90(amazingly fun run of mags, great covers and interviews-- I hear its better now-- I have mentioned here before but many of the older key issues seem to be jumping up in price recently-- Just FYI)

Deep Red, good call... I am a big fan of these square bound books. I hear they are going up in price recently too, so good time t snag a few before they get blown out. The publishers of that printed a lt of very cool horror books over the 80's and early 90's by Balun and others. Fun stuff.

Cinefantastique from 1971-1989 (past that they turned into pamflets of their former self) Seriously under rated magazine for the film fan-- awesome covers and the stock they printed on looks stunning in a myler)

Slaughter House 1-5 was a fun little Indie horror mag.

Film Threat. Indie film mag that covered a lot of cool Horror stuff.

Mediascene(Steranko coolness, just got into these little buggers recently)

Horrorhound is very cool. I have to admit I like it much better than Rue Morgue, which seems to just be a review and AD mag now.

I have recently picked up a run of Fantastic Films from the 70's and 80's. Very cool mag.

I have never read Gore Gazette myself but would love too. have only a couple issues of Psychotronic and would like to see more. Filmfax is pretty cool as well, but caters to pretty old esoteric stuff.

There are many others-- Gorezone, horror Fan, Toxic Horror, Fear... etc. Sadly not many are very good.

Be curious to read Adam, haven't run across them before myself.

Any chance to talk about horror film mags I am down with.

Oh and one last one... Not a magazine but an actual Newspaper. Monster Times was printed between I think 72 and 76 and are very hard to find in very nice shape, saying that they are really great and can be had for pennies usually when found.

I recently bought from an original owner a huge stack of Starlogs,Fantastic films

Monster times,Future life,Fangorias and a few Castle of Frankensteins.

1 Star battles,3 Star warp,and a few oddities.

Oh save for numbers 1 and 2,COMPLETE run of CINEFEX.

I would like however to start a collection of Famous monsters.

Also Screen thrills,Monster world and other warren publications from the 60's and 70's.

Starlogs are pretty mint and the Fangorias are quite flawless also. :cloud9:

It still makes me time travel to look at a few extremely gory pictures from Fangoria and Starlog and think thats all we had to rely on before there was something like the internet.

If those Cinefex are in nice shape, you'll find a number of rather expensive(for film mags anyway) key issues. Even a few recent issues for for odd amounts like the Avatar issue.

Starlogs never seemed to pick up. I still think they are cool but they never really turned into a true collectors item like say its sister magazine Fangoria that has tons of key issues. True 9.4 and above Fango's are actually a lot rarer than you think(before 1990 that is)-- I still dont get why Starlogs never took off on the collector market, even Cinefantastique has issues that command a few dollars like the star wars and alien issues, as well as a number of the older 70's ones. Odd.

I highly recomend starting a famous Monsters collection. Try and keep your minimum grade to VF+ or higher and you'll have a great time on the hunt to find issues to meet it. (still fairly cheap yet hard enough to find to make it fun)Honestly if you aren't buying in the 9.4 and higher pool you can still find plenty of these issues for decent prices. It was a fun collection to put together over the years.

Screen Thrills and Monster World are pretty easy to find as well...

Happy hunting.

great list of titles bronzejunkie,i agree with you on fangoria,it seemed after bob martin left as editor the mag declined so i lost interest in it,draculina fearbooks were good they were compilations of the early issues,i didnt care for the regular later issues,the shock cinema early issues were real good,covered mostly drive in movies but some horror,i have alot of key issues of mags for sale in my thread in selling forum here but if your looking for certain titles let me know and ill check what i have,gore gazzette was around 10-15 pages stapled together,the reviews were hilarious,the editor rick sullivan would put together some showings of films in nyc with special guest like dyanne thorne